Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As something that would be an unpopular opinion in my mind - who doesn't like motown?

Correct. Probably the first music from my collection that my kids got into. The older daughter especially (now in her mid 30s) has tastes that overlap massively with mine. We go to gigs together and recommend music to each other all the time. There's pretty much no generation gap at all, unlike my relationship with my own parents (who admittedly were older than most, and definitely from the pre-rock era). 

• Like 2

I really like Trump and Tate. I think they are getting unduly criticised because the woke left have tissue paper thin feelings. 

I don't think that. I think the opposite of that. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Correct. Probably the first music from my collection that my kids got into. The older daughter especially (now in her mid 30s) has tastes that overlap massively with mine. We go to gigs together and recommend music to each other all the time. There's pretty much no generation gap at all, unlike my relationship with my own parents (who admittedly were older than most, and definitely from the pre-rock era). 

I always imagined that you used some of the dark arts of behavioural psychology to achieve that, and that you threatened to jump off the shed roof unless they said they loved Pet Sounds.

Can they still recite all the words of Dylan's Tempest by heart? 😆

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I always imagined that you used some of the dark arts of behavioural psychology to achieve that, and that you threatened to jump off the shed roof unless they said they loved Pet Sounds.

Can they still recite all the words of Dylan's Tempest by heart? 😆

Dylan is still a bit outside their tastes. The older one though, would rank her favourites as The Band, the Allman Brothers. Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty and various country, bluegrass and blues acts. Younger daughter started mainly with the Beatles, Beach Boys, Tom Waits and the Clash, but has since moved more into metal. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not so much creepy, but I'm baffled by the curly hair at the sides.

They're locks of hair. Something in an interpretation of the Talmud.

If you ever went to the Spring Fair at the NEC, which was a giftware show, in the jewellery hall there was a enclave of ultra/orthodox Jews.

It's a very Jewish trade. There's lots of skullcaps about generally,  just trading like everyone else.

To many of the ultra orthodox you barely register, and they wouldnit deal with gentiles at all.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

On the whole parent thing I'mI would say I'm still to this day a huge fan of my mom's car music which was mostly motown, non disco bee gees and Abba, good music is just good music I'd say a number of people listen to motown with their parents, that's the one that feels the most timeless and cross generational to me* my dad was working with him listening to heart FM in the 90s and I'd say that leads me to know a ton of songs without necessarily liking them

* As something that would be an unpopular opinion in my mind - who doesn't like motown?

thehorror-horrified.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

thehorror-horrified.gif

I'm not a fan of poppy pop genre if you know what I mean before anyone jumps on the "popular" thing so there's stuff like Waterloo and dancing queen that does nothing for me but there's a chunk of ABBA that's really good like lay all your love on me and SOS

On top of that when I listen to them, even the stuff I don't like, for me they're one of those bands where if you like them or not if its your personal taste or not you can't or at shouldn't be able to say that you don't get them or don't understand why other people like them* I think they're undeniably good at pop music, they're crazy talented and the vast majority of their stuff is really high quality, whether or not that's to your ear is a different thing but I'd say for pop music as a badly defined genre no one touches them, they're the best at it

*my mom's favourite band is actually bay city rollers but she never subjected me to them which is a good thing because they're **** terrible, they're a band where I don't understand their popularity or why her and my aunties all love them so much

• Like 2

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

* As something that would be an unpopular opinion in my mind - who doesn't like motown?

Me. I don’t quite actively dislike it, but most of it either does absolutely nothing for me or starts to get on my nerves. There are some bangers, thought to be fair. Northern soul, similarly.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Dylan is still a bit outside their tastes. The older one though, would rank her favourites as The Band, the Allman Brothers. Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty and various country, bluegrass and blues acts. Younger daughter started mainly with the Beatles, Beach Boys, Tom Waits and the Clash, but has since moved more into metal. 

Anyone who likes Tom Waits gets my vote!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Anyone who likes Tom Waits gets my vote!

The nice thing is that I didn't suggest it, I just gave her the run of my CD collection, and she took random picks. Then came to me and said: "Dad! WHY didn't you tell me about Tom Waits?" 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 01:07, Beastmix said:

I'm the guy. Can't stand motown or, by extension, northern soul.

Neither of these is a genre of music. One is a record label dealing in primarily Soul records (admittedly with a particular production sound) the other is just obscure Soul records they used to play in clubs in pie eating land to punters on amphetamines.

Northern Soul, could easily be Soul Rare Grooves or even Landfill Soul it has no unifying feature apart from shit sales when it was released 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Neither of these is a genre of music. One is a record label dealing in primarily Soul records (admittedly with a particular production sound) the other is just obscure Soul records they used to play in clubs in pie eating land to punters on amphetamines.

Northern Soul, could easily be Soul Rare Grooves or even Landfill Soul it has no unifying feature apart from shit sales when it was released 

The 'northern soul' label has always been confusing, as it refers to dance music popular in clubs in the north of England, not the USA. As I was never familiar with that scene, I tend to mentally categorise the split as being 'north' = principally Detroit area (Motown), and 'south' = Memphis/Muscle Shoals (Stax/Volt/Atlantic). It's a massive oversimplification, but it works for me. 

And (imo) between them, they were responsible for the last great flowering of black American popular music. Your mileage may (will) vary. 

Edited by mjmooney

38 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Didn't say they were.

Ok so you dislike a record label, I can dig that but I don’t understand how you can not like something that has no definition

See you don’t like soul music, I can even understand that.

Northern Soul is about as useful as Britpop as a definition of a type of music. I don’t understand how you can dislike something so nebulous.

I've been kind of tired of music this year overall. So much music just sounds manipulative and grandiose to me, and the stuff that tries to be rootsy or spare or lo-fi just sounds manipulative in its way, too, and like we're just on a nostalgia cycle that never seems to end. What it is now, that "early 2000s" sound? Haha. Never ends. Also, the technology is everywhere, and while it's great that music has been democratized, it turns out that everyone who can make music maybe shouldn't? There's a constant flood of shit.

Just not hearing what strikes me as real innovation that's all that good in terms of songwriting. If something needs to be explained to me ("you need to listen to this because ..."), you know? 

Waiting for better music. And I don't sit around listening to old music, either. It's old. I'm sick of that shit. 

The only stuff I seem to be accepting right now is very simple singer-with-a-guitar or singer-at-a-piano stuff, and that can be shit, too, and often hits me as super derivative. I was genuinely enjoying Gerry Cinnamon for a few years. Kind of over it now. I have found that Scottish indie songwriters seem to have a way of winning me over with my brain wiring, and I do like Taarab from East Africa -- always have. Probably just a phase for me, this "not liking music" thing.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Â