Happy Halloween for some reason

useless

There was a Halloween event in Solihull Town Centre today, and it was absolutely rammed.  Don't think I've seen it so busy even at Christmas time. 

This I will allow though 

IMG-20231028-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

When he collected the sweets from the wholesaler, he noticed they were darker than usual so he haggled with confectioner Joseph Neal and saved half a penny per pound. 

Hardacre's failure to question the quality would be a costly mistake - by nightfall the next day, several of his customers were dead. 

Initially, the doctor who saw nine-year-old Elijah Wright in the early hours of Halloween 1858 thought the boy had died from cholera. 

Surgeon John Roberts thought the symptoms - vomiting and convulsions - were consistent with the disease, which had been rife in England. 

An hour later, Joseph Scott's father left their home in Railroad Street to fetch a doctor for his 14-year-old son who was suddenly violently ill. By the time he returned, it was too late. 

Both, it later transpired, had bought sweets from Humbug Billy the day before - but the connection had not yet been made.

Beeb link

As per the rest of the story, fortunately enough I keep my plaster of Paris in a separate cupboard to my arsenic supply.

Once the wife is home from work, I'll be tying the gate closed. 

Never got the big deal with Halloween and I can't have people knocking the door every 5mins as then I'll have the bloody dog barking. 

It's pissing down anyway but I guess some scabs will do anything for a tiny bag of Haribo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Never got the big deal with Halloween and I can't have people knocking the door every 5mins as then I'll have the bloody dog barking. 

It's pissing down anyway but I guess some scabs will do anything for a tiny bag of Haribo. 

Aren't you a load of fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I agree with you. At least with carol singers you get something for your time....but when asked "trick or treat" by some gormless 12 yr old I say "...and ?"....I get eff all back apart from "..erm...dunno..."

Fine for the houses who advertise it; they obviously know that they're in for a load of door knocking and IF the kids stuck to that "rule" then fine but they don't always. The poor old biddies who live alone can do without this "begging".

• Like 2

I grew up mostly in the US, as have my kids, so it's part of our culture and can be lots of fun.  There's a street around the corner from us that's got a reputation for great decorations and participation from residents, and people come from all over to trick or treat there.  The first time I went there with my son years ago I was floored.  The street was buzzing and packed with kids and their parents and you'd run in to kids' classmates and neighbors and friends and it's generally a really fun time.   I thoroughly enjoy it.   With that said, a lot has to do with the neighborhood and we're lucky to have a great one for this sort of thing.  I've lived in places with few or no trick-or -treaters coming by and no decorations and it's all a bit flat.

• Like 1

Walking through Brum city centre about 5pm (mate), there were plenty of the fairer student sex wearing not a lot. Never knew basques and suspenders were Halloween attire

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47rdm02ieyocjv66vss74

• Like 1

Just been out trick or treating with my kid. First Halloween she’s been at mine since 2020 (for obvious reasons, trick or treating that year was her finding sweets hidden around the house). So tonight has been my first Halloween night proper.

It’s been fine, pleasant enough night walk, the weather has held off here. Been to a reasonable amount of houses, now home and handing sweets out to anyone who comes a knocking. So far so good.

• Like 1

Â