Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Sky news currently doing a big report on Italy right from the beginning of when coronavirus really took hold and they had to go into lock down. Portraying the real devastation of what has happened over there,

Contrast that to how they report on what has happened over here you'd think that we had got off lightly and had done a good job in containing the virus. Not the reality that even with the benefit of foresight of seeing what was happening in Italy that we have had the highest death toll in Europe and are heading for the highest death rate in the world. That to create capacity in the NHS have had to cancel operations and stop screening with the end result of that being that thousands more will die whilst not as a direct result of coronavirus as a direct consequence. That as others have said we have allowed our care homes to become death camps.

Whilst there has been some good, honest reporting am I asking for too much to expect mainstream media to report on the reality over here rather than over focusing on the happy clappy propaganda and distractions the government put out. To report what is happening here the way they report what is happening elsewhere. 

I agree wholeheartedly with the point you make and the sentiment, but, too much honest reporting right now could end up in rioting and that would make a bad situation even worse. 

Having said that, considering the state of things, vis-a-vis the current media setup holding power to account, I won't be holding my breath any time soon.

What would the daily mail say is a question genuinely posed in all sorts of governmental and quasi governmental departments up and down the land. 

It's a mess I cant see a way out of without returning to a time where questions put to ministers aren't vetted first and journalism exists somehow without being beholden to the almighty dollar/pound.

I have no answers, just my 2p.

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

1) very mixed within our school. We're a primary school, so we aren't doing live lessons. Most children are completing the work set for them and parents are very mixed. Some think it's fine and others think its too much. 

2) I 100% agree that it is affecting children differently. Maybe I'm focusing on primary school kids more. I just can't imagine an 8 Yr olds future income will be heavily hit as an adult because they missed a term of school. It's not perfect by any means but if it stops people from dying then it has to be priority. 

3) like I said, if the government removed SATS, league tables and eased back Ofsted for the next couple of years, then schools would have the ability to adapt their curriculums to suit the needs of their children, identifying where huge gaps are and filling them. Obviously this is easier in primary schools than say Yr 11 kids, who haven't got the same amount of time to catch up. 

At the end of the day, we can adapt our education system, if we are that worried. The focus on exams could be removed for 12 months. But if the pressure isn't removed from schools then it will only make things worse. 

On point one, I suppose a lot depends on whether both parents (if they have them) are working from home full time or not. I have t got children, but from bulking to my team, the ones whose partner isn’t working have been able to do more school work, whereas the ones where both parents are working full time find it hard. 

On the interesting points, I’d agree, I can’t see how missing a term would have that much a detriment to long term development. I agree that “results” need to be relaxed for a few years to establish proper teaching and get students the missing gaps. In fact I think that should be a change irrelevant of covid, but I guess that’s for another topic 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Stop crying about schools, we're breeding a generation of fruit pickers

Be about the only jobs left going if it carries on like this much longer.

I’m ready for things to begin returning to normality in the next 2-3 weeks. Anything much beyond that and without some form of insanely radical thinking around how to support people, businesses and services and  I’m really starting to worry for us all.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Be about the only jobs left going if it carries on like this much longer.

I’m ready for things to begin returning to normality in the next 2-3 weeks. Anything much beyond that and without some form of insanely radical thinking around how to support people, businesses and services and  I’m really starting to worry for us all.

We'll become a nation of entrepreneurs, the world is our lobster

The time will soon come when they have to try lifting lock-down measures. I'd support any teacher who didn't want to return at the moment, but surely it has to be schools first, of anything, to reopen. I've also seen those reports on kids not being capable of spreading it, and the reports that say kids have just the same amount of virus as any other group - which just goes to show how dumb 'guided by the science' ever was. But they have to try it I think, and be able to react if it goes tits up. Or just replace teachers with strippers. 

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

WAsn't there some evidence the other day that children (juniors / infants) were by and large asymptotic and actually much less infectious too or did I imagne that?

The Swiss health chief ruled kids could hug their grandparents. Mutterings that other countries agree, but then also counter reports that kids are as virally loaded as any other age group. There's only one way to find out!

I won’t use the f word, but during another pandemic just over 100 years ago, it was decided that keeping the kids in school was the lesser of two evils.

Kids in school gave them structure to their day and continued their education. It meant they weren’t being abused by bad parents, it gave the parents an opportunity to carry on with their day jobs. A huge chunk of the economy kept going to service the schools.

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The Swiss health chief ruled kids could hug their grandparents. Mutterings that other countries agree, but then also counter reports that kids are as virally loaded as any other age group. There's only one way to find out!

It wasn't something I paid too much attention to thanks

53 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Kids in school gave them structure to their day and continued their education. It meant they weren’t being abused by bad parents, it gave the parents an opportunity to carry on with their day jobs.

EW-MLXXUcAEdejQ?format=jpg&name=small
Edited by Jareth
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Some post-pandemic progress in China: the Communist Party has got  its enslaved Muslim population back to work! 

The Financial Times has the UK death rate at well over 40k and the worst in Europe. Good to learn about what China are doing though. 

Just now, Jareth said:

The Financial Times has the UK death rate at well over 40k and the worst in Europe. Good to learn about what China are doing though. 

“Generic”.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Personally I'm thrilled to learn what Boris' 9th child is called. 

Fine.

The UK government isn’t doing very well. Lots of people have died. If they’d acted sooner it’s likely fewer people would have died. Boris is a bad man. No one has posted this information before so it shouldn’t resemble 60% of other posts in this thread, with slight alterations in grammar.

Permission to post about something now, Sir? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Fine.

The UK government isn’t doing very well. Lots of people have died. If they’d acted sooner it’s likely fewer people would have died. Boris is a bad man. No one has posted this information before so it shouldn’t resemble 60% of other posts in this thread, with slight alterations in grammar.

Permission to post about something now, Sir? 

basketball no GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Some post-pandemic progress in China: the Communist Party has got  its enslaved Muslim population back to work! 

It's quite possible the world won't change very much after all of this. :(

Â