Generic Virus Thread

villakram

No idea. I assume the most basic systematic errors will be ticked off soon enough.

They say the platelet count is very rare for the condition they have though and they all got the same condition. Which confuses the docs I think.

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

To put it into perspective I've woken up feeling much much worse after a night on the pop.  It's never put me off going on the piss. 

Haha same here. I still remember one particularly bad night on the Jäger bombs where I couldn’t eat a thing until the following evening as it turned my stomach.

Maybe I am not getting the right search terms, but I can only find one norwegian death and no mention of their job. @KenjiOgiwaracan you direct me to where you are getting this info or a search term that might give me further reading. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Maybe I am not getting the right search terms, but I can only find one norwegian death and no mention of their job. @KenjiOgiwaracan you direct me to where you are getting this info or a search term that might give me further reading. 

Got it. Just reading now. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus/wrapup-2-who-urges-world-not-to-halt-vaccinations-as-astrazeneca-shot-divides-europe-idUSL1N2LD0O2

WRAPUP 2-WHO urges world not to halt vaccinations as AstraZeneca shot divides Europe

GENEVA/COPENHAGEN, March 15 (Reuters) - The World Health Organization appealed to countries on Monday not to pause vaccination campaigns after two more European nations and one in Asia joined a handful which have suspended use of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine over safety fears.

The WHO said its advisory panel was reviewing reports related to the shot and would release its findings as soon as possible. But it said it was unlikely to change its recommendations, issued last month, for widespread use, including in countries where the South African variant of the virus may reduce its efficacy.

“As of today, there is no evidence that the incidents are caused by the vaccine and it is important that vaccination campaigns continue so that we can save lives and stem severe disease from the virus,” WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier said.

The WHO had already said there was no indication the events were caused by the vaccination, a view also expressed by the European Medicines Agency (EMA), which said the number of reported blood clots was no higher than seen in the general population.

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

And only in Norway, apparently. 

Yes, I have no doubt they will find something else at play here but once again the AZ vaccine, which at it's price point is probably the single most important one in play has it's name trashed in the press and suspicion raised and people will refuse to take it for no good reason. 

It's no evidence it's not caused by the vaccine either, so it's a bit of a weird argument. But WHO have to say that.

It's obvious they have to shut it down now and figure out where the problem lies.

And from what I read the Danish doctors confirmed the same weird blood values in their dead patient, so not just Norway. They also speculated the same regarding the woman in Austria, but that sounded really vague.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's no evidence it's not caused by the vaccine either, so it's a bit of a weird argument. But WHO have to say that.

It's obvious they have to shut it down now and figure out where the problem lies.

And from what I read the Danish doctors confirmed the same weird blood values in their dead patient, so not just Norway. They also speculated the same regarding the woman in Austria, but that sounded really vague.

To be honest, I don't think that's 'obvious' at all. There's an extremely strong argument for continuing, which is that while this vaccine may or may not be linked to this small number of health problems, covid is very definitely linked to extremely serious health problems, and being slower to vaccinate people will very definitely lead to more people getting covid and dying.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, I don't think that's 'obvious' at all. There's an extremely strong argument for continuing, which is that while this vaccine may or may not be linked to this small number of health problems, covid is very definitely linked to extremely serious health problems, and being slower to vaccinate people will very definitely lead to more people getting covid and dying.

I disagree. They can't keep vaccinating people when they don't know how it connects. It's obviously a consequence ethics dilemma. If people weren't aware they would probably consider it, but not now.

Secondly it will be a case where a lot of 'healthy' people will refuse to take it.

What they have said though, which is interesting, is that they claim what seperates us from you guys for instance is that we've vaccinated younger groups. So they opened up it's potentially safe for elder people. The reasoning being young people generally having more adverse vaccine reactions.

I really don't know right now what they are thinking, but I think keeping on vaccinating now  without even knowing the batch is different than it should be... that's nuts. They need to figure out what  is going on.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I disagree. They can't keep vaccinating people when they don't know how it connects. It's obviously a consequence ethics dilemma. If people weren't aware they would probably consider it, but not now.

Secondly it will be a case where a lot of 'healthy' people will refuse to take it.

What they have said though, which is interesting, is that they claim what seperates us from you guys for instance is that we've vaccinated younger groups. So they opened up it's potentially safe for elder people. The reasoning being young people generally having more adverse vaccine reactions.

I really don't know right now what they are thinking, but I think keeping on vaccinating now  without even knowing the batch is different than it should be... that's nuts. They need to figure out what  is going on.

The UK is currently running extensive vaccine trials in the under 16's.  No problems reported.

I saw that the woman who died in Norway had received the vaccine a week before.  That's a fairly tenuous link to the vaccine.   

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

They know exactly how it works. It's a standard chimp derived adenovirus vector containing inactivated nCov-19 virus vaccine. It's very well proven.

And this exact one now has field data from over 10 million subjects with no adverse findings. Whatever's happening in Norway, it's not happening in the UK.

• Like 2

Side issue and it’s probably a sort of confirmation bias on my part, but it really feels like when it’s good news it’s the “Oxford vaccine” and when the story is negative it’s the “AstraZeneca vaccine”.

13 minutes ago, coda said:

Germany has pulled the AZ vaccine. 👀

Where are you seeing this reported? Quick Google and I can't find any links to it.

I only ask as I wondered if Germany are seeing a link in deaths/blood clots to the vaccine.

3 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Where are you seeing this reported? Quick Google and I can't find any links to it.

I only ask as I wondered if Germany are seeing a link in deaths/blood clots to the vaccine.

The Beeb news channel.

• Like 1

Â