Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

and it isn't currently what's happening

It is the St Helens one opened this week and it's been the plan for some considerable time. I think it was 10 regional centres but maybe that's been expanded now

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It is the St Helens one opened this week

Okay, but the only person I know who has been vaccinated had it done in the spiritualist church in Stourbridge which is certainly not any kind of regional hub. That's precisely the sort of venue in which it wouldn't make sense to offer a 24-hour service, but if it was a much bigger venue drawing in people from a much larger catchment area the logic for 24-hour service would be greater not lesser.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Okay, but the only person I know who has been vaccinated had it done in the spiritualist church in Stourbridge

Was this person in the top 4 categories? As far as I was aware the plan for those was community based but under that it was the big regional centres

Just now, bickster said:

Was this person in the top 4 categories? As far as I was aware the plan for those was community based but under that it was the big regional centres

Yes, she's over 100. Are they planning to actually *close* smaller centres, or is it a case of introducing the big regional centres in addition?

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, she's over 100. Are they planning to actually *close* smaller centres, or is it a case of introducing the big regional centres in addition?

No idea on that tbh but the smaller ones will be open for some considerable time given the second dose situation

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

No idea on that tbh but the smaller ones will be open for some considerable time given the second dose situation

Yeah, that would be my assumption as well.

As I say, I think it makes sense to have different approaches for different types of centres. Small centres like churches and scout huts and whatever, of course it would be silly to be open all night. But a big venue, perhaps with just a skeleton staff and not necessarily 7 nights a week, I can absolutely see a case for some 24-hour opening.

44 minutes ago, MCU said:

I’ve noticed it goes awfully quiet on this forum when somebody shares a bit of positivity like this. 😂

Hasn't this thread added six pages in the last 24 hours? How many posts do you want?

Could too much time between doses drive the coronavirus to outwit vaccines?

Paul Bieniasz didn’t mince words in a sarcastic New Year’s Day statement he tweeted. If he wanted to create a new, vaccine-resisting version of the pandemic coronavirus, the Rockefeller University virologist wrote, “having developed a remarkable two-dose vaccine, [I’d] … ADMINISTER IT TO MILLIONS OF PEOPLE – BUT DELAY THE SECOND DOSE. … If we let immunity wane for a little while, say 4 to 12 weeks, we just might hit the sweet spot”—and create a virus that could foil the vaccine.

Bieniasz was reacting to the United Kingdom’s 30 December 2020 decision to allow up to 12 weeks between doses of two authorized vaccines, rather than the 3 or 4 weeks tested in the vaccines’ clinical trials. Desperate to tame a massive surge in cases and alarmed by the spread of a new, more contagious variant of the virus, U.K. vaccine experts were aiming to quickly get at least some protection into the arms of as many people as possible.

Experts don’t agree, however, on how big of a risk a long delay between doses poses, especially when weighed against the current out-of-control spread of the pandemic coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, in many places. “It’s carnage out there,” says Andrew Read, an evolutionary microbiologist at Pennsylvania State University, University Park. “Twice as many people with partial immunity has got to be better than full immunity in half of them.”

Some data support the possibility that partial immunity could spawn new variants. For example, a case study published recently in The New England Journal of Medicine reported how, in a prolonged, ultimately fatal case of SARS-CoV-2 in an immunocompromised man, the virus kept mutating at a rapid rate compared with virus circulating in the general population.

But evolutionary biologists who use computer modeling to generate scenarios of viral “escape” from vaccines say there aren’t enough data yet to compute this still-hypothetical risk, and any single mutation is unlikely to send vaccine effectiveness plummeting. Bloom notes that “even [the] worst mutations” seen so far only partially eroded the effectiveness of antibodies from recovered patients’ blood.

“Most people I know who do dynamical modeling in public health and evolution think [vaccine escape] is a secondary … concern. That it’s more important just to immunize broadly right now. I’m in that camp,” says Sarah Cobey, an epidemiologist and evolutionary biologist at the University of Chicago.

...more

• Like 1

Just heard Mark Drakeford the Welsh FM tell BBC R4 that they are spreading out distribution of their Pfizer vaccine supply.... so the vaccinators don’t run out and have nothing to do. 

The level of sheer bovine stupidity would be funny if it wasn’t so serious. Bloke needs locking up to protect the public from him. 

We keep hearing that experts don’t agree with the upto 12 week gap between injections, there must be some that agree and signed off on it. I can’t believe Johnson and Hancock cooked this idea up themselves and just pushed ahead.

8 hours ago, MCU said:

I’ve noticed it goes awfully quiet on this forum when somebody shares a bit of positivity like this. 😂

Mario Balotelli - "When a postman delivers letters, does he celebrate?"

It does appear to be going much more smoothly than anyone could have predicted, given the complete mess they've made of the rest of this disaster. I'll reserve full judgement until the job is complete though.

Is it too much to ask they brought the same organisation and efficiency to the last 12 months?

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

We keep hearing that experts don’t agree with the upto 12 week gap between injections, there must be some that agree and signed off on it. I can’t believe Johnson and Hancock cooked this idea up themselves and just pushed ahead.

"Experts" also said the MMR vaccine made kids Autistic. 

There always seems to be someone looking to stick their oar in about vaccines.

OK this guy might be right but my money would be on us getting to 2nd vaccinations without armageddon looming. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the point of the article linked in my post was to show that there are many different views on the subject from experts. It would appear that they all acknowledge that there is a risk in doing this (Vallance and Whitty did to differing extents in one of the press conferences last week) but some suggest that the risk is much less than others, is of a secondary concern and is outweighed by the potential benefit of giving the first dose to people.

The point is that we don't know and can't be sure and that we ought to be cautious(ly optimistic) until we do know for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

"Experts" also said the MMR vaccine made kids Autistic. 

There always seems to be someone looking to stick their oar in about vaccines.

OK this guy might be right but my money would be on us getting to 2nd vaccinations without armageddon looming. 

That's a really, really shoddy comparison.

13 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Mario Balotelli - "When a postman delivers letters, does he celebrate?"

It does appear to be going much more smoothly than anyone could have predicted, given the complete mess they've made of the rest of this disaster. I'll reserve full judgement until the job is complete though.

Is it too much to ask they brought the same organisation and efficiency to the last 12 months?

Cringe.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

That's a really, really shoddy comparison.

Is it? It made headlines in all major press and spawned a whole anti vaccine movement.  And that was before social media allowed easy spread of these kinds of messages.  My friends didn't give their kids MMR because they heard what a doctor had said on the radio. 

Let's see eh? If in 3 months time we are overrun by vaccine resistant strains I'll agree he was right. 

Â