Borja Bastón

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

This is as good as it gets for the lad

God loves a trier and all that, if we've signed a bloke who wants to run himself in to the ground and bang his head against other people like some **** wierdo happy cos he made the bench then so be it

Hopefully he just brings something even if it's not blatantly obvious 

This lad came through the ranks at Atletico Madrid, was a big goalscorer for Spain at youth level and has had decent seasons in La Liga and a £16m move. I’m not saying he’s going to pull up trees but I bet he wasn’t expecting having to play on a rainy February night in B6 when he was shining alongside Spain’s brightest youth... all this to say “this is as good as it gets for the lad” actually makes me feel sorry for him! He must have dreamed of such heights 5 or 6 years ago.

Fingers crossed things click into place for him.

• Like 1

This signing looks very underwhelming, but and I say but if Smith can get his scoring then damn I'll bow before him. Borja has only six goals to his name in 20 appearances  so it's far to early to tell how he's going to turn out, yes it was all done in the lower league. Yeah question is can he make the jump up and still score, hope we've done our homework.

Thing is he's  cheap, Swansea paid 15.5 mill for him and we get for free, low risk in a sense, if he don't work out we've risked a spot  on a player who couldn't do the job when we should've brought in someone capable of doing the job that will be what's annoying here with this signing, that we havnt learned from past mistakes.

Does look ok though:

It’s Bastón btw - stress on the second syllable.

The “J” in Borja sounds like a “H”.

DS and Jack will have to call him Boz Baz.

If our new signing from Barcelona works out, we could field a strike partnership of Loz Baz and Boz Baz. What a time to be alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Former Swansea City striker Borja Baston says he is better suited to LaLiga as the quality is higher than in the Premier League.

The 25-year-old moved to the Liberty Stadium last August for a club-record fee of £15.5million but struggled badly in 2016-17, scoring just once in 20 appearances in all competitions.

He returned to Spain on a season-long loan deal with Malaga in July but has not yet managed to find the net during a tough start to the campaign for the Andalusian side.

However, Borja insists he is happy to be back in a league where there is not such a commitment to direct styles of play.

"It's very different football," he told Marca. "It's all more intense there, back and forth, and the game is based on the long ball.

"The physical factor is much more important than it is in Spain, where all teams know how to play the ball from the back. 

"In LaLiga, there is more quality. It's easier for me to play here.

"I made a decision I thought was the right one at the time. Obviously, it didn't go as I'd hoped, I didn't have enough opportunities. 

"But I don't regret it because you have to be consistent with the decisions you make in life."

https://www.beinsports.com/id-en/football/news/borja-baston-laliga-has-more-quality-than-t-6/679063

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Sounds like what you'd expect to hear from a Spanish forward - "please do not hoof the ball at me all the bastard time". He sounds more like Samagoal than Davis or Wesley. 

It's an interesting deadline day signing, even if it's not one to blow you away.

• Like 3

It'll be interesting to see how he does with a different type & quality of player around him than he maybe had at Swansea with all due respect to them. Not sure how Swansea play now or when he was starting for them but maybe the likes of Grealish can play him in better? I think i'll find it quite a fascinating signing actually once the disappointment of not signing someone more in demand has evaporated. Sometimes a player just doesn't click at a club as we all know too well, so maybe just maybe it'll all click into place. It appears Dean & co are signing specific player types for the system(s) he wants to play so i'll trust their judgement on this one.

• Like 1

Eh, for a free Im happy with it. He's really just an extra body as cover for striker.

Also, he minutes per goal with Swansea this season isn't too bad. 211 minutes per goal is a decent strike rate actually. If he hits a 250-300 minute per goal strike rate for us he'd already be better than Wesley in terms of goalscoring.

54 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It'll be interesting to see how he does with a different type & quality of player around him than he maybe had at Swansea with all due respect to them. Not sure how Swansea play now or when he was starting for them but maybe the likes of Grealish can play him in better? I think i'll find it quite a fascinating signing actually once the disappointment of not signing someone more in demand has evaporated. Sometimes a player just doesn't click at a club as we all know too well, so maybe just maybe it'll all click into place. It appears Dean & co are signing specific player types for the system(s) he wants to play so i'll trust their judgement on this one.

His strength is in finishing, intelligent runs and positioning, based on the articles and analysis I've read on him, accompanied by the highlights. Last I checked we put in the 2nd most crosses of any team in the league, and considering the vast majority of Baston's shots and goals come from inside the penalty area, we'll see how he goes, that's in the event he plays ahead of What'Samatta.

From a Swansea fan forum regarding him moving to us last night:

A poor bit of business, had high hopes when the transfer initially went through, but it hasn’t worked out. He’s a better player than people give him credit for, but he’s played in some poor teams where chances have been few and far between. Most of the clubs strikers have struggled, Abraham, Gomis, Borja to name a few.  

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

Â