Generic Virus Thread

villakram

More shops opening up on the retail parks equals more people visiting them! The queues from those open are already extending down past multiple closed stores. If they opened those in between, the queues would merge and you’d simply have too many people there to make distancing possible. Plus it gives out the wrong message. If H&M, Mountain Warehouse, Sports Direct etc... are all open, people will start dismissing the ‘essential shopping’ advice and behave like everything’s back to normal. There’s plenty that are doing that anyway, let’s not make it worse. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Surely spreading those already there out between 12 shops makes more sense than 8 shops

If a retail park currently has a DIY store and a pet store open on it and then the Next, Mcdonalds and sports shop open up do you think the same people using the diy and pet store are the same people who will go into the other shops? Or do you think there may be thousands of people who had zero reason/interest to visit those stores who may suddenly rock up once the clothes shops and fast food restaurants have re-opened.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Ireland, Italy and New York not opening schools till September. Yet we seem to be pushing for June. 

Money more important than lives in this **** country it seems. 

How does opening the schools relate to money? Probably cheaper to keep them closed.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

How does opening the schools relate to money? Probably cheaper to keep them closed.

Because it gets more people back out of the house and to work. 

Why else would we push to open them so much earlier than other counties if there are no financial benefits? 

It certainly isn't about education. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Because the parents can go back to work.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

More shops opening up on the retail parks equals more people visiting them! The queues from those open are already extending down past multiple closed stores. If they opened those in between, the queues would merge and you’d simply have too many people there to make distancing possible. Plus it gives out the wrong message. If H&M, Mountain Warehouse, Sports Direct etc... are all open, people will start dismissing the ‘essential shopping’ advice and behave like everything’s back to normal. There’s plenty that are doing that anyway, let’s not make it worse. 

They might be able to stagger the opening times so they aren't all open at the same time.  Obviously you are relying on people checking before they leave home which might be a problem.

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It certainly isn't about education. 

This is unfair. Nobody has more reason to be concerned about our nation's children than Boris Johnson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

They might be able to stagger the opening times so they aren't all open at the same time.  Obviously you are relying on people checking before they leave home which might be a problem.

That could help somewhat, but you’ve hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. Relying on people to do the right thing rarely works. 

23 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If a retail park currently has a DIY store and a pet store open on it and then the Next, Mcdonalds and sports shop open up do you think the same people using the diy and pet store are the same people who will go into the other shops? Or do you think there may be thousands of people who had zero reason/interest to visit those stores who may suddenly rock up once the clothes shops and fast food restaurants have re-opened.

People have been missing their Saturday trips out to clog up Britain’s retail parks. As soon as it’s deemed ok to do so, they’ll be out in force for a wander around.

• Like 2

A certain car dealership due to open all its dealers (around 160) with reduced staff from 11/05. That proves more than enough it's down to the money. Gotta be a bit early surely. 70% of the staff furloughed anyway.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

A certain car dealership due to open all its dealers (around 160) with reduced staff from 11/05.

Unless car showrooms are removed from the schedule in the Public Health regulations then I can't see them being open to the public - otherwise, one would imagine they'd be clearly breaking the law.

They may have people going in to work and trying to 'sell' over the 'phone and to reopen the service desk (which I think could have been open all the time?) which is what I've heard a local car dealership suggesting they're going to do.

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Unless car showrooms are removed from the schedule in the Public Health regulations then I can't see them being open to the public - otherwise, one would imagine they'd be clearly breaking the law.

They may have people going in to work and trying to 'sell' over the 'phone and to reopen the service desk (which I think could have been open all the time?) which is what I've heard a local car dealership suggesting they're going to do.

Maybe it'll change next week. I work from home for this company and there plan is to open from that date, servicing cars only with reduced staff as part of the process of opening fully.

I assume workplaces are putting plans in place to open on the 11th on the assumption that the lockdown ends next week. 

it makes sense to have the plans in place so if it’s lifted they can get back to work quickly  

If it doesn’t get lifted then they’ll have to change them. 

I assume all these businesses “planning to open on the 11th” are doing so for that reason. It doesn’t necessarily mean they WILL open

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Maybe it'll change next week. I work from home for this company and there plan is to open from that date, servicing cars only with reduced staff as part of the process of opening fully.

The point is that they can open only those sections of the business that are exempt from the closures and which were always able to be open, surely?

Yes, the regulations may change (though I'd be amazed if car showrooms were going to be removed from the schedule without also lifting restrictions on movement) but if they don't then it is not up to businesses to decide to ignore them.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I assume workplaces are putting plans in place to open on the 11th on the assumption that the lockdown ends next week. 

it makes sense to have the plans in place so if it’s lifted they can get back to work quickly  

If it doesn’t get lifted then they’ll have to change them. 

I assume all these businesses “planning to open on the 11th” are doing so for that reason. It doesn’t necessarily mean they WILL open

There is that.

I also think that there's probably quite a bit of businesses which weren't compelled to shut up shop deciding to try and reopen as much as they can.

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

There is that.

I also think that there's probably quite a bit of businesses which weren't compelled to shut up shop deciding to try and reopen as much as they can.

Yeah I’m sure that’s happening too.

• Like 1

Â