The Royal Family

Genie

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I know I got mocked for mentioning earlier that she died last night all I know is I got told a communication went to the FA this morning that all games are to be postponed this weekend due to news that would be broken later in the day to do with the royal family so....make of that what you will 🤨

So we may not get a chance to play Leicester before Rodgers is sacked?

48 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I know I got mocked for mentioning earlier that she died last night all I know is I got told a communication went to the FA this morning that all games are to be postponed this weekend due to news that would be broken later in the day to do with the royal family so....make of that what you will 🤨

Arise, Sir Pissflaps, Knight of the Order of the ITK 🗡 

Enjoyed all the ITK showboating today btw. They’ve cancelled all the telly, Huw Edwards is wearing a black tie, and the entire royal family is being flown into Balmoral from its ancestral planets in Alpha Centauri. Barry from HR is in the staff kitchen, whispering to his colleagues about the ultra classified top secret news he has picked up via his network of informers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

I'm curious to see how they approach the matter in the Bills v Rams game coming up shortly or even it's mentioned ?

Side note the NFL season starts in about 90 minutes🥳  

Well they started the night with Star Spangled Banner . A song that famously celebrates the defeat of the British Monarchy.

Looks like they have gone down the maximum disrespect route.😀

• Haha 2

Just now, KentVillan said:

Enjoyed all the ITK showboating today btw. They’ve cancelled all the telly, Huw Edwards is wearing a black tie, and the entire royal family is being flown into Balmoral from its ancestral planets in Alpha Centauri. Barry from HR is in the staff kitchen, whispering to his colleagues about the ultra classified top secret news he has picked up via his network of informers

Orion Nebula. The Pyramids of Giza look nothing like Alpha Centauri.

• Like 1

Genuine questions from an outsider, for those who do not like the monarchy. Why do y’all want to rid yourselves of the monarchy? What are the positives of changing to a republic that you don’t get with a monarchy? What is wrong with the monarchy staying intact since it is mostly a ceremonial post at this point?

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Genuine questions from an outsider, for those who do not like the monarchy. Why do y’all want to rid yourselves of the monarchy? What are the positives of changing to a republic that you don’t get with a monarchy? What is wrong with the monarchy staying intact since it is mostly a ceremonial post at this point?

When one of them dies, Sunday League gets canceled. I’d like that to happen less.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I’m not a kind of “proactive” Republican, but I wouldn’t be too fussed if we phased out the monarchy.

I think the thing that is poorly understood is just how powerful and wealthy the Royal Family still are. They own enormous expanses of land in the British Isles and across the Commonwealth, and besides their theoretical political power which they have tended in recent times to delegate to the democratically elected government, they enjoy a lot of the same influence that billionaire landowners enjoy in any country.

So it’s not just a ceremonial, fancy dress thing. They actually still wield all sorts of power and privileges that they accumulated over the centuries through behaviour that historically was not that dissimilar to Putin and the Russian oligarchs.

The Queen handled all that inherited power and wealth in largely a positive way, as far as I could see, and seemed a decent person. Will things continue like that with her descendants? Who knows? That’s the problem with hereditary rule, you put so much faith in the “good” monarch behaving in a benevolent way.

I guess a lot will depend on how Charles handles his new role. It seems like other parliamentary democracies like Ireland and Germany have thrived under ceremonial heads of state who are elected by the people, and don’t have a huge amount of political power. Long term could something like that work here? Why not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I think he was being facetious. People have lived in Australia for 40,000 years. 

Aware of that.

Just running with the theme when the invaders decided to call Australia and US countries.

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Where did all those indigenous people come from?

Already there, already established, but unfortunately  like any indigenous population caught up in the Euro colonialism land grab, they didn't count apparently.

Â