Happy Halloween for some reason

useless

On 14/10/2023 at 15:33, luckyeddie said:

Halloween can **** off back to America. Bloody trick or treaters, it's just begging. People are starting to make a big deal of it with decorations going up in September.

I'm too miserable for that shit.

From

When the British came to North America, they brought these traditions with them. The Puritans of New England, who refused to observe any holidays which might be associated with pagan beliefs – including Christmas and Easter – kept the observance of Guy Fawkes Day on 5 November as a reminder of their supposed moral superiority to Catholics. Guy Fawkes continued to be celebrated up until the American Revolution of 1775-1783.

The rituals of Samhain arrived in the United States less than a century later with the displacement of the Irish in 1845-1849, during the potato famine. The Irish, largely Catholic, continued to observe All Hallows' Eve, All Saint's Day, and All Soul's Day along with the practice of "souling" but these festivals by now were infused with folk traditions such as the jack-o'-lantern.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just on BBC news that The UK is expected to spend £1bn on Halloween compared to £680m last year. 

Cost of living is biting. 

Probably led by inflation, not that people are buying more of the shite.

Pumpkins at £8 for example!

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just on BBC news that The UK is expected to spend £1bn on Halloween compared to £680m last year. 

Cost of living is biting. 

Probably for the cost of living thread, but whenever I visit a place like Home Bargains or B&M I am always amazed at the amount of unnecessary crap people buy. And it seems those people don't drive brand new Audi's either.

Weird world. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mic09 said:

Probably for the cost of living thread, but whenever I visit a place like Home Bargains or B&M I am always amazed at the amount of unnecessary crap people buy. And it seems those people don't drive brand new Audi's either.

Weird world. 

Weird trend that seems to have developed. The more people are struggling financially, the more they'll treat themselves as 'they deserve it'.

Wasn't it a record amount spent during the Christmas Covid period?

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Weird trend that seems to have developed. The more people are struggling financially, the more they'll treat themselves as 'they deserve it'.

Wasn't it a record amount spent during the Christmas Covid period?

I wouldn't even call buying plastic pumpkin styled kitchen apron as a 'treat'. It just seems like money down the drain and more crap that will eventually end up in the bin, prior to which it will sit in the shed for the next 3 years. 

Just now, Seat68 said:

I too hate that people spend the money they earned on things that they want. How dare they. 

That's not the point ;) It just seems that people buy lots of unnecessary plastic crap that will end up in the bin in the middle of an apparent cost of living crisis.

No harm in doing so. They can do what they want. Heck, I even have family members doing so. It just seems weird to me. 

Just now, Mic09 said:

That's not the point ;) It just seems that people buy lots of unnecessary plastic crap that will end up in the bin in the middle of an apparent cost of living crisis.

No harm in doing so. They can do what they want. Heck, I even have family members doing so. It just seems weird to me. 

It really does seem the point, a few of you appear to have issues with people buying things that they want. If someone wants to buy plastic crap, as you put it, that is up to them. you could argue that during a cost of living crisis, seeing a football team provides no tangible item and is purely emotion driven, is a horrible waste of money. The plastic crap, which would be significantly cheaper may provide similar joy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

It really does seem the point, a few of you appear to have issues with people buying things that they want. If someone wants to buy plastic crap, as you put it, that is up to them. you could argue that during a cost of living crisis, seeing a football team provides no tangible item and is purely emotion driven, is a horrible waste of money. The plastic crap, which would be significantly cheaper may provide similar joy. 

Absolutely. So does posting on a forum and using up expensive electricity.

I have no issues in people buying a plastic spider that will end up in the bin on November 2nd. To me it just seems like a waste - both in terms of economics and the environmental impact. 

It's a subjective opinion. I fully appreciate people have other opinions and beliefs and they can exercise them as they wish. 

I also referenced expensive audi's - that too seems like a waste to me, but that's my personal take. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I have no issues in people buying a plastic spider that will end up in the bin on November 2nd.

It's like Xmas decorations, people don't throw them away, they keep them and ad to the collection the following year

• Like 1

My daughter, wife and grandson increase the amount of halloween tat each year, the halloween shed is full to bursting. I used to go on but as was pointed out to me, and paraphrased up thread, its our money. Now I let them, it makes them happy. My only job at halloween is ensuring that all of the sweets are laced with drugs.

• Haha 1

Just now, bickster said:

It's like Xmas decorations, people don't throw them away, they keep them and ad to the collection the following year

It would be good to look at some stats on this, but amount of seasonal plastic crap that ends up in bins must be crazy. 

Again, it was always my personal opinion, but the last time I bought Christmas decorations was 10 years ago. I like wooden stuff, you know, that will last a lifetime. 

It may be more expensive as a one off purchase, but I grew up in a house where we still have baubles that my grandparents used. 

But then, a trip to a car boot or some second hand shop will probably be a cheaper option (and again, more long lasting and nicer) than buying a pack of 12 china made decorations for £15 from B&M. 

I am not talking about getting stuff from John Lewis - I am talking about some long term cheap solutions that don't hit your pocket, and don't kill polar bears. 

I just think we live in a crazy commercial world where people just have to buy a new plastic skeleton from Home Bargains for £10 a pop. And do it again the next year.

And again, that's just my personal take. Other views may differ, and I respect them. 

• Like 3

Â