• Trézéguet
    • Grealish
    • Hourihane (Trézéguet 67)
    • Vassilev (El Ghazi 74)
    • Lansbury (Nakamba 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/20 at 23:59

1 hour ago, Bizzzle said:

Starting to look like we’ve got the old Mings back 

I think Hause makes a big difference  to Mings.....Mings is able to organise , while Hause covers in the air.....this 3 looks solid like Wolves.

• Like 3

Before the game, in the pre match thread.....I hoped we would make it hard for them.

We did......job done.

PS Mings and Nyland terrific, thought Hause & Konsa was steady too.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, smg said:

I haven’t  read much of this thread but need to know which is worse dogshit or horseshit ?

I Need to know so I can comment on future performances. 

It depends.  I think dogshit is predictably awful, not turning up, insipid, resigned.  Horseshit is a little more aggressive.  More of an affront.  Buffoonery, brainlessness, lack of nerves etc.

So do you prefer your Aston Villa predictably shit, or do you want to be surprised by it in new, exciting ways?

As for the game, very encouraging!  But we can't keep saying that...

• Haha 1

Great atmosphere from the away fans! Mings (motm) and Nyland superb. It was the perfect away performance (especially considering we were without a striker)... apart from conceding such a sloppy avoidable goal. The ball probably should’ve been sent long by Konsa but Luiz has to accept blame for it, dwelling on the ball like that. Very frustrating in the end but would’ve taken 1-1 when the line ups came out!

edit: agree that the Konsa song needs to stop 

Edited by chappy

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Another match I didn't catch. Who played up top? 

El Ghazi started as the main central striker with Trez and Grealish either side - Though the goal came from a cross from his more natural position wide. 

He did ok though, worked hard, received a yellow for a late tackle when he was tracking back, got a bloody nose not sure what from and eventually went off (not sure if it was enforced or not).

Vassilev came on for him last 15, not the easiest game for him to come on to but he showed the minimum you would expect in terms of work rate and the experience will have done him good for the future.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Grealish was playing up front tonight.

Nakamba was better than luiz, hourihane and lansbury.

Also worth pointing out that nakamba has better pass accuracy, tackles, interceptions and blocks than mcginn over the season too.

Not saying hes a great, or even particularly good, player, but this season, hes been our best based on defensive measures.

As you asked, he lost posession 9 times tonight, 4 in our defensive 3rd.  Puts him 8th of 15 in the defensive 3rd.

So really seems like you might be scape goating a little tbh.

I also dont understand how you can pin leicesters goal on him.  Luiz, sure, konsa, maybe, but nakamba?  Sorry, but no.

I wasn’t blaming their goal on him. I just remarked that it was naive to lose the ball in exactly the same manner as Luiz did, after he’d just watched it cost us a goal. 

I don’t really care about his stats vs. McGinn over the season as I’m purely talking about how badly he played tonight.

As you’ve brought stats into it, I checked. He made 1 interception, made 4 tackles out of 6 attempted and was dribbled around twice. Meh. So if he lost possession 9 times himself tonight, that’s a net negative in possession of -4.

I actually agree that he’s our best option if we’re playing in a midfield two. I fully believe he needs to start because none of our other midfielders could even register those stats. Ultimately, right now, he’s not good enough on the ball to play in the league yet he’s a guaranteed starter. I just think that’s a worrying place to be in - but the less said about our summer recruitment the better.

• Like 1

Nyland was MOTM for me and magnificent with the shot-stopping however his kicking is rather poor. Shame his clean sheet was ruined by a defensive lapse on Konsa's part.

Mings shows what a valuable player he is to Villa.

Hause is good and dominant but he gave the ball away rather cheaply a few times.

Grealish very good again.

El Ghazi was a constant threat.

Fred Guilbert had a great game too, possibly his best?

After we scored you could tell confidence was coursing through the players and we started to knock it around like 1970s Brazil/2010s Barca for a very short time, cue 'ole's' from the away end. I wish we could have carried that on during the second half but it was always going to be more difficult with Leicester throwing everything forward but it would be nice to start a game like that rather than starting nervy and waiting to see what the oppo are going to do. Aside from that period our ball retention was abysmal although annoyingly enough it improved slightly after their equaliser.

All in all there isn't a Villa fan on the planet who wouldn't have taken a 1-1 before the game and the fact we looked the better team for much of the first half and defended so brilliantly in the second are great positives.

Nyland MOTM by a distance, do we really need to spend money on another GK? That was the most complete goalkeeping display I've seen by a Villa GK for some time.

• Like 2

Good result shame about gifting a sloppy goal away---but that is typical of us this season--

great to see the old Tyrone Mings back---the system seems to suit him--let Konsa and Hause do the marking Tyrone doing the organising and commanding--good to see him barking out the orders last night,

not having a recognised striker did no harm---thought AEL did well,    

though some of our passing was poor at times----

Mings and Nyland were superb--both seemed real gutted to only draw, in the post match interview----this is the attitude we need,

Jack was his usual self ----just wished the header from Konsa was 6 inches lower,  and i thought  Guilbert and Hause had good games,

its all to play for now in the 2nd leg at what will be a packed out Villa Park with a tremendous atmosphere---is there any where better than a semi final under floodlights ?.

Well that was refreshingly decent! Genuinely thought Leicester would have way too much for us with all the injuries and foresaw a heavy defeat in this one but delighted i was wrong. Great result and such a shame Konsa's header wasn't  a couple of inches lower for 2-0. Will still of course be a really tough game at Villa Park and we are by no means there yet but we come back with a chance which is all we could ask!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Would love to see Nakamba’s pass success rate, be shocked if it’s anything over 20%.

Neil Taylor continues to steal a living.

Nyland looked more than capable of being number 1 until the end of the season, at least.

Grealish just head and shoulders above all others, if we could just get two more players on the pitch on his wavelength we’d be unreal.

85% according to whoscored.com

12 hours ago, smg said:

I haven’t  read much of this thread but need to know which is worse dogshit or horseshit ?

I Need to know so I can comment on future performances. 

Horseshit makes excellent fertiliser; dogshit doesn’t - it just sticks to the soles of your shoes.

In the 19th/early 20th century people used to collect horseshit and sell it in sacks. No such industry existed for dogshit. 

So I’m definitely a horseshit kinda guy.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Well that was refreshingly decent! Genuinely thought Leicester would have way too much for us with all the injuries and foresaw a heavy defeat in this one but delighted i was wrong. Great result and such a shame Konsa's header wasn't  a couple of inches lower for 2-0. Will still of course be a really tough game at Villa Park and we are by no means there yet but we come back with a chance which is all we could ask!

I never thought we had it in us....I'll be honest.

I was so encouraged for the rest of the season, showing the qualities to contain a very quick and vibrant side in their own back yard.

I guess the purists, will be less enamered, but for me so pleased.

considering Luiz and Nakamba struggled to keep the ball all the more remarkable.

The back 3 showed they are more than competent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elton said:

Just back from the match. I thought we were excellent. Smith is now being pragmatic and has stopped this going ‘toe to toe’ style which we don’t have the players for yet or at least the defensive cohesion. Generally we defended really well with some sloppy passing our undoing rather than anything Leicester created.

I don’t feel nervous defending corners anymore as Hause just will win everything and if not him Mings or Konsa. I feel a lot more confident about having a good second half of the season with 3 at the back and who needs a centre forward when you can defend!

A word about Leicester’s support, I know why they give them clappers now as their fans can’t generate any atmosphere, which is a shame as they have an excellent team and manager.

I think Hause allows Mings to be his better self.

Mings shows more composure and less hurried  when Hause is in.

If we go back to 4 at the back, Hause would play left back for me.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Hause allows Mings to be his better self.

We certainly seem better with both in the side. I have always believed that every decent team needs a dominant CB in the air. I preferred Mings and Hause last season to Tuanzebe/Mings for this reason. Winning every aerial duel in and around the box is massive and Hause also tries to play too, albeit with the odd stray pass but  he should improve on that too the more he plays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chappy said:

Great atmosphere from the away fans! Mings (motm) and Nyland superb. It was the perfect away performance (especially considering we were without a striker)... apart from conceding such a sloppy avoidable goal. The ball probably should’ve been sent long by Konsa but Luiz has to accept blame for it, dwelling on the ball like that. Very frustrating in the end but would’ve taken 1-1 when the line ups came out!

edit: agree that the Konsa song needs to stop 

I was surprised to hear Deans reaction to it citing Konsa as the culprit...Luiz came for the ball ( almost asking for it)....but he is still young enough to learn to be much stronger on the ball.

8 minutes ago, Elton said:

We certainly seem better with both in the side. I have always believed that every decent team needs a dominant CB in the air. I preferred Mings and Hause last season to Tuanzebe/Mings for this reason. Winning every aerial duel in and around the box is massive and Hause also tries to play too, albeit with the odd stray pass but  he should improve on that too the more he plays.

Totally, agree...I have been saying it for some time.

We look stronger with Hause in the team.

Â