Generic Virus Thread

villakram

27 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

A massive argument/debate happened this afternoon. Science advisors want to shut schools OR universities. The government doesn't want to. I have no idea what the outcome was. The smart money is on schools staying open but actually running at a much lower capacity due to the number of children and teachers who will be self isolating.  

IMO universities should be operating on an "as remote as possible" basis. If you don't need access to labs or other equipment, sorry, it's not ideal, but stay the **** at home and use video conferencing. 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

IMO universities should be operating on an "as remote as possible" basis. If you don't need access to labs or other equipment, sorry, it's not ideal, but stay the **** at home and use video conferencing. 

It's vice-chancellors that you need to convince on that one.

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Press Conference Bingo -

Thank the British Public

Protect our NHS

Hard working doctors and nurses. 

Unprecedented 

Exponentially 

Bounce back stronger

Follow the science

Protect jobs

Difficult decisions

We will beat this together

You missed "Save Christmas!" :)

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

No, the way you do it, is you tell the media there will be an address at ‘x’ time.

You stick to that time.

You give no tips, hints or insider crumbs until that time.

That’s the competent way to operate.

The thing that's curious to me is that I thought parliament has to vote on any new increase in lockdown type stuff. SO how can they announce what they're gonna do when there's been no vote on what they want to do?

There's a risk that they'll come up with some new rules, then lose a vote on it, and then (though it's hard to imagine) an even greater clusterpork.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

The thing that's curious to me is that I thought parliament has to vote on any new increase in lockdown type stuff. SO how can they announce what they're gonna do when there's been no vote on what they want to do?

There's a risk that they'll come up with some new rules, then lose a vote on it, and then (though it's hard to imagine) an even greater clusterpork.

The cynic in me suggests that they're announcing it in advance to pressure parliament in to going along with it.

• Like 1

I hate everything about these tweets:

From the slavish tone of 'getting Johnson's excuses in early', to the ludicrous idea that the government needs to rush a press conference to accommodate a **** dancing competition, to Nick Robinson's bald pate.

Everything that's terrible about this country.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

The cynic in me suggests that they're announcing it in advance to pressure parliament in to going along with it.

I guess parliament will, as Labour was already calling for it (or similar, given we dunno what they're gonna say) was it 2 weeks ago? But it's just wrong to do it this way.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I hate everything about these tweets:

From the slavish tone of 'getting Johnson's excuses in early', to the ludicrous idea that the government needs to rush a press conference to accommodate a **** dancing competition, to Nick Robinson's bald pate.

Everything that's terrible about this country.

First one is good. Second one I agree is indicative of all that is wrong.

It's very much got the vibe of Dominic turning up to his unauthorised nationally-broadcasted non-apology half an hour late doesn't it?

Everything these **** do just highlights the contempt that they have for the public.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Press Conference Bingo -

Thank the British Public

Protect our NHS

Hard working doctors and nurses. 

Unprecedented 

Exponentially 

Bounce back stronger

Follow the science

Protect jobs

Difficult decisions

We will beat this together

Nobody wanted to do this, least of all me

His self-perception as some kind of libertatian radical is one of the weirdest things in politics IMO. He must believe it - otherwise why does he keep saying 'least of all me' all the time - but there's really not very much evidence of it from his actual political career.

A deeply weird man.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

It sounds like there’s a huge debate about keeping schools open or not, right **** after the half term holiday when they were closed for 1-2 weeks anyway. No words.

It's hard to believe that someone would have got away with this if their plan was to deliberately sabotage the nation.

4 more **** years.

I get that these new lock down measures will have to go through parliament, I think on Tuesday so they can come in on Thursday, but why announce your plans on Saturday giving the public 5 days notice and allow the opportunity of one last piss up/mass mixing with others? why not just go to parliament on Tuesday, announce the measure there, vote on them and introduce them the next day? I guess I am describing what a competent government would do aren't I so wishful thinking.

• Like 2

Â