Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I am sure this has already been mentioned in this thread but one of the obvious other consequences of coronavirus is that people are going to die who wouldn't otherwise for other health issues due to beds and doctors being taken up treating those with coronavirus. You get ill, have a heart attack or stroke etc, over next few months and your chances of surviving are not as high as they would have been.

Edited by markavfc40

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

You may well be right mate, it’s definitely a debate that gets settled before we forget about it. 

I certainly hope I'm right, because we're screwed otherwise!

But yeah, it's better to take big action fast and get people staying at home. 

I also like the Danish approach of paying everybody at 75% of their salary for the duration.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I certainly hope I'm right, because we're screwed otherwise!

But yeah, it's better to take big action fast and get people staying at home. 

I also like the Danish approach of paying everybody at 75% of their salary for the duration.

I like you’re strategy too in principle, but don’t think it’s going to work over the duration required to deal with this outbreak. If you’re right I’ll be over the moon. 

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good question, and the one that EVERY family is asking. General feeling is that they'll be closed by the end of the week. 

Just keep them home starting tomorrow

It is really quiet outside. I live right by the docks with a view of Casco bay bridge which connects Portland and South Portland. 8PM on a Monday and there are no cars crossing. Nobody in the street at all. 

Edited by maqroll

Kinda crazy that the whole world is pretty much f***ed over such small numbers of people. Around 155,000 people die every single day, 2/3 of these are age related. If you take the 60 or so days that people have been dying from covid-19 around 9.3 million people will have died, 6 million or so of these will be as a result of "old age"

Given that many of the 7,200 people who have died as a result of covid -19 are elderly/already sick there is a good chance that a fair old chunk of those would have died anyway as part of the 9.3 million and currently the numbers only account for approximately 0.07% of deaths in the past 60 days or so.

The WHO estimates that there are between 80000-130000 deaths every year from people being bitten by a snake, averaged out over the same 60 day period (using 100,000 per year as an estimate) this would mean that 16,500 people have potentially died from snake bites in the same time as 7,200 have died from covid-19

Edited by LakotaDakota

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s certainly all a compelling argument for universal basic income. 

I'm increasingly in favour in principle, but not right now, both because we could never create a new method of disbursing funds during a crisis like this (and don't need to anyway, if we can just keep paying people), and because a UBI would reward bad business actors like Virgin who are both ditching their obligations to staff and demanding bailouts. Viable companies should be protected during the crisis, but they shouldn't be let off the hook in terms of their obligations.

Longer term, I suspect this crisis will probably strengthen the case for a UBI, yes.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Nervous Americans start panic buying GUNS

Americans are starting to panic-buy guns with sales rocketing across the country and shoppers lining up around the block outside hunting shops amid coronavirus fears.

Some buyers sought to 'protect their families' from looters should food and supplies run out due to coronavirus panic. 

Others feared that the government's emergency powers could restrict their right to buy a gun while some Asian-Americans bought weapons to protect themselves from potential racist attacks. 

Daily Mail

What could possibly go wrong in US 

I bought a new gun today. 

Just now, Kingman said:

I Bought some bog roll. 

& me, 22 rolls :)

Haven't seen any in shops since Wednesday so grabbed a 4pack when i saw one this morning on the way in to work. Nipped out at lunchtime & the local b&m shop seemed to have some new stock of 18packs so bought one of those too to save having to go hunting again for another week or two

• Haha 1

If there was any doubt about just how amateurish American government is these days, this catastrophic response to CV should dispel it all. Useless **** words removed of the very first order. People said Trump would get us all killed, and look where we are now. This is a tragedy in real time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If there was any doubt about just how amateurish American government is these days, this catastrophic response to CV should dispel it all. Useless **** words removed of the very first order. People said Trump would get us all killed, and look where we are now. This is a tragedy in real time.

Some US analysts I follow on Twitter are wailing about how bad things are in the UK. Perspective lacking...

29 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

I bought a new gun today. 

How many hands have you got mate? Even with the wife charging mags, only so many rounds you can get down range in one go. You need a tank. 

• Like 1

Just now, Awol said:

How many hands have you got mate? Even with the wife charging mags, only so many rounds you can get down range in one go. You need a tank. 

Hahaha. Didn’t really buy a gun. Did buy some ammo tho! I was very calm. 

ps. I really wanted to buy a gun!

pps. Do you know of a tank going cheap!?

• Like 1

There were mass layoffs and bar/restaurant closures today here in Portland. Very sad. There will be thousands of restaurant workers who will be broke or close to it as soon as this weekend. We need relief money getting into people's hands pronto. Loan predators are probably drooling at this scenario.

Edited by maqroll

Â