Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just popped to see my supplier of hydroponically grown goodness. 

He makes concentrated oils (amazing stuff) and he’s moaning like a good ‘un because the wholesale prices of rubbing alcohol and similar has gone through the roof. 

He reckons he buys 10 litres for £50, now it’s £150 and climbing. 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think that's the only sensible approach really.

I mean don't put yourself at ridiculous risk, but don't 'stop' life for an unspecified period. This could go on indefinitely. It looks like its stopped spreading where everyone has spent the last 2 months hiding under the stairs, but I'd presume it'll just pick up again when people resurface. Imagine the economy if we all stay indoors for the next 6 months, with no guarantee that will change very much

This is it. You should avoid social gatherings because you might catch it? Fair enough. But you should also avoid them just in case you already have it and might pass it on? Given that it takes five days before the symptoms start, and up to 50% of carriers get only mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, some would say we should all assume we've got it, and everybody should self-isolate (for how long, btw?), just in case. 

Ain't gonna happen. I've got places to go (a couple of days in Whitby this week, a week in Wales in a fortnight), friends to meet, bands to see. Life goes on. Or it doesn't. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I’m not sure what to think tbh, I feel like there is a bit too much facebook-esque bravado still going on at the moment, with the other end of the spectrum being people hoarding more bog roll than they can use in a decade. 

Even the CDC in the US are suggesting over 60’s might want to curtail their social lives a bit. There was some bloke on Newsnight last night (NOT FARAGE!) who was saying it’s looking like the risk for 60+ is going to be quite high. 

My old man and the mother in law both have underlying health issues, so I’m probably just overly worried, but I’m pretty convinced a big, steaming, dollop of s**t is about to hit the fan in the coming days/weeks. 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My girlfriend's company (Aldi) still has most staff on PCs. I've been telling her how backwards this is for ages.

They're now scrambling around trying to buy laptops and get VPNs set up for all of their staff.

They're a **** backwards company in many ways. Part of me is glad this might sting them to teach them to join us in the 21st Century

Surprised by that. I just had a perception that all German companies would be with the times for some reason. Or maybe it’s just how they do things here?

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not my choice mate. If she's that worried then I don't get a choice.

Anyway we spent hours discussing, then arguing last night. Went to bed not talking. Didn't talk at all this morning.

**** whoopee. Don't even have this shit and it's ruining my life.

Just go by yourself or take a mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I know, I know. And I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat, but the timing couldn't be worse. I've had a hell of year professionally and this single week would make everything worth it. My reward. Everyone else around has had theirs and when it's time for mine, not only could it be canceled but I have to pay for the pleasure.

It sucks.

Nah you don’t at all mate. Everyone needs a break now and then, especially if had a really tough year. 

You do sound a little under the thumb though ;)

My company just forbid us to fly. I now have to do a 750 mile roadtrip to a customer by car. I'm going for a ludicrously expensive hire-car just because. Wonder is there's a s-class available

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

My company just forbid us to fly. I now have to do a 750 mile roadtrip to a customer by car. I'm going for a ludicrously expensive hire-car just because. Wonder is there's a s-class available

Will you be asking the hire company if anyone else has rented it in the last 5 days or if any of their staff have had contact with cars that strangers have used?

(I’ve just had the same conversation with my boss, the guy who last week told me to use taxis instead of tubes)

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Will you be asking the hire company if anyone else has rented it in the last 5 days or if any of their staff have had contact with cars that strangers have used?

(I’ve just had the same conversation with my boss, the guy who last week told me to use taxis instead of tubes)

uhm GIF

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This is it. You should avoid social gatherings because you might catch it? Fair enough. But you should also avoid them just in case you already have it and might pass it on? Given that it takes five days before the symptoms start, and up to 50% of carriers get only mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, some would say we should all assume we've got it, and everybody should self-isolate (for how long, btw?), just in case. 

Ain't gonna happen. I've got places to go (a couple of days in Whitby this week, a week in Wales in a fortnight), friends to meet, bands to see. Life goes on. Or it doesn't. 

No I think this is profoundly, dangerously wrong. The risk is about to peak (both in terms of illness and in terms of availability of necessary care), so this is exactly the time to be ultra cautious and put your life on hold.

This is not an ongoing risk that just needs to be tolerated. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Awol said:

No, you should. Everyone should. Then perhaps we might collectively stop living in la-la-land about what is coming at us. 

I posted about triage on here a few weeks ago. Now COVID 19 patients in Italy with underlying health issues like cancer, diabetes etc are being left to die as medics prioritize those with the best chance of survival. 40% of those cases in Italy currently being ventilated are 64 or under. It’s not only affecting OAPs - though they’re most vulnerable.

China trashed its economy to try and stop this disease from swamping the country. That’s a really big deal. What we saw there was one European Capital sized city getting humped.

It’s now mushrooming all over Europe. Exponential growth is the thing people are missing imo, this isn’t a linear phenomenon and I don’t think it’s being well explained. 

If you’re not genuinely concerned about this then you really should be, while doing the little you can to prepare yourself and your family. 

I really, really hope I’ve got this totally wrong and would appreciate any evidence people can provide that I am. Any at all.

Agh! 40% of what cases?? I’m reading that in a couple of ways - cases with underlying health conditions? Or, 40% of all of Italy’s cases....?

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Agh! 40% of what cases?? I’m reading that in a couple of ways - cases with underlying health conditions? Or, 40% of all of Italy’s cases....?

I read that it is 40% of all cases currently requiring ventilation, i.e. in a critical condition. Doesn’t appear to be touching under 10’s and barely registering with under 15’s, thank goodness. 

Remember lots of those medics dying in China were in their 30’s and 40’s, using PPE and sometimes still getting infected. Some of them will have had huge levels of exposure to the virus, but not all.

Medics now getting infected in Italy too and their system is better and stronger than ours. They know what they’re doing. 

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

I read that it is 40% of all cases currently requiring ventilation, i.e. in a critical condition. Doesn’t appear to be touching under 10’s and barely registering with under 15’s, thank goodness. 

Remember lots of those medics dying in China were in their 30’s and 40’s, using PPE and sometimes still getting infected. Some of them will have had huge levels of exposure to the virus, but not all.

Medics now getting infected in Italy too and their system is better and stronger than ours. They know what they’re doing. 

But not necessarily living with other health conditions? 

I’m so glad that I’m not reading stories about young people getting this, I’d crumble. I’m already on the verge of having a panic attack of some description. Strange though that it is only affecting adults - why would it be the case? What’s the science behind that - I’m oblivious. 

Yep, but as you say they were exposed to it very early on before I think even they really understood what they were dealing with. They would have only started taking precautions once it was already passed onto them, more likely.  

The situation in Italy is terrifying. Really terrifying. 

Â