Relegation thread

Knutserov13

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Chances are that at least one of those won't happen and that's us done

Could be made up with getting some against Arsenal.

Another thing is that Man City qualifying isn’t a direct effect. Southampton could be changed by Everton.

Still a lot a variables, but what I’ve mentioned was the best possible scenario. The better one is us to win against Arsenal and to have an upper hand before the last game.

6 minutes ago, Villastine said:

I still believe. Villa supporters deserve to stay up

I really think our team isn’t as bad as the table suggest. We had a lot of games such as yesterday. Doesn’t show the real performance. Which affect results and upcoming performances. 
I think our worst part was not getting enough draws. 
For example: Palace a, Arsenal a, Liverpool h, Bournemouth a, Spurs h. All of these could’ve easily been draws. Add to that, Chelsea h, Wolves h. If only half of that ended as draws things would’ve been much different. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

We need a point at Arsenal or we’re relegated, that’s right isn’t it? 

Depends on Watford. If they got hammered next 2 games then we could be 3 points behind with 1 game to go and a closer goal difference. But realistically it’s beat Arsenal or go down really. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, mrchnry said:

Tomorrow result is crucial. Then Bournemouth will play Southampton before our game with Arsenal.

Same goes with Watford and Man City.

We’ll have a clear view before we kick a ball against Arsenal.

However, any result tomorrow apart from a West Ham win means we need something against Arsenal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Only if West Ham and Watford draw. If either win, then we can still stay up on 34 points and a swing in GD.

A pretty big swing would be needed compared to West Ham - they could lose 6 goals between Watford and Man Utd and we’d still have to beat them by 3, for example.

With Watford it’s more conceivable that the GD would be overturned if they lost all 3 matches, but chasing them  would be out of our hands.

We’re also assuming, just because we have to, that Bournemouth get to 34 points (and -2 GD) or fewer.

Basically, we want one of Watford and West Ham to win. Which one is down to personal preference. If that happens, we could potentially still stay up after losing to Arsenal, as unlikely as it may be.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Only if West Ham and Watford draw. If either win, then we can still stay up on 34 points and a swing in GD.

A pretty big swing would be needed compared to West Ham - they could lose 6 goals between Watford and Man Utd and we’d still have to beat them by 3, for example.

With Watford it’s more conceivable that the GD would be overturned if they lost all 3 matches, but chasing them  would be out of our hands.

We’re also assuming, just because we have to, that Bournemouth get to 34 points (and -2 GD) or fewer.

Basically, we want one of Watford and West Ham to win. Which one is down to personal preference. If that happens, we could potentially still stay up after losing to Arsenal, as unlikely as it may be.

Hoping for a West Ham win. Need them to be safe on the last day.  Going into the last 2 games:

West Ham - 37 points 

Watford - 34 points

Villa - 31 points

Bournemouth - 31 points

A draw against Arsenal could be huge.

• Like 3

Just now, Keyblade said:

Hoping for a West Ham win. Need them to be safe on the last day.  Going into the last 2 games:

West Ham - 37 points 

Watford - 34 points

Villa - 31 points

Bournemouth - 31 points

A draw against Arsenal could be huge.

I’m going for a Watford win myself, since I can see them getting something against Arsenal themselves. Would be awful to beat West Ham and still go down, even if it is with 34/35 points.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

I’m going for a Watford win myself, since I can see them getting something against Arsenal themselves. Would be awful to beat West Ham and still go down, even if it is with 34/35 points.

I don't think my heart could take a straight shoot out with West Ham. We'd probably lose that handily too. If Watford take a point against Arsenal, it should be fine as long as we do too. Really hope City give em a throwback thrashing. Another 8-0 would do just fine.

• Like 1

I thought we were down already before the Palace game, it's most likely we're down now but I have a bit more hope looking at how we've played in spells int he last two. Midfield playing very well at times, our gambles on signing strikers this season just haven't worked though and Davis for all his good work still hasn't hit the back of the net.

I hope the way we conceded late doesn't take too much wind out their sails, playing as we are we might be able to get a result against Arsenal but they will need to be off the pace and have a bad day. Realistically only a win will do and we still need some pretty big favours from other teams... 

• Like 2

We gotta be looking at it like this, win the next 2 and we're safe. 2 of the 3 teams aren't getting 37 points, and if 1 of them happens to be Watford, we'll likely have a better goal difference. Team needs to go into these games thinking they need to win.

I think Arsenal are beatable but we need the right attitude and hopefully they beat City in FA Cup to distract them. 

In turn this will piss City off for the Watford game 

• Like 2

Let's focus on which result would be best for us tonight, rather than on last night's game and on whether we can actually get the points that we would need to stay up, whatever the result is tonight. 

West Ham win - We cannot realistically catch them. They would be 6 points clear of us and they would have a minimum of a 13-goal difference advantage over us. Watford would have at best a 5-goal difference advantage over us. We would need a minimum of one win, to draw level with them on points and would also need to see them lose by a combined margin of 5 goals or more against Manchester City and Arsenal. We would need 4 points from our last two games, should they draw a game, or lose both, but maintain their goal difference advantage over us. If they won one, the chances are their goal difference would keep them up. 

Watford win - We would need to win our last two games and for them to lose against both Manchester City and Arsenal, we would also need to see their goal difference advantage over us evaporate. West Ham would be level with us on points on the last day, should they lose at Manchester United and we beat Arsenal. A win for us would send them down, even if they got a point at Manchester United. 

Draw - We would need to beat Arsenal and for West Ham to fail to beat Manchester United, to take our season to the last day. We would then need to win at West Ham, to send them down. We would need 4 points and to make up the 6-goal advantage Watford presently have over us, to finish above them, should they lose their last two games. If Watford were to draw one of those two games, we would need then two wins, to send them down.

By the way, we will also need to better the results that Bournemouth get against Southampton and Everton, or match them and also make up the present 2-goal advantage they have over us goal difference wise. 

Things would have seemed so much rosier, had we clung on to all three points last night. If only we were now only a point behind both Watford and West Ham, as well as two points clear of Bournemouth.:(    

Edited by John
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Best result for us from tonight's game would be an heavy defeat for Watford, as they're closer to us in terms of goal difference and are much more catchable in that regard than West Ham, that would put them closer and would mean that West Ham would be virtually safe so would hopefully make a little less determinded on the last day of the season.

Also there's still a small chance we could catch Watford with just three more points, wouldn't take the most bizzare set of results,  can't say the same for catching West Ham if they lose tonight.

• Like 2

Watford and west ham will play out a dtaw im sure of that. Has 0-0 all over it.

We blew it yet again and have no one but ourselves to blame.

Too many bottlers and wimps in this team. We need to sign some hard bastards in the summer with passion

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Watford and west ham will play out a dtaw im sure of that. Has 0-0 all over it.

We blew it yet again and have no one but ourselves to blame.

Too many bottlers and wimps in this team. We need to sign some hard bastards in the summer with passion

I don't think passion stopped us last night. 

Lack of quality has always been the major issue. 

• Like 2