Aston Villa in the last decade

Jimzk5

1. MON walking out and subsequently watching the whole Lerner “project” unravel.

2. Paying £75 for a ticket to watch Chelsea beat us 8-0 - nearly £10 per goal.

3. The threatened winding up order from HMRC, leading to the realisation that Xia was an even bigger charlatan than I had suspected.

BTW those premier league win-draw-loss ratios quoted in the OP are actually marginally better than we have achieved so far this season in our first season back.

Sorry abt lack of Xmas cheer. 🎅🤶

• Like 1

This isn't anything other than a personal moment, but in Jan 2014 I was just back in the uk for a couple of weeks in a spell of working abroad. So I went to the Sheffield United at home in the FA cup game. We were inept and lost 2-1. Like the Bradford games we were outplayed by a side and manager a couple of leagues below. "I don't want to be here, I don't know why I'm here, there's no connection, this team is dreadful, directionless and awful" it was like a veil was removed.

Judging by my signature, our failure in the league cup in 2010 which really showed O'Neil's glass ceiling and the "height" from which we were to drop.

The FA Cup-itulation against Arsenal. It was a training run for them and a complete train wreck for us.

Our relegation season in 2016. Agbonlahor overweight. Lescott and his car. Richards. Richardson. Cissokho. NZogbia. Sinclair. Gestede. Sherwood. Garde. It really was the season from hell.

20 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

No I am not having that. Tactics Tim is not even in the top 20 worse things that happened at Villa in the last 10 years. He somehow kept us up (probably more luck than by  judgement) and took us to a FA Cup Final. Ok the final was garbage but beating Liverpool was one of the best things at Villa since 2010, and the two wins versus Albion were massive as well.   He also gave Jack his first proper run in the team and always speaks well of the Villa after he left unlike other former managers. He should have been let go in the summer and we should have got a proper manager in but for a few months he brought more passion and energy to Villa than the five years previous, however misguided his style is/was.

He had a better win percentage than either Mcleish or Lambert- ok that is not saying much but still.

For four or five games, he had us playing some unbelievable football!

Let's be honest - there have been a lot more lows than highs this last decade. I'd argue the 2010s was the worst decade in Villa's history - I wasn't around in the 1970s when we were in the then 3rd division but at least we rebuilt by the end of that decade and managed to win two League Cups. I've never stopped supporting us over the last 10 years but there have been times where I've questioned my sanity! 

Hopefully the next decade will be a lot brighter and the new owners are not the start of another false dawn.

Worst moments in last 10 years:

• Summer 2011 - appointing McLeish (appointment told me everything about our so-called 'ambition'), selling key players and not replacing them
  • December 2012/January 2013 - losing 8-0 to Chelsea, 4-0 to Spurs, then 3-0 to facking Wigan, then losing to League 2 side Bradford in the League Cup semis
  • FA Cup Final 2015 - shambolic performance, totally outplayed, one of the most one-sided finals ever. Even Hull City ran them close the previous season ffs, we just bottled it and capitulated!
  • 2015/16 season - all of it, disaster from start to finish, Sherwood looked a broken man, Garde was thrown under the bus,Black had no ideas. The irony is there are four or five players from that side who've gone on to be quality players that I'd quite like at the club now
  • Summer 2018 - losing the playoff final was bad enough, but the subsequent failure to pay a tax bill, coming so close to going into administration, and thinking we'd have to sell our assets just to survive was torture

Positives were seeing Grealish's rise from our academy and getting promoted with our captain and manager as boyhood fans of the club. But realistically, those positives don't compare to positives from previous decades when we've won cups, got into Europe, won the league, won the European Cup etc. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 2

Mind numbingly atrocious decade of pitiful second rate rubbish which has damaged my love of football, made me question whether the game is rigged and got me to such a state i actually hated Villa Park for a while as for me it was "the theater of misery". Horrid, turgid football under a succession of managers whom i still cannot fathom what was wrong with our various owners in hiring them.

The only good thing is it's nearly over and we are somehow not bankrupt. I remember when teams feared us once upon a time now all i get is patronising " It's hard the Premier League" type comments from swathes of Leicester, Man U, Liverpool and well.... fans of almost any Premier League team actually. It's as though they have all forgotten we used to actually be a big club.

Still it'll make it very sweet if we do reclaim our status one day no?!

• 2 weeks later...

The list is ****** depressing and endless....

June 2011: McLeish appointed as manager

May 2012: Finish 16th in PL

December 2012: losing 8-0 to Chelsea

January 2013: Bradford 3 Aston Villa 1

May 2013: Finish 15th in PL

May 2014: Finish 15th in PL

May 2015: Finished 17th in PL

May 2015: Lose 4-0 to Arsenal in FA Cup Final

June 2015: Signed Micah Richards

September 2015: Signed Lescott

February - April 2016: Longest losing run - 11 games

April 2016: Relegated from PL

May 2016: Club sold to Xia the Fraud.

August 2016 - May 2019 - In the Championship

December 2019: In PL relegation zone

Positives for me:

Christian Benteke, what a player he was.

Fabian Delph (obviously turned into a huge negative).

Jonathan Kodjia in his first season, what an exciting player to watch who injected some much needed positivity to our ranks.

The emergence of a homegrown superstar, probably the best player I've seen play for us in my life.

Two fav seasons were when Sherwood saved us, and last season.

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

This is just appalling... I find it very hard to actually believe.

We were out of the division for 3 seasons plus nearly every season we were in a relegation battle

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

1 - Appointment of McLeish

2 - Appointment of Lambert

3- 2015 FA Cup final....lost 4-0 to Arsenal

The appointment of Lambert was actually fairly popular at the time though, and although there were some really low points in his first season, we did also play some good football. So not sure the appointment (as opposed to where we ended up at the end of his tenure) could really be described as a particular low point.

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The appointment of Lambert was actually fairly popular at the time though, and although there were some really low points in his first season, we did also play some good football. So not sure the appointment (as opposed to where we ended up at the end of his tenure) could really be described as a particular low point.

IMHO those 2 managers were the worst two we have ever had,The way DS is going he could end up a close 3rd

Â