Borja Bastón

alreadyexists

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It'll be interesting to see how he does with a different type & quality of player around him than he maybe had at Swansea with all due respect to them. Not sure how Swansea play now or when he was starting for them but maybe the likes of Grealish can play him in better? I think i'll find it quite a fascinating signing actually once the disappointment of not signing someone more in demand has evaporated. Sometimes a player just doesn't click at a club as we all know too well, so maybe just maybe it'll all click into place. It appears Dean & co are signing specific player types for the system(s) he wants to play so i'll trust their judgement on this one.

I think you are way off the mark there i'd hazard a guess this guy was not even on the long list at the start of the window, he's come in simply because no one is available at a price we can afford it's highly likely he will never make the bench if Samagoal and Davis stay fit, purely a if it all goes pear shaped through injuries signings.

That said if he impresses DS in training you never know but I feel barring injury we won't even see him play.

(watch him be on the bench today!!)  

Welcome Baston.

I get that people are disappointed with this signing, probably because they believed the rumours about the likes of Piatek at the start of the window and possibly because they play too much football manager and think you can just click a button and the players you want come running.

I see this as a very shrewd move. We have effectively swapped Kodjia for Baston. We also have 2.5m in the bank. Kodjia was an uninterested spent force. This guy will want to prove himself to get a new contract here or elsewhere. He provides better cover than Kodjia for the rest of the season. He may never kick a ball for us, he may not hit the heights that we want, but I cannot realistically see how he could be any worse than Kodjia - he may even get his mojo back here. The good news is that he must want to be here and fight for a place rather than sit at Seansea collecting his wages.

Overall, our strike force now looks good enough to get us to the end of the season and seems good enough to keep us up, we then review in the summer, based on how these three are performing and how Wesley's injury recovery is going. 

Edited by TheStagMan

Only from youtube but he looks technically better than Wesley and Samatta. Seems to be more like Davis, in that he has a good touch and holds the ball up. 

He might not be a goal scoring threat but with our other attacking players he could be important with his link up play. 

9 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Is he eligible for today? 

Probably, but I doubt he would make the bench anyway.

We have samatta and Davis, which allows him to settle in and get a place to stay etc.

Would do him good to get a week or so training under his belt also, it's actually good that we have him but can give him a bit of time to settle.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Only from youtube but he looks technically better than Wesley and Samatta. Seems to be more like Davis, in that he has a good touch and holds the ball up. 

He might not be a goal scoring threat but with our other attacking players he could be important with his link up play. 

Will be interesting to see, but over his career he is a 1 in 3 striker, even with that last 4 years of not doing so well.

With us out of the cups (final ofc), I wonder when he will get a chance?

If davis and samatta dont get injured he will have to train his butt off to get on the bench.

Of course you can guarantee someone will pick up a niggle at some point.

Edited by MaVilla

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

This is a signing with few if any downsides and the potential for big gains. At worst we've paid peanuts for a benchwarmer, at best we've paid peanuts for a decent goalscorer.

Exactly this. What would be the point of benteke/sturridge when we're playing with 1 striker?  Loads if money to sit on the bench and sulk?

I have a feeling once wes is fit again samatta may be used out wide. 

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Will be interesting to see, but over his career he is a 1 in 3 striker, even with that last 4 years of not doing so well.

With us out of the cups (final ofc), I wonder when he will get a chance?

If davis and samatta dont get injured he will have to train his butt off to get on the bench.

Of course you can guarantee someone will pick up a niggle at some point.

It wouldn't surprise me if he is ahead of Davis in the pecking order. 

6 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Exactly this. What would be the point of benteke/sturridge when we're playing with 1 striker?  Loads if money to sit on the bench and sulk?

I have a feeling once wes is fit again samatta may be used out wide. 

Transfermarkt doesn't list him wide forward or winger as being a position of his so it'd be out of the ordinary. Apparently he plays centre-forward and second striker.

I wonder if we could use him as part of a 2 man strike force with Wesley though. 

34 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Welcome Baston.

I get that people are disappointed with this signing, probably because they believed the rumours about the likes of Piatek at the start of the window and possibly because they play too much football manager and think you can just click a button and the players you want come running.

I see this as a very shrewd move. We have effectively swapped Kodjia for Baston. We also have 2.5m in the bank. Kodjia was an uninterested spent force. This guy will want to prove himself to get a new contract here or elsewhere. He provides better cover than Kodjia for the rest of the season. He may never kick a ball for us, he may not hit the heights that we want, but I cannot realistically see how he could be any worse than Kodjia - he may even get his mojo back here. The good news is that he must want to be here and fight for a place rather than sit at Seansea collecting his wages.

Overall, our strike force now looks good enough to get us to the end of the season and seems good enough to keep us up, we then review in the summer, based on how these three are performing and how Wesley's injury recovery is going. 

Agree with this, he is effectively a free hit, offers an alternative to both Kiennan and Samatta.

• Like 1

Â