Generic Virus Thread

villakram

54 minutes ago, Jareth said:

France changed their reporting to include care homes - we have not chosen to follow suit. That's a choice.

Liz Kendall is right these questions do need to be asked of the government but it shouldn't be down to the press to ask them. We are going though one of the biggest crisis in this countries history and parliament has been in recess for the last 2 weeks and doesn't return for another 11 days. I know parliament will almost certainly have to return via video links but surely our elected members should be sitting now and scrutinising the government.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Liz Kendall is right these questions do need to be asked of the government but it shouldn't be down to the press to ask them. We are going though one of the biggest crisis in this countries history and parliament has been in recess for the last 2 weeks and doesn't return for another 11 days. I know parliament will almost certainly have to return via video links but surely our elected members should be sitting now and scrutinising the government.

There are some select committee hearings taking place virtually. I don't know the extent, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Eh? I’d imagine that as part of standard reporting hospitals would record and submit the figures for who has died and of what on a daily basis to the ministry.

As long as that’s happening the MoH will have a pretty accurate set of figures to do their real time modelling, which was my point. 

From early on they said that this isn't happening, didn't they?

Or are we talking at cross purposes, i.e. you're talking about numbers reported internally and Dept of Health numbers declared?

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

From early on they said that this isn't happening, didn't they?

Or are we talking at cross purposes, i.e.you're talking about numbers reported internally and Dept of Health numbers declared?

Yes exactly, was saying I hope they have accurate and current figures from internal reporting to use for their own modelling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yes exactly, was saying I hope they have accurate and current figures from internal reporting to use for their own modelling. 

Okay, that's fair enough - but they won't have that for figures outside of hospitals so there will need to be a way of trying to marry up those separate figures.

6 hours ago, bickster said:

We are by far the most surveiled population in Europe already 

Are you absolutely sure about this? I don't believe for one second that we are more heavily surveiled than Russia or most of Eastern Europe. 

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Are you absolutely sure about this? I don't believe for one second that we are more heavily surveiled than Russia or most of Eastern Europe. 

I think the measurement  often used is number of CCTV cameras per 100 people , so that runs USA then China then Uk ... 

in terms of just number of cameras installed it runs , China , USA , Germany , UK , Japan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

First they came for the memory sticks,

But I did not complain, as I didn’t need one.

Then they came for the £4 tee shirts,

But I did not complain, as I already had several.

Then they came for the hummus...

Don't worry, I think the Guardian have a recipe for you. All you need is a hand chizzled pestle and mortar, yuzu fruit, adzuki beans, Alaskan Thunderf*ck leaves and a few drops of Puerto Rican virgin tears. I suspect most of us have this gathering dust in the back of the cupboard and now is probably the time to bring them out of hibernation for your next delicious topping for your home-made pitta bread (recipe coming soon). 

54 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think the measurement  often used is number of CCTV cameras per 100 people , so that runs USA then China then Uk ... 

in terms of just number of cameras installed it runs , China , USA , Germany , UK , Japan

I wouldn't treat CCTV cameras as intrusive surveillance. I think more of examining your e-mails, monitoring social media and listening in on phone calls.  I suspect we have more CCTV cameras because we have bigger terrorism problems in this country. 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Turns out there is enough PPE, but Mat Hancock thinks the NHS are using it wrong.

If we had a working media, he’d have resigned or been sacked by now.

Yeah that annoyed me. Spent about 5 minutes telling everyone all the great PPE related things they'd done. 

But people still don't have enough. And we had a headstart on everyone to get enough. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that annoyed me. Spent about 5 minutes telling everyone all the great PPE related things they'd done. 

But people still don't have enough. And we had a headstart on everyone to get enough. 

It was the double speak as well.

There is enough PPE, we’re on top of it.

But I appeal to anyone out there that could switch to manufacturing more to get in touch with me.

Why the merry **** would he need new companies to re tool to make PPE if there’s already enough?

Did the press and TV pick him up on that? No, of course they **** didn’t, they all want the first interview with Jesus Johnson so they’ll play along.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Turns out there is enough PPE, but Mat Hancock thinks the NHS are using it wrong.

He's from Chester, those folk are so far up their own arse they can lick their previous nights dinner (tea) as a quick savoury snack.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I wouldn't treat CCTV cameras as intrusive surveillance. I think more of examining your e-mails, monitoring social media and listening in on phone calls.  I suspect we have more CCTV cameras because we have bigger terrorism problems in this country. 

What gives you the impression we have a bigger terrorist problem in the UK?

EDIT: And you don't stop terrorism with CCTV

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It was the double speak as well.

There is enough PPE, we’re on top of it.

But I appeal to anyone out there that could switch to manufacturing more to get in touch with me.

Why the merry **** would he need new companies to re tool to make PPE if there’s already enough?

Did the press and TV pick him up on that? No, of course they **** didn’t, they all want the first interview with Jesus Johnson so they’ll play along.

How the **** does he get away with that?

Why do we seem to live in a world right now where there is no accountability to these words removed?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Mate he's nothing but a lying word removed, 

My cousin who is a front line paramedic was down to next to nothing, I've gave her and her team 30 masks on Thursday from my own construction company. 

As well as transporting positive patients they now also have to move the bodies in the hospital. 

To say she is petrified is the least! 

The bloke is a first class lying word removed! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It has been asked about in the daily press conferences. Several times.

I get all that, but I ask why they are not attempting to collect care home data the same day - not community deaths, or lagging cases outside hospitals, but at care homes. France can do it, why can we not? It strikes me they don't want to count care homes because they don't want to talk about care homes (because they are the last priority and seriously under protected with PPE), they don't want to count NHS staff deaths, because they don't want to talk about NHS staff deaths (because they should be the first priority and they are seriously under protected with PPE). They do want to talk about Boris Johnson's recovery, like at all times. 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The media have in the main been a joke summed by the way over the last few days the main focus has been on Johnson going into ICU/coming out of ICU rather than the approaching 1000 (and more in reality) daily deaths, the fact that drs and nurses are amongst those dying and the lack of PPE.

A few weeks ago when Italy was at its so called peak and was getting less deaths than we are now the reporting on that was rightly alarmist and reflected the gravity of the situation. Now we have reached that level, and beyond, it seems reporting on some buffoon who 5 weeks ago was giving it the bigun that he was shaking the hands of people with coronvirus is now up trotting around a hospital is more important than reflecting the tragedy that another 1k people lost their lives and tens of thousands more will soon follow.

Is this lack of reporting the gravity of the situation and what seem obvious failings due to much of our press not wanting to give the impression that our government have made a mess of this given the advantage of being bale to see what was happening in other countries and acted too late on that info and that we went into it so ill prepared due in part to the 10 years of Tory austerity and decimation of public services. Policies that many of the rags encouraged their readers to support and vote for.

I was also just about to say I think Labour need to step up to the plate more and be more damning of some of the crap the government are getting away with saying and then I just saw this tweet by Starmer which is hopefully a sign of things to come.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Â