Borja Bastón

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Davis has looked good against decent English opposition. Lately now against Leicester. Borja has not based on his career in the PL so far. So I'd say it's not weird but a very empirical position to take. 

But this guy has scored goals in the championship, more than Davis.  Neither has done it in the PL

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Now that I think about it, I don't know why we couldn't have just recalled Hogan and kept him. He had a better minute per goal ratio with Stoke this season than Baston has had with Swansea.

Because Hogan is woeful in all aspects of football. 

This guy might not score loads but his overall performances will be much better than scott Hogan. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But this guy has scored goals in the championship, more than Davis.  Neither has done it in the PL

Davis is younger. He's deserved his shot. There's very little to suggest Borja is better and it's very likely Davis can develop a lot more. Davis over Borja is a no brainer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because Hogan is woeful in all aspects of football. 

This guy might not score loads but his overall performances will be much better than scott Hogan. 

I do hope it will be and will be keeping a close eye on that aspect. But if he's just gonna be another one of those strikers who can only score goals and does absoluutely nothing else then I'd rather Hogan(and even then neither are very prolific).

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Davis has looked good against decent English opposition. Lately now against Leicester. Borja has not based on his career in the PL so far. So it's Davis first until he proves otherwise. 

Not sure I agree.  Let them prove it on the pitch, Davis doesn’t score so his link up play is his attribute, let’s see what this Baston does.  Probably going to be not enough but can’t hurt looking because Davis is no world beater so nothing to lose.

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I do hope it will be and will be keeping a close eye on that aspect. But if he's just gonna be another one of those strikers who can only score goals and does absoluutely nothing else then I'd rather Hogan(and even then neither are very prolific).

E

I think you forget just how awful Scott Hogan was for us and still is. 

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Davis is younger. He's deserved his shot. There's very little to suggest Borja is better and it's very likely Davis can develop a lot more. Davis over Borja is a no brainer. 

We know what Davis can do, we don’t re Borja.  I think Borja deserves a little look because we have low expectations of him but he can score as his history has proved although at lower levels and generally in Spain.

For me, it’s a no brainer to see what this guy can do seeing as we have him.  He’s had a bad time at Swansea but must have been something there that they paid 15.5m for him originally.  If not, he’s another body but worth a look over what Davis gives us.

Anyway it’s not binary, we can try both over the coming games to see what works, and mix it up with our three strikers.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No chance he should play over Davis. I'd be very disappointed if that was the case. 

I would like the manager to pick whoever is doing best in training and who he thinks will score goals we need. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t score goals, but if we do why would you mind which of them is getting minutes? (Hopefully they both do well and push each other - competition is good).

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I really like Davis but Borja has scored 20+ in league seasons, I think you can easily argue this the other way. As I just said I hope they both push each other and both do well.

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If you have no brains maybe, otherwise taking a more empirical and nuanced approach, you might notice they have very different characteristics, and will be played for different purposes in different situations.

Davis is young, powerful and has pace, and can hold the ball up, but lacks goal scoring instinct so far. 

Borja is experienced, and a skilled, technical goal scorer good at getting into the box, but lacks pace and the ability to hold the ball up.

If you could combine the two together as one player they'd be awesome, as it is we will utilise them in different situations to utilise their skill sets dependent on what we need in a game. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

So you’ve written Wes off but Davis should get another shot.  Davis had a shot in Championship with roughly the same amount of minutes as Wes has had in Premiership.  No logic there at all.  

Your attitude towards players seems arbitrary.....Wes and Baston bad, Davis good! 😂😂😂

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So you’ve written Wes off but Davis should get another shot.  Davis had a shot in Championship with roughly the same amount of minutes as Wes has had in Premiership.  No logic there at all.  

Your attitude towards players seems arbitrary.....Wes and Baston bad, Davis good! 😂😂😂

It's not rocket science. I've just seen more of Wes than Davis. I'd be equally critical of Davis if he had been playing as much in this team as Wes has and shown the same lethargic shit performances. 

And fwiw I've not written him off. I've quite clearly said, again, and again and again that I hope he develops, improves and comes back stronger.  Unfortunately half the eager posters on this forum seem incapable of reading more than one sentence. 

And you really need to stop putting words into my mouth. I've not once said that Borja is bad or won't achieve anything for us. In fact I said despite of him being a championship reject, I said the signing made sense. I just don't expect anything cause he's failed before at this level. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's not rocket science. I've just seen more of Wes than Davis. I'd be equally critical of Davis if he had been playing as much in this team as Wes has and shown the same lethargic shit performances. 

And fwiw I've not written him off. I've quite clearly said, again, and again and again that I hope he develops, improves and comes back stronger.  Unfortunately half the eager posters on this forum seem incapable of reading more than one sentence. 

And you really need to stop putting words into my mouth. I've not once said that Borja is bad or won't achieve anything for us. In fact I said despite of him being a championship reject, I said the signing made sense. I just don't expect anything cause he's failed before at this level. 

Well I’ve seen more of Davis over the years in between his injuries than the half a season I’ve seen of Wes.  Both have potential and the shit performances you mention, the whole team was shit aside from Grealish.  Arguably Wes was doing ok, scoring 4 goals if I’m right up until mid October when we had that long hard run against the top teams for about 7 or 8 matches.

On 01/02/2020 at 14:18, smokingzen said:

If you have no brains maybe, otherwise taking a more empirical and nuanced approach, you might notice they have very different characteristics, and will be played for different purposes in different situations.

Davis is young, powerful and has pace, and can hold the ball up, but lacks goal scoring instinct so far. 

Borja is experienced, and a skilled, technical goal scorer good at getting into the box, but lacks pace and the ability to hold the ball up.

If you could combine the two together as one player they'd be awesome, as it is we will utilise them in different situations to utilise their skill sets dependent on what we need in a game. 

We'll be lobbying to play 14 players soon on the premise, that one player has not got all the required skills.

Edited by TRO

Â