Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

It must be 50 years at least since Paul McCartney wrote a good song.

This is all opinion hence the thread, in my opinion there are some good tracks on Flowers In The Dirt and some excellent tracks on his solo and Wings albums. That Said I also disagree with the comments on Abbey Road, so we are where we are. I think broadly a lot will agree with you though.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Bands that break up/something tragic happens gain on the legend status. 

In my opinion, the Rolling Stones have always been far superior, and they actually stuck together (with some smaller changes) and are still performing. 

If the Beatles carried on and released 40/50 years of crappy music they would not be praised like they are now. 

I don't mind the stones , I've seen them live , but using my iTunes as a benchmark , I have 1 Stones album , a greatest hits one and Gimme Shelter is about the only track I really look for rather than waiting to see what comes up on Shuffle ..  Jumping jack flash is about equivalent to The Frog Chorus in terms of musical output  and that's deemed to be one of their more popular warbling's 

If we use the VT musical taste scale of 0 ( @bickster ) to 10 ( Tonyh29 )  ,  the Stones rate around a 2 and the Beatles a 10 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If the Beatles carried on and released 40/50 years of crappy music they would not be praised like they are now. 

Undeniable. And 90% of the solo stuff they did subsequently varies between average and dreadful. 

The Stones comparison is pointless - they were doing something entirely different. Their best work came after they stopped trying to compete on the same turf as the Beatles, and concentrated on the live rock'n'roll swagger. 

On 15/07/2023 at 08:53, Nigel said:

Golf is one of my big ones, i actually dont mind actually playing the game but watching it is just painful.

We're the complete opposite then. I find it murderously infuriating to play, and will almost definitely never be on a golf course for the rest of my life and extremely happy not to be. Whereas I don't mind having the majors on the telly albeit kinda in the background. I won't watch minor stuff. But the big stuff, yeah.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

We're the complete opposite then. I find it murderously infuriating to play, and will almost definitely never be on a golf course for the rest of my life and extremely happy not to be. Whereas I don't mind having the majors on the telly albeit kinda in the background. I won't watch minor stuff. But the big stuff, yeah.

Kind of like me and football after 40!

49 minutes ago, Risso said:

It must be 50 years at least since Paul McCartney wrote a good song.

It's weird how pop musicians tend to fall off the songwriting cliff once they reach middle age. Tattoo You in 1980 was the Stones last good album, but even that was mostly unfinished tracks off earlier recording sessions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Undeniable. And 90% of the solo stuff they did subsequently varies between average and dreadful. 

The Stones comparison is pointless - they were doing something entirely different. Their best work came after they stopped trying to compete on the same turf as the Beatles, and concentrated on the live rock'n'roll swagger. 

That is because they are/were the better band and actually did fun music - fun bluesy rock and roll rather than soft weak songs.

The comparison will always be there, they were both the early 60s English giant fenomenon going into the hippy era of western culture. 

Funnily enough, Lemmy from Motorhead has always claimed that the Beatles have actually been the tough boys and the real deal. Ozzy has always been of similar opinion. 

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's weird how pop musicians tend to fall off the songwriting cliff once they reach middle age. Tattoo You in 1980 was the Stones last good album, but even that was mostly unfinished tracks off earlier recording sessions.

I wont go down the country music route as there are lots that I feel write great songs well into their middle and old age, but others would not think so but Nick Cave is a great example of middle aged man that produces exceptional music.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Nick Cave is a great example of middle aged man that produces exceptional music.

There are absolutely loads of middle aged / older musicians writing great songs and music - maybe not "pure pop", but popular music.

I mean how old are the Radioheads? or Tom Waits, or (was) Leonard Cohen, or Dave Grohl and Foo Fighters, or...

I think @maqroll just needs turning off and turning back on again 😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I wont go down the country music route as there are lots that I feel write great songs well into their middle and old age, but others would not think so but Nick Cave is a great example of middle aged man that produces exceptionally shit music.

FTFY

Inspired by the 'Things you don't get' thread:

Golf can get in the **** bin.

Rich people **** the environment, commandeering acres and acres of space, driving there in their wankpanzers, so they can have their middle class wankathon, without being reminded of their massive **** privilege. Why don't you just piss through council house letterboxes on your way there?

**** golf and the weedkiller it rode in on.

Crazy golf however, is a thing of wonder and joy, and should be celebrated wherever it pops up its funny little head.

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

You'll see him in your nightmares, you'll see him in your dreams
He'll appear out of nowhere, but he ain't what he seems
You'll see him in your head, on the TV screen
Hey buddy, I'm warning you to turn it off
He's a ghost, he's a god, he's a man, he's a guru
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan
Designed and directed by his red right hand

Shrug Alan Partridge GIF - Shrug Alan Partridge Whatever - Discover & Share  GIFs

Â