Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Hope nobody had an imminent trip to Spain planned...

Canaries

Going in October, rearranged from a holiday we cancelled last minute in march 

Would be typical 

So thousands of people who left for their holiday on 1 set of rules will now not be able to work for 2 weeks when they get back.

So that’s **** up the economy and pushing people to financial ruin in 1 step.

FB3-C10-DE-B3-DF-4-A68-88-DD-810-E39-E45

have to wonder why other countries would be happy to let us in:

Yesterday’s numbers:

Germany 0
France 0
Italy 5
Spain 0
Poland 9
Romania 15
Holland 0
Belgium 5
Greece 0
Czech Rep 0
Portugal 4
Sweden0
Hungary 0
Austria 1

Lithuania 0

Denmark 0

Finland 0
Slovakia 0
Ireland 0
Croatia 5
Lithuania 0
Scotland 0
N Ireland 0
Wales 0
England 61

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Holiday destinations want your cash. 

Yeah, shows just how much Spanish tourism in particular needs British money. I’m sure our government will be leveraging that in the Brexit talks...

Five day cumulative covid death toll:

Northern Ireland = 0

Scotland = 0

Wales = 1

England = 110 + 78 + 53 + 123 + 61 = 425

Now I know there are a million variables to consider on ethnic mix, population density, sheer population numbers etc etc.

But you’d hope there’d be some slight desire from Westminster to consider what they’ve done differently to Belfast, Edinburgh and Cardiff. What they might do differently should the second spike look like happening.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Five day cumulative covid death toll:

Northern Ireland = 0

Scotland = 0

Wales = 1

England = 110 + 78 + 53 + 123 + 61 = 425

Now I know there are a million variables to consider on ethnic mix, population density, sheer population numbers etc etc.

But you’d hope there’d be some slight desire from Westminster to consider what they’ve done differently to Belfast, Edinburgh and Cardiff. What they might do differently should the second spike look like happening.  

What have those countries done differently to justify such a better situation?

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

What have those countries done differently to justify such a better situation?

Not too sure on N.I. But I think it’s been a stricter and longer travel ban has been one stand out. Slower easing of lockdown too.

It’s literally been this week (Monday) that the fairground and beach has been open here with the parking restrictions lifted. But even then, the take up of opening has been less. I’ve been to the beach today, 50% of the coffee shops are still closed, but there were almost no queues at the open ones and I counted less than 20 people on the sand, on a Sunday in July. We’ve also had the 5 mile max travel distance for a long time, which I don’t think England ever had? Could be wrong on that one. The police have random stopped cars and turned them around and sent them home if they’ve been 5 miles from home with no good reason. Perhaps the most interesting one was Ceredigion that straightaway set up its own local track n trace system rather than wait for any national role out of a world beating app. You then look at their figures for cases per 100,000 and they are lower by a massive margin, generally it’s something like 400 or 500 per 100,000 of population. I think Ceredigion managed 90 per 100,000..

But I’m sure geographical spread and population density will be massive factors. The ‘worst’ area of Wales has been the North East and the M4 corridor. You could also argue those are the areas with most interaction with England.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The police have random stopped cars and turned them around and sent them home if they’ve been 5 miles from home with no good reason.

I think this is a big one, opening up national travel for “exercise” across England weeks ago was completely unnecessary. The jacked up figures across England could well to a large degree a result of the stupidly busy beaches. There was no need to allow that in the middle of a pandemic.

The dead of the pandemic in Spain: 44,868

EL PAÍS obtains a number of deaths due to covid or suspected covid from the registers of the autonomous communities and its contrast with the studies of three public bodies

The disease known as covid-19 , caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus first detected in Wuhan (China) in November 2019, has caused the death of at least 44,868 people in Spain since last February 13, date of the first known death for this reason. EL PAÍS has added the people who died "due to covid or suspected covid", according to the records of the 17 autonomous communities, to reach the figure of 44,868 deaths, making Spain the second European country with the most victims only behind the UK. There are 16,436 more deaths than those collected by the Ministry of Health in its official statistics where only, for the moment, deceased who were tested for the coronavirus and tested positive.

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-07-25/las-44868-muertes-de-la-pandemia-en-espana.html

5 hours ago, Genie said:

So thousands of people who left for their holiday on 1 set of rules will now not be able to work for 2 weeks when they get back.

So that’s **** up the economy and pushing people to financial ruin in 1 step.

Well firstly, if they didn't realise that risk when they embarked on their foreign trip, more fool them.

Secondly, most people and businesses are used to working from home now

You can't seriously be suggesting that the government should delay this decision for two weeks to allow those on holiday under a different sets of rules to come back as normal?

Theres much you can rightly criticise the government for over their handling of the pandemic. But this appears to be criticism of them for doing the correct thing (for once)

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Well firstly, if they didn't realise that risk when they embarked on their foreign trip, more fool them.

Secondly, most people and businesses are used to working from home now

You can't seriously be suggesting that the government should delay this decision for two weeks to allow those on holiday under a different sets of rules to come back as normal?

Theres much you can rightly criticise the government for over their handling of the pandemic. But this appears to be criticism of them for doing the correct thing (for once)

Spain is far safer than here. The problem is the government have shafted Brits on holiday and the travel industry right in the middle of holiday season. They could have made it effective of 7 days time to allow a lot of the people who were away get back, and also those going imminently to change their plans if needed.

People in factories, shops, warehouses, drivers and the other thousands of jobs can’t just work from home. 2 weeks without pay will be crippling for many, and I bet there is no government support following this panicked decision.

Edited by Genie

21 hours ago, Genie said:

I think this is a big one, opening up national travel for “exercise” across England weeks ago was completely unnecessary. The jacked up figures across England could well to a large degree a result of the stupidly busy beaches. There was no need to allow that in the middle of a pandemic.

Once again, not beaches. This is just misinformation.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

What was not beaches? 

There are, as far as I can tell, no documented instances of superspreading events happening at beaches.

It is annoying when people pathologise comparatively safe and healthy activities that are also good for people's mental health, both because it benefits no-one, and also because it obscures where the virus has actually been spreading in recent weeks (factories and care homes mostly) and lets bad employers (who actually have some control here) off the hook.

• Like 1

Hands up everybody who went back through passport control at 23.30 after returning from Spain on Saturday...

✋

It worries me a little that Friday in English public places felt quite similar to Saturday in Spanish public places in terms of how people mill around, how well they're masked up and so on. Same sort of proportion poking their hooters out over the top of their coverings. Same social distancing lip service and complacency. It all helps but if they're in the brown stuff then the similarities are not reassuring.

Â