The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

Donations to Each Party from the Electoral Commission 

Political party donations summary

Total donations over £7,500 received by parties during the reporting period from 20 to 26 November:

Party Total
Alliance - Alliance Party of Northern Ireland £15,000
Conservative and Unionist Party £3,590,500
Green Party £100,000
Labour Party £521,909
Liberal Democrats £509,998

Prepare for A LOT of Tory political propaganda over the next week... 

27 minutes ago, colhint said:

Doesn't that exclude Union donations though. If you add on that it's near enough the same

Nope, includes unions as well. Have a look at the list.

Edited by cyrusr

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Huh, I wonder why the Tories got a load of money? A mystery.

The Brexit Party - £3,390,000

Also I can't imagine why a fringe party standing in half the seats, polling at 3% in the polls has received such a large amount of roubles. Sorry, pounds.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Also I can't imagine why a fringe party standing in half the seats, polling at 3% in the polls has received such a large amount of roubles. Sorry, pounds.

Exactly. It's weird. It's almost like they've got rich friends with vested interests in their victory. Almost.

9 minutes ago, colhint said:

But that lists only donations over £7.5K per individual. Public fund donations are where union donations are listed.  If you look at that here 

This is the last quarters list and shows Labour with an extra £2.5m from unions

So as I say the figures are near enough the same.

Yeah, but that list has these figures:

The 15 political parties reported donations including public funds between 1 July and 30 September 2019 were: 

Party Total reported Donations accepted (excl. public funds) Public funds accepted Total accepted
Conservative and Unionist Party £5,805,980  £5,338,696 £424,749 £5,763,445
Co-operative Party £383,800 £383,800 £0 £383,800
English Democrats £19,532 £19,532 £0 £19,532
Green Party £115,839 £77,650 £28,189 £105,839
Labour Party £5,512,406 £2,829,146 £2,646,940 £5,476,086
Liberal Democrats £3,345,220 £2,916,505 £381,496 £3,298,001
Plaid Cymru - The Party of Wales £141,531 £0 £141,531 £141,531
Renew £75,000 £75,000 £0 £75,000
Scottish Green Party £3,041 £0 £3,041 £3,041
Scottish National Party (SNP) £332,662 £130,738 £201,924 £332,662
The Brexit Party £3,390,000 £3,390,000 £0 £3,390,000
The Independent Group for Change £8,332 £8,332 £0 £8,832
The Liberal Party £28,000 £28,000 £0 £28,000
UK Independence Party (UKIP) £168,501 £168,501 £0 £161,501
Women's Equality Party £59,000 £59,000 £0 £59,000
Total £19,388,844 £15,417,900 £3,827,870 £19,245,771

Which is a lot closer I accept, but covers 3 months rather than 1 week before the General Election and also still has Tories out in front. 

Still think my original point remains valid in that given a vast influx of money, it is likely the tories will be out in force. 

Well I am sure you would accept about a 4% difference is a small amount. And I would imagine the unions would probably pay by a standing order. I can't imagine they have someone looking at donations and say we'll send some now, can you. Whereas the Tories go on fundraisers and ask people to donate, which is likely to be more sporadic.

1 hour ago, colhint said:

Well I am sure you would accept about a 4% difference is a small amount. And I would imagine the unions would probably pay by a standing order. I can't imagine they have someone looking at donations and say we'll send some now, can you. Whereas the Tories go on fundraisers and ask people to donate, which is likely to be more sporadic.

Yeah I did concede the small difference, but the point remains the same in that the Tories will be likely spending a lot over the next week on advertising as they have just been given an extra £3,000,000 over all over parties. Facebook is going to become (even more) unbearable.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Well, fair play to old Brillo. Belter of a three minutes.

I wonder if they will book a slot on Wednesday night and empty chair him if he doesn’t show. Ask him all the questions they would and put every quote about every lie he tells.

Might need more than half an hour.

Not necessarily so, I would guess the unions would make a standing order.  And those figures end 30th of September. If the unions pay at the start of the month or at the end , who knows,  I very much doubt they pay quarterly particularly if it was in an election period.  If its at the start of the month you could add an extra £2.6m to labours funds or £1.7m if it's the end.

11 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Yeah I did concede the small difference, but the point remains the same in that the Tories will be likely spending a lot over the next week on advertising as they have just been given an extra £3,000,000 over all over parties. Facebook is going to become (even more) unbearable.

have you got the figures from the week(s) before or the week after or have you just found the one week where the conservatives happened to receive more?

nvm just checked myself.

Week 1 Con 5.6 mil - Lab £218k

Week 2 Con 2.9 mil - Lab £3.5 mil

Looks like the unions are saving their cash for the month long train strikes

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, peterms said:

It's a fact that remainers generally have distinguished between more and less damaging forms of leaving.  There may be some who think that any form of leaving is equally bad as any other so that there is nothing to choose between them, but I suggest there's very few if any who hold that view.

If that is the case, then it follows that there is an upside for them in having the choice between remaining and leaving on a less bad deal, and no downside; unless you think that having an option of a less bad way of leaving might make some people vote for that who would otherwise have not, so that it tips the vote in favour of leaving.  That seems unlikely.

Not so much my opinion, just stating what seems to be rational for people who support remaining.  If the Libdems really have no preference between Johnson's deal and any different arrangement, I'd be interested to hear their reasoning.

Fwiw that describes me.

Leaving the EU means I lose my right to trade and freely move within the EU. So any Leave deal I am opposed to, they are all disastrous.

The Lib Dems flip flopping to be now only in favour of a second referendum just means to me there is no reason* to not vote Labour their policies are a lot better for me and my family.

But stopping the coming Brexit austerity and unemployment is my number 1 priority.

*My distaste for how the Labour party has handled antisemitism is the only real reason I have to not vote for them.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1