Borja Bastón

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Other than for loyalty to an existing player, this a weird position to take. David is unproven, we need players who can score goals. I sincerely hope Baston makes the few critics eat their words. 

Davis has looked good against decent English opposition. Lately now against Leicester. Borja has not based on his career in the PL so far. So I'd say it's not weird but a very empirical position to take. 

2 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

The days of out and out strikers, ala Bent, or even Lineker, are gone, few teams can afford from a playing system perspective, players who don't have the broad all round game to contribute fully to the overall team plan. That side can be coached into him more, along with improving his strength and athleticism, but I think he'll be a good impact sub and could nick a few very important goals for us towards the end of matches.

I don't accept that, although I can see where you are coming from. I would be more than happy to have signed Lineker, if he were playing now. He was some player and scored goals for fun at the highest level. I'm sure he would adapt to football now, as would the likes of other past strikers such as Jimmy Greaves. :thumb:

• Like 1

I pretty much have zero expectations because his record for the past 4-5 years has been extremely poor. As I've said before, he's very similar to Joselu who had stints at Newcastle and Stoke. At his 'best' Joselu could come off the bench and be a bit of a nuisance. Baston like Joselu is tall, can do the target man stuff and is pretty good in the air, especially in the opposition box attacking crosses. I don't think Baston's hold up play is better than Davis, but I do think he'll be that bit more of a goal threat.

Ultimately he's here for backup, my preference would have been a forward to come in to really be fighting to start, however January is a rotten time to buy, we really did fail in the summer in this respect. I would not at all be surprised if Baston is released in the summer but if he can defy what are a pretty low set of expectations then that would be fantastic.  

I don’t understand those that are immediately writing him off/want him to fail/don’t want him to play...

He’s been brought in to provide cover and competition in the CF department (where we are really light) on a free transfer... he has a lot of motivating factors to work hard and try to succeed, such as an initial short term contract (if he proves himself he can earn a new/extended one) and massive opportunity at such a prestigious club in the Premier League. He has every reason to bust a gut to get into the side and perform to the best of his ability.

He’s a good age (27) and should be decent technically. He should be fit and ready to go and able to integrate quite quickly. Reina, Jota and probably Luiz should help him settle too.

Why wouldn’t anyone want him to do well???

Are people seriously going to be annoyed and disappointed if it “clicks” and he actually does well, earning a place in the side and scoring goals? Maybe he actually has a decent, successful time here? What if he grabs an important goal/winner? (Wembley??!)

If he doesn’t do well we haven’t really lost anything. He’s not another Hogan or McCormack!!!! No massive and wasted outlay here guys...

It’s a low cost, low risk signing and everyone is well aware that FFP is such a restriction so it was always unlikely that we were going to get a major signing in (although many of us, including me, held hope simply because we do not know the full situation or workings at the club).

On Davis, he has showed some promise but is so injury prone and simply hasn’t yet proved that he can score goals (pretty essential for a CF). There’s every chance that if Bastón does well in training that he will be competing directly with Samatta (who we really need to perform, a lot of pressure on him really but maybe that load has been lightened or shared. He is the main man now).

I would have been disappointed if we failed to sign anyone so why not just try and be optimistic about this transfer and player?

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, John said:

I don't accept that, although I can see where you are coming from. I would be more than happy to have signed Lineker, if he were playing now. He was some player and scored goals for fun at the highest level. I'm sure he would adapt to football now, as would the likes of other past strikers such as Jimmy Greaves. :thumb:

You are right john.....great players adapt to the circumstances around them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Would we have turned Pukki down 2 years ago, based on his stats?

He scored 46 goals in 103 games for Brondby....nearly a goal every 2 games.

now that was worth a punt.

21 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I pretty much have zero expectations because his record for the past 4-5 years has been extremely poor. As I've said before, he's very similar to Joselu who had stints at Newcastle and Stoke. At his 'best' Joselu could come off the bench and be a bit of a nuisance. Baston like Joselu is tall, can do the target man stuff and is pretty good in the air, especially in the opposition box attacking crosses. I don't think Baston's hold up play is better than Davis, but I do think he'll be that bit more of a goal threat.

Ultimately he's here for backup, my preference would have been a forward to come in to really be fighting to start, however January is a rotten time to buy, we really did fail in the summer in this respect. I would not at all be surprised if Baston is released in the summer but if he can defy what are a pretty low set of expectations then that would be fantastic.  

As you say with expectations low on this player.....we can only be pleasantly surprised.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

As you say with expectations low on this player.....we can only be pleasantly surprised.

Well not exactly. Either he meets the expectations but at least we can get rid of him easily and the entire thing wouldn't have cost us much or we can be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No chance he should play over Davis. I'd be very disappointed if that was the case. 

Why?  

No idea about this bloke apart from video highlights and stats so I don’t have an opinion myself.  Wolves fans laughed at us getting Hause, Bournemouth fans weren’t bothered about Mings....so I’d like to see what this guy has.  We know what Davis has.  If Baston is rubbish then he’s rubbish but then we’ll know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Why?  

No idea about this bloke apart from video highlights and stats so I don’t have an opinion myself.  Wolves fans laughed at us getting Hause, Bournemouth fans weren’t bothered about Mings....so I’d like to see what this guy has.  We know what Davis has.  If Baston is rubbish then he’s rubbish but then we’ll know.

Davis has looked good against decent English opposition. Lately now against Leicester. Borja has not based on his career in the PL so far. So it's Davis first until he proves otherwise. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â