Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Anyone had the vaccine yet?

Don't think we have anyone in an appropriate demographic, they haven't got to underlying conditions yet. The only person I know whose had it is the missus because her Trust had spare of the Pfizer one because people are hanging on for the AZ one

Just now, bickster said:

Don't think we have anyone in an appropriate demographic, they haven't got to underlying conditions yet. The only person I know whose had it is the missus because her Trust had spare of the Pfizer one because people are hanging on for the AZ one

I’ve noticed a few people on Facebook of a similar age to me (put 30’s) have had it. I assume they either work for NHS/Healthcare or have underlying issues. 

Same as Bickster, my missus has had the vaccine, end of batch, 48 hours notice to get vaccinated 8:00pm on a Sunday evening.

She should have been in tier 8, or 9, or whatever but a combination of front line work, over 55, and a dozen spare doses of Pfizer warming up in a standard fridge 15 miles from the house pushed her to the front of the queue.

• Like 1

After vaccination - corona infection is spread in nursing homes in Bengtsfors

Several of the residents at Granåsgården in Bengtsfors have fallen ill with covid-19 - just a few days after the entire nursing home received the corona vaccine.
- It is maximum bad luck, now that we were so close, says Anna Sandström, web strategist in Bengtfors municipality.

It was on Thursday that 56 of the 60 people living in the special accommodation received their first dose of the corona vaccine. Two days later, it was established that one of the residents was ill with covid-19. Now several others at the accommodation have also fallen ill.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vast/efter-vaccinering-coronasmitta-sprids-pa-aldreboende

Long way to go still.

Just now, sne said:

just a few days after the entire nursing home received the corona vaccine.

It takes weeks to get to peak efficacy, so it happening just a few days after isn't exactly a shock and the story is being stupidly alarmist for not pointing this out. Should be a non-story

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

These sort of stories are totally irresponsible

No, they show that people should not let their guards down as soon as there is a vaccine. One or more of these people most likely got infected by someone even before they got the vaccine and it takes time for the vaccine to be efficient. Also shows why the strategy some have taken of getting the limited amount of vaccine to as many as possible rather than making sure the people who need it most get their 2 doses might be a risky one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

No, they show that people should not let their guards down as soon as there is a vaccine. One or more of these people most likely got infected by someone even before they got the vaccine and it takes time for the vaccine to be efficient. Also shows why the strategy some have taken of getting the limited amount of vaccine to as many as possible rather than making sure the people who need it most get their 2 doses might be a risky one.

No, they are irresponsible. They particularly through their headlines intentionally sensationalise something that isn’t a sensational story.

They are little more than click bait, aimed at creating interest in a story that is frankly not at all interesting. Doing this at a time when there is a serious issue around an anti vaccine agenda and propaganda in some quarters is utterly irresponsible.

People aren’t vaccinated the second they have the vaccine. That’s an important message and one that needs to be strongly and widely emphasised so people protect themselves after receiving the vaccine.

Further having had the vaccine doesn’t stop or there isn’t evidence to support the idea it stops the spread so even after the vaccine people need to adhere to current rules.

But putting out stories that imply that the vaccine has failed as this and others do is irresponsible and frankly dangerous. It’s just unacceptable in my view.

As for your conclusion that this case somehow suggests the current vaccination strategy is a risky one is a case in point of the damage this sort of baseless story does. This story in no way supports that view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’ve noticed a few people on Facebook of a similar age to me (put 30’s) have had it. I assume they either work for NHS/Healthcare or have underlying issues. 

The underlying issues people are not THAT high up the groups.  I have diabetes and am 50 and it looks like I jump 2 groups because of diabetes.  They will be NHS people.  There is another group of clinical extremely vulnerable who come in at the same time as the over 70s but I don't think we're there yet. 

My parents are both around 80, both have underlying health issues and they have not heard anything or gotten any information at all.

They live at home and are currently fine but you'd think they would have gotten at least some information.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This is the breakdown of UK age groups in millions if anyone is interested. 

Screenshot_20210117-104704_Opera.jpg

That’s really interesting, for some reason I assumed there were far more older folks than that.

65+ I mean

Edited by bannedfromHandV

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That’s really interesting, for some reason I assumed there were far more older folks than that.

65+ I mean

Yeah, obviously after 60 illness and general age related issues must start to bite. 

More interesting to me is the low numbers in the under 25s.  And both my kids fall into the 15-19 figures which is the lowest on record.  I fall into the 50-54 group, the highest on record.  We were the children of the baby boomers so I guess that's why there are a lot of us. 

But it shows the difficulties this country will face in the future when my generation are geriatrics, there is going to be a hell of a lot of care needed and not many taxpayers to pay for it. 

I saw in the news that this year the UK population has contracted for the first year since WW2.  That's probably going to accelerate unless the birth rate picks up,  but that small group in currently 15-19 are going to be the next set of baby makers and their ain't many of them! 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â