Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good for those airlines. I'll de definitely flying with an airline who ban non vaccinated people. 

Something needs to be done to "encourage" the ****wits who don't want to take it. 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Something needs to be done to "encourage" the ****wits who don't want to take it. 

Absolutely. Something like having their benefits/pension suspended until they have the vaccination might work :D 

Never happen though. 

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Yup, I’m with you. 

Might change my tune in late August when I’m due to go to the US and haven’t had mine though! #squeakybumtime 

Unless something goes wrong with supply I don't see any reason why everyone won't have been offered one by August. 

That said we have to consider that they are going to need to start on the second jabs in a couple of months so "new" people will have to enter the system at lower rates than currently. 

They said all along getting it into people's arms would not be the issue and that certainly seems to be the case, they haven't even opened up all the facilities yet.  I'm guessing they could go up to 500k a day if they had the supply. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Absolutely. Something like having their benefits/pension suspended until they have the vaccination might work :D 

Never happen though. 

No, that's too close to making it compulsory. Missing out on their fortnight in Benidorm  is more of a choice, but one they wouldn't like to miss out on. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Unless something goes wrong with supply I don't see any reason why everyone won't have been offered one by August. 

That said we have to consider that they are going to need to start on the second jabs in a couple of months so "new" people will have to enter the system at lower rates than currently. 

They said all along getting it into people's arms would not be the issue and that certainly seems to be the case, they haven't even opened up all the facilities yet.  I'm guessing they could go up to 500k a day if they had the supply. 

Fingers crossed. 

Even if we haven’t made the NHS list by then, I’m hoping there will be enough supply that we can go private if we need to. 

I’ve got no problem paying (within reason obviously), but I wouldn’t feel comfortable ‘taking a dose’ from public healthcare, I’d only do it if it was a capacity issue, rather than than supply. 

Just now, sidcow said:

No, that's too close to making it compulsory. Missing out on their fortnight in Benidorm  is more of a choice, but one they wouldn't like to miss out on. 

Its a killer virus, should it not be compulsory? 

1 hour ago, limpid said:

There's no chance that anyone in government has thought about a way of recording who has had the vaccine in a way that third parties can check.

Unfortunately, someone will sell you a fake certificate if you need it.

That was my thought too.  Maybe they could find a way of putting a microchip in each dose or something.

As for Laurence Fox he must be pretty close to career suicide surely.  I can't see anyone really wanting a downmarket Katie Hopkins in their show.  

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not sure comrade. 

Certainly for healthcare workers / carers, or anyone who is in contact with a lot of the more vulnerable population.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

As for Laurence Fox he must be pretty close to career suicide surely.  I can't see anyone really wanting a downmarket Katie Hopkins in their show.  

He's attracting the attention of mainstream press now.  I've seen his latest stunt in a few newspaper sites.  He is going to make himself very difficult to employ.  

2lpmk8.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Certainly for healthcare workers / carers, or anyone who is in contact with a lot of the more vulnerable population.

Yes, I would agree with that. It's akin to not following basic hygiene procedures when dealing with vulnerable people. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The opposite was true early on wasn't it? There were even hospitals (in France possibly) that were treating people with nicotine patches as an experiment

When I said disproportionate I meant that smokers seemed to be less affected early on, with some loose hypothesis that the virus preferred a nice set of clean lungs.

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When I said disproportionate I meant that smokers seemed to be less affected early on, with some loose hypothesis that the virus preferred a nice set of clean lungs.

Sorry, i misunderstood what you were saying. In that case not heard anything

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

There were loads of theories initially, some suggesting more likely to catch and it be very ill and others saying less likely to catch it, but higher chance of being very ill if you do. 

Some said it was down to the lungs, some said it was because smokers touch their face more often and there was a theory that nicotine prevents it spreading. Clinical trials on nicotine are ongoing and results due later this year, but on the basis we haven’t heard anything about it, I’m assuming it’s a non-starter. 

It is so heartening to see the vaccination data on Our World in Data.  If you select the 7-day rolling average, we are now only marginally below Bahrain for the number of doses administered per 100 people (Israel taking a bit of a dip and UAE really going for it too which is interesting).  Our rate of vaccinations will only increase, assuming we have the supply, and especially with the input from 101 Logs Bde if required - the dogs danglies when it comes to rapid distribution in operational scenarios.   

• Like 3

Â