The Royal Family

Genie

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Left wing is a bit of a reach!

I often wonder what's in it for countries like Canada in the Commonwealth, I don't think there are any trade advantages and I think ultimately it's just a chance to adopt a part of another culture and take part in our big game of dress up.

Do they gain much in terms of freedoms by losing that?

It seems to me that demanding to leave The Commonwealth and ditch The King is a bit like wanting Brexit to stop having Brussels bossing you about.  Its not really the problem and changing that particular thing isn't going to change much in your life. 

Just now, Genie said:

How do you know this? The family didn’t head up to Scotland until after lunch. 

Because Operation Unicorn was already in effect . They were told during Parliament .   The reason they delayed it for at least 7 hours is for safety reasons (They don't want millions of people on the roads full of adrenaline for a start so they wait for the work force to get home) and protocol.  

The family would certainly have known before even travelling up . I wouldn't be surprised if she passed away this morning or even last night .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I had absolutely no idea it was so **** new.

Yep.

All the penal colonies banded together as one 1st January, 1901.

I also noticed that while I was fact checking this, wikipedia has already updated our HOS to Charles III.

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Because Operation Unicorn was already in effect . They were told during Parliament .   The reason they delayed it for at least 7 hours is for safety reasons (They don't want millions of people on the roads full of adrenaline for a start so they wait for the work force to get home) and protocol.  

The family would certainly have known before even travelling up . I wouldn't be surprised if she passed away this morning or even last night .

I can’t see her nearest and dearest being told she was dead and then waiting in London for a few hours. That’s also assuming they aren’t told she was seriously ill before actually dying.

It makes no sense.

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

They just said it on the news, making the point she’s obviously died before 16:30. 
Why can’t it be true?

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

How do you know this? The family didn’t head up to Scotland until after lunch. 

Because I wasn't joking about the Cabinet Office mole

Just now, AJ said:

Yep.

I also noticed that while I was fact checking this, wikipedia has already updated our HOS to Charles III.

I think he was being facetious. People have lived in Australia for 40,000 years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Yep.

Where did all those indigenous people come from?

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I’m not offended, I just think you have an incredibly low bar for what constitutes brainwashing. And if you were an American (as I thought you were) then complaining about us playing our national anthem too often would certainly be a case of glass houses imo.

As to the wider point I don’t personally think it’s any different from the rest of society / celebrity culture (except in magnitude). If you tune into the tv you get told about lots of things you might not care about - lots of people don’t care about sports, lots of people don’t care about politics, lots of people don’t care about entertainment, etc.

Sure, it’s all very saccharine right now but then news coverage about a well-liked public figure dying always is. If Judi Dench was hit by a bus tomorrow they’d have a little montage of her on the news and you’d be told that she was wonderful and you cared about her too, whether or not you do. It wouldn’t be wall-to-wall coverage in the same way but that’s just because she’s a *lot* less famous than the Queen.

Ok, I haven't studied brainwashing.

It's very weird from the outside. e.g under one of the BBC videos. "Her reign saw the world change dramatically but she remained a constant presence in the lives of the people of the UK and Commonwealth."

Did anyone in the UK and Commonwealth have any choice about that? She was essentially foisted upon them by tradition and told to accept it by the media. It just seems very weird to me in 2022.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Because I wasn't joking about the Cabinet Office mole

So her family were told she was very sick, and stayed put. Then that she’d died, and they stayed put. Then a few hours later waited for an announcement from the Palace before rushing up to Scotland in an RAF jet? Really?

26 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

You think it’s brainwashing to play the national anthem after our head of state dies?

You guys play your national anthem at literally every sporting event ever, don’t you? Including school sport?

Someone will fly a Union Flag soon. 

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Why won't it be a Sunday? The funeral is on the tenth day after the day of death.

The day of national mourning will be the Sunday so no public holiday as such

It's like she died on the perfect day.

It's not like the media to be wrong

Im **** getting married on the 17th !

Â