Borja Bastón

alreadyexists

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is ahead of Davis in the pecking order. 

No chance, he's a necessity signing and one dictated by ffp. Davis is a sicknote and this is a very smart move, its a no lose situation and who knows, sometimes players just click somewhere, he knows where the net is and can finish, if called upon he is probably as good as what we already have all considered.

Welcome Baston! 

No one's slick as Baston
No one's quick as Baston
No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Baston's

Who play cards like Baston?
Who break hearts like Baston?
Who's much more than the sum of his parts like Baston?

No one fights like Baston
Douses lights like Baston
In a wrestling match nobody bites like Baston

No one hits like Baston
Matches wits like Baston
In a spitting match nobody spits like Baston

Who has brains like Baston
Entertains like Baston!
Who can make up these endless refrains like Baston

No one scores goals like Baston! 

Image result for gaston meme

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He's won an average of 1.9 aerial duel per game this season with Swansea. I wouldn't really say that's good. But if you're referring to heading prowess then maybe.

I’m looking at all the headers he scores in his videos. Not hold up play or anything like that, I don’t think that’ll be his strength at all going by his complaints that English football is so long ball compared to Spain. But he seems to have a bullet header.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Ngl, I'd be annoyed if Smith puts him on the bench over Davis.

I trust DS to make the right decision. Sentiment doesn’t come into it.

Davis hasn’t actually done much of note in a Villa shirt. Baston may not be the best thing since sliced bread but he has a better scoring record than Davies. 

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

My favourite was “I hope he never plays for us” - if we are just hoping, why not hope he turns out to be really good? People are hilarious. I doubt he’s going to be our next great striker but if you don’t even hope for it what does bring you any happiness as a fan?

The hope as a fan is what keeps me coming back every year. Whether that’s winning the next game, defying the odds to get to a cup final or the chance that we could surprise everyone and win the final. The potential is what excites me. I’m not blindly naive, I know it can and regularly goes wrong. But just expecting that outcome must lead to a miserable existence. 

I hope he gets some confidence and finds some form with us, he might be useful coming off the bench for a last minute winner one day. But then I’m pretty optimistic and choose to see things positively. Not everyone is. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Ink still drying and some have already written him off? Impressive levels of dismissal really.

Football fans are a special kind of stupid.

The issue is fans that do this are setting themselves up for disappointment and frustration. Now this would be fine if their frustrations were in a vacuum and only affected them, but it's guaranteed that if Baston does well in training and starts a game for us that there will be outrage. Fans have already closed the door on Baston when he's a complete unknown and that makes zero sense to me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Football fans are a special kind of stupid.

The issue is fans that do this are setting themselves up for disappointment and frustration. Now this would be fine if their frustrations were in a vacuum and only affected them, but it's guaranteed that if Baston does well in training and starts a game for us that there will be outrage. Fans have already closed the door on Baston when he's a complete unknown and that makes zero sense to me. 

Hear, hear. Dunno what to say really...

Davis is young, prone to injury and more in the "bring others into play, harass defenders" mold at this point in his development, rather than a player you bring on to score, so I think we may see Baston more than might be expected for reasons both practical and tactical.

Also, I hope he smashes it in training, gets into the side and scores 15 goals before the season is over, because why wouldn't I?

• Like 2

I think this is an excellent signing for us...

The name fits, Baston for Villa!

The price is right... free transfer until the end of the season, essentially taking on his current contract, and I guess an option to extend at the end if he proves himself.

From looking at this highlight reels he looks technically good and more to the point knows where to be in the box. Watching the goals he's scored and how they were set up, and having watched us play and the similar type chances we create, I can't help thinking he'll suit our system well.

Looking at his overall scoring stats he's actually been a broadly 1 in 2, 1 in 3 striker in seasons when he's had the chance to play consistently, including one season in La Liga. Stats are always difficult to read, because the context behind them means everything, they could be playing in poor teams in good leagues, or even a good team that doesn't play a system that suits and doesn't create opportunities.

Looking at his attribute stats though, confirms what i've seen of him, technically good, knows where to be to score goals in the box, but he lacks in pace, defence and overall passing ability, though importantly short pass completion isn't bad. He's 6,1” I think and has good strength stats, but i'd question how that'd translate to the PL and I think he needs to improve in his athleticism.

As such then, as with most of our acquisitions in the last year, we're playing money ball, what that means is we can't afford to get players in who have high stats across the board and are the complete or near complete player. We've looked to bring players in with the key high stats that we need for those positions, with the view we can hopefully coach them up to a higher level and bring their overall stats and all round competency levels up.

Key attributes like attitude and adaptability also come in to the equation, and he seems to be good here too, Jesus knows him from his Athletico days so has a good idea of his character, and the fact he's been out on loan a fair few times, and adapted quickly and scored goals when he has, is a promising sign. I think he knows that he has an amazing opportunity here, possibly his last, to really hit the heights of his potential and play at the top level.

I think the expectations for him all around are relatively low (as evidenced on this forum), and by the 'price', which could be in his favour, as it takes the pressure off. I don't think he'll be a starter, as stats seem to suggest his all around play would weaken us as a team despite the increased goal threat he would give us. (Samatta seems to be better here) The days of out and out strikers, ala Bent, or even Lineker, are gone, few teams can afford from a playing system perspective, players who don't have the broad all round game to contribute fully to the overall team plan. That side can be coached into him more, along with improving his strength and athleticism, but I think he'll be a good impact sub and could nick a few very important goals for us towards the end of matches.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No chance he should play over Davis. I'd be very disappointed if that was the case. 

Other than for loyalty to an existing player, this a weird position to take. David is unproven, we need players who can score goals. I sincerely hope Baston makes the few critics eat their words. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

Â