Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Yeah you get to a point where it wouldn't be practical but as long as there are literally millions of people virtually queuing for a vaccine, I don't think it's right to close the ride at 6pm.

Nobody suggested 6pm did they?

Covid test sites close at 8pm by me, that seems to work fine. I’d suggest 10pm would be a good time to close.

Just now, Genie said:

There’s theory, and reality. You’re not going to run a vaccination clinic at full capacity between mid-night and 4am.

People will decline the appointments for a number of reasons, or accept them and not turn up. 

I think you're underestimating the clamour for the vaccine. Millions are desperate for it. The reality is you just aren't going to have a problem filling the slots or having people not turn up.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

There’s theory, and reality. You’re not going to run a vaccination clinic at full capacity between mid-night and 4am.

People will decline the appointments for a number of reasons, or accept them and not turn up. 

I’m not sure they would. If someone told me to turn up at 3 o clock tomorrow morning I’d be there and I’d imagine the vast majority of people would say the same thing.

The supply of the vaccine should be the only limiting factor in this. If the vaccine is available for people to be vaccinated 24 hours a day then we should be able to put in place a system whereby this is possible. 

• Like 4

Just now, darrenm said:

I think you're underestimating the clamour for the vaccine. Millions are desperate for it. The reality is you just aren't going to have a problem filling the slots or having people not turn up.

But you’ll have a better chance if you run the same amount of slots in 24 hours across 2 sites.

Youll vaccinate more people by running the 8 hour 10pm to 6am shift somewhere else during the day. 
Im sure the nurse(s) and the recipients would prefer it too.

38,598 new cases today and 671 dead.  

Last Sunday 54,940 new cases and 563 dead. 

That's a big reduction in new cases, hopefully that translates to a lowering death rate soon. 

298,087 new vaccines which is lower but I guess they have less centres open on a Sunday maybe. 

6 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I’m not sure they would. If someone told me to turn up at 3 o clock tomorrow morning I’d be there and I’d imagine the vast majority of people would say the same thing.

The supply of the vaccine should be the only limiting factor in this. If the vaccine is available for people to be vaccinated 24 hours a day then we should be able to put in place a system whereby this is possible. 

If the NHS sent out 1000 appointments between 2 and 4am or 2 and 4pm you think they’d be equally successful? 

No chance.

Dont forget there are people declining the Pfizer vaccine because they want to wait for the “British” one. Not everyone shares the same level of urgency.

Edited by Genie

7 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Who is the person administering that vaccine, and why is it better for them to be doing it at 2am rather than at 2pm?

The other limiting factor is the people doing this are people, who cannot work 24 hours a day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I think you're underestimating the clamour for the vaccine.

Have you considered you're overestimating the clamour too?

14 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

If someone told me to turn up at 3 o clock tomorrow morning I’d be there and I’d imagine the vast majority of people would say the same thing.

My first reaction would be can I rearrange for a more convenient time slot

Just as a for example, my "local" Super Vaccino Dome is the St Helens Rugby League Stadium. It's half an hours drive away at the best of times, so that leads on to ruling out anyone that can't drive in the middle of the night. But I can drive... I'd still have to get up at 2am, get vaccinated and get home at probably 4pm then have to be in work at 8 or 9pm. This just isn't going to work.

• Like 3

Fellas, you still have to book the time and place yourself.  No one is going to be randomly offered a 3am time slot. 

But it may be suitable for people working odd hours. They need to get done some time and 3.00pm might be as antisocial to them as 3.00am might be to you. 

If they want to ensure everyone is vaccinated quickly they need to be able to offer slots that are convenient to all. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd still have to get up at 2am, get vaccinated and get home at probably 4pm then have to be in work at 8 or 9pm. This just isn't going to work.

Zackly. Though you might need to get another "telling the time from the hands on the clock lesson" 😛

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody suggested 6pm did they?

Covid test sites close at 8pm by me, that seems to work fine. I’d suggest 10pm would be a good time to close.

I don’t honestly think testing sites are comparable to vaccination centres.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I don’t honestly think testing sites are comparable to vaccination centres.

Why not?

Everyone who needs a Covid test can get one quickly and before 8pm because there are plenty of sites and capacity during 8-8.

That strategy can be applied directly to vaccination sites.

If for the Covid testing they had less sites, but opened them 24 hours they would test less people. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Fellas, you still have to book the time and place yourself.

I'm not sure that's right, quite. I know someone who's been vaccinated, and she got a text asking if she could turn up at 3pm at the location, reply with this code for yes or this code for No. It's less of a pick and choose and more as "this is your allocated slot", with the option to decline, when you (I assume) go back to the bottom of the list.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

I'm not sure that's right, quite. I know someone who's been vaccinated, and she got a text asking if she could turn up at 3pm at the location, reply with this code for yes or this code for No. It's less of a pick and choose and more as "this is your allocated slot", with the option to decline, when you (I assume) go back to the bottom of the list.

To be fair my first response to anybody rejecting a time slot would be to ask what was more important that couldn’t be moved from that particular time in order to get the vaccination.

Obviously this is very flippant and there will be genuine reasons why certain times don’t work for certain people. However it’d have to be something pretty big to stop me going at whatever time slot they gave me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I assume you just get moved to the next available slot and you can take or leave that. I’d like to think people being picky would go to the back of the queue but I doubt it.

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Have you considered you're overestimating the clamour too?

There’s also the practical issue of getting to the jab at stupid o’clock in the morning. If you don’t have a car and can’t afford a taxi and it’s miles away, your ability to attend is significantly compromised. I doubt most of us on VT are in that position but I know many people who would be. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

To be fair my first response to anybody rejecting a time slot would be to ask what was more important that couldn’t be moved from that particular time in order to get the vaccination.

Obviously this is very flippant and there will be genuine reasons why certain times don’t work for certain people. However it’d have to be something pretty big to stop me going at whatever time slot they gave me. 

Work? For some people its not that easy to just disappear from work for an hour or two at short notice.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

To be fair my first response to anybody rejecting a time slot would be to ask what was more important that couldn’t be moved from that particular time in order to get the vaccination

Again, I don't think it's a case of conversations - they're contacting so many people, it's all automated (at least in the areas she lives). Text, reply with Yes, text arrives confirming timing. That's it. It'll be a computer programme  auto-running an algorithm, not someone actually calling people up and chatting.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Again, I don't think it's a case of conversations - they're contacting so many people, it's all automated (at least in the areas she lives). Text, reply with Yes, text arrives confirming timing. That's it. It'll be a computer programme  auto-running an algorithm, not someone actually calling people up and chatting.

OK, so it continues to fire out 3.00am appointments till they hit someone who thinks that's a good time for them. 

I'll ask my mum and dad how they got their appointments. I'm pretty sure they picked their time, but that was at the local surgery. 

Â