Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Work? For some people its not that easy to just disappear from work for an hour or two at short notice.

I guess in some circumstances I can see this point and it does depend on what jobs people are doing. For a lot of people logging off for an hour or two and then working that later on would be an option especially given the number of people working from home at the moment.

I’d like to think that the majority of employers would be very accommodating of the fact that their workforce having the vaccination is more important in the long run than what the vast majority of people achieve in an hour or two of work time. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

Have you considered you're overestimating the clamour too?

Well, yeah. That's why I said "I think". I.e. this is only my opinion. Unlike some others I'd never be as arrogant as to say "you're wrong" to someone else on here.

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I guess in some circumstances I can see this point and it does depend on what jobs people are doing. For a lot of people logging off for an hour or two and then working that later on would be an option especially given the number of people working from home at the moment.

I’d like to think that the majority of employers would be very accommodating of the fact that their workforce having the vaccination is more important in the long run than what the vast majority of people achieve in an hour or two of work time. 

Certainly for me with my work it'd be easy. I'm sure there are others like me and I'm sure there are those who wouldn't be able to be as flexible.

• Like 1

Couldn't they do 24 hours for 2 or 3 days a week, rather than 24/7?  I'm sure there would be enough demand to fill all those slots.  I know I would, hell right now I'd pay a grand to get one done tonight.  Continue to do it during the day in order of need and then allow the rest of the population to make an appointment during the night time.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

OK, so it continues to fire out 3.00am appointments till they hit someone who thinks that's a good time for them. 

And once again, who is injecting people at 3am and why can that same person not inject the same person at 3pm? 

Which part of the logistical process stops those same people, doing the same thing in the daytime?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

And once again, who is injecting people at 3am and why can that same person not inject the same person at 3pm? 

Which part of the logistical process stops those same people, doing the same thing in the daytime?

The people who can't / don't want to be injected in the daytime because of their working patterns.  

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The people who can't / don't want to be injected in the daytime because of their working patterns.  

So we have a large enough demographic of people who are both desperate to be vaccinated at 3am (to the extent they would do it then rather than waiting a bit longer for one in the daytime), but also are unable to take an hour off work in the daytime, or unwilling to take a day of annual leave?

Forgive me, but that to me sounds like someone who doesn't really exist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Dont forget there are people declining the Pfizer vaccine because they want to wait for the “British” one. Not everyone shares the same level of urgency.

Aside from a few idiots, I don’t think declining the Pfizer vaccine because it’s not British is that big a thing. However, I have heard of medical staff, declining the Pfizer because they don’t think it will have been administered correctly and kept at the correct temperatures. A more reasonable response. 

As for the 24 hr model,  I’d be down for it and I know lots of others who would as well. If I was told to go at 3am tomorrow or wait until June I’d not even hesitate to go. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

So we have a large enough demographic of people who are both desperate to be vaccinated at 3am (to the extent they would do it then rather than waiting a bit longer for one in the daytime), but also are unable to take an hour off work in the daytime, or unwilling to take a day of annual leave?

I can’t believe there is an employer who wouldn’t bend over backwards to allow their employee to get a vaccine at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 2

The UK is targeting 2m vaccines a week to meet its targets and the new super centres and “extended opening” are part of that.

They did 325k (equivalent of 2.275m a week) vaccines the other day without that infrastructure so the real target must be much higher.

It’s not a bad thing if they are working to a higher target but keeping it under wraps as they don’t have the best record at hitting targets.

27 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'm a bit surprised at this pushback to be honest. Not everyone works during the daytime; not everyone can get annual leave at short notice. Not many people go shopping for groceries in the middle of the night either, but enough do for it to be worthwhile for Tesco to run one or two 24 hours supermarkets per region.

Obviously you don't need *as many* centres open outside of normal hours, but one or two per council area seems like a good idea to me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

The UK is targeting 2m vaccines a week to meet its targets and the new super centres and “extended opening” are part of that.

They did 325k (equivalent of 2.275m a week) vaccines the other day without that infrastructure so the real target must be much higher.

It’s not a bad thing if they are working to a higher target but keeping it under wraps as they don’t have the best record at hitting targets.

On Telly this morning Dominic Raab was asked if it was true that the real plan was to get all adults vaccinated by June which some paper had reported.  He said end of September was still the aim but "if it can be done more swiftly that is a bonus" 

I do think they are aiming to get it done sooner, but maybe they are hedging their bets 8n case of supply interruptions. We've already see Pfizer has renaged on supply promises. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm a bit surprised at this pushback to be honest. Not everyone works during the daytime; not everyone can get annual leave at short notice. Not many people go shopping for groceries in the middle of the night either, but enough do for it to be worthwhile for Tesco to run one or two 24 hours supermarkets per region.

Obviously you don't need *as many* centres open outside of normal hours, but one or two per council area seems like a good idea to me.

A good analogy and exactly what they are proposing. 

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think the debate is whether you put on a night shift to sweep up a few people who it really suits, or you use that same personal for an additional day shift where they’ll be much busier.

Its just a theory. I suspect as has been said the night shifts will happen, and they’ll probably be under utilised, but 24 hours has been promised now so we’ll see it for a while at least.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

side from a few idiots, I don’t think declining the Pfizer vaccine because it’s not British is that big a thing

But it is, even amongst NHS staff, only half of the nurses my missus works with have had the Pfizer, specifically for this reason, they are waiting for the AZ vaccine. It's a think, a quite sizeable thing. So much so nearly all the Admin Staff who weren't meant to get it yet that want  it have had it and there's talk of a family of staff scheme starting this week (my names down)

Granted, they aren't all doing it for patriotic reasons, some may well have other reasons but there are definitely lots of people holding off until they can get the AZ one. Bearing in mind that these nurse also happen to be the school immunisation teams they know a thing or two about vaccines but it isn't the storage thats bothering them, its the new tech vs old modified tech thats bothering them

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Except that isn't the way this is being rolled out to the mass population. Big regional centres is the way they are going, it's always been the plan. As said earlier, ours is in St Helens, the far side of St Helens which now doubt will not just be serving the LCR but Warrington and West Lancs too if not more

Public transport doesn't exist after midnight here and the Stadium is nowhere near a train station of any usefulness

Extended opening is a good thing, 24/hrs a day is nonsense. 6am to 10pm I would imagine is what extended opening is

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Except that isn't the way this is being rolled out to the mass population. Big regional centres is the way they are going, it's always been the plan. As said earlier, ours is in St Helens, the far side of St Helens which now doubt will not just be serving the LCR but Warrington and West Lancs too if not more

Public transport doesn't exist after midnight here and the Stadium is nowhere near a train station of any usefulness

Extended opening is a good thing, 24/hrs a day is nonsense. 6am to 10pm I would imagine is what extended opening is

If the main place for vaccinations is to be big regional centres - I haven't seen anything about this, and it isn't currently what's happening, but I'm taking your word for it - then 24-hour opening will make more sense, not less, as concerns about under-utilisation will be less relevant in a big centre with a large catchment area.

If public transport isn't available, then people who rely on public transport won't take those slots. I'm not seeing the issue.

Â