Taking kids to VP

GingerCollins29

My daughter has just turned 2. She obviously doesnt understand the inner complexities of the beautiful game but loves seeing villa on tv. She recognises grealish (gree-wish), mcginn (ginn) and mings (ming) pointing at them and says villa at the tv. She even claps and cheers when we score. How young is too young to start attending games?

What age did you start going or take your own kids, if you have any?

Is the north stand still considered the family stand?

Interested to hear your views

• Like 3

I took my daughter a few months before she turned 3. Whilst she enjoyed it when we scored for the rest of the time I had to give her a phone to keep her entertained.  We sat in the family section.  It was funny when she started shouting come on villa whilst everyone was sitting quietly. 

I personally think around 5 or older the best time to start taking them or once they are able to sit and watch a whole game on tv with you.

I started going aged 3 or 4 in the early 70s. I took my own son when he was 5 for a preseason friendly. Obviously it totally depends on the child, but personally I think 2 is a bit young. She might find the shouting a bit scary, but you know your daughter best.

...and, yes, the North Stand Upper or maybe Trinity Upper would be the best areas to take young children in my opinion.

I think they need to be able to sit and watch a whole match of football at home first.

Also not be intimidated or scared when some loud crazy blokes start shouting at 120 decibels next to them!

Id say 6 years old is a good age.  I took mine for their first match aged 7 and it was perfect!

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

I took my boy to a Hereford FC game when he had just turned 3. He liked it for 20 minutes and then was very bored for the rest. He was also scared when Hereford scored because of the noise (probably about 2000 in the ground).

I wanted to take him to a villa game but realised that hes not ready yet. 

My girl is 6 now and wants me to take her to a game, she wants to come and watch the villa too. Especially now she has her villa shirt. I'm going to take her to a game this season as I think she's a good age. 

I'd say 2 is too young though.

My boy is only 3 months old but I already can't wait to take him to his first game. I'm going to be patient though and wait until he's about 5 or 6 though, I want him to want to be there.

He's already got last season's and this season's kit though. He WILL be a Villan...

My daughter since about 3 years old has been begging me to take her to a Villa game. I've decided to take her to the Burnley game as she will be 4 and I think she could probably last half a game before getting bored. I wouldn't take her but she's so excited about it. I did think about taking her to a womens game but I want her to have the same feeling I did when I first walked into VP. 

• Like 2

Mine are 3 and 5 and I'm dying to get them to a game. 

I want their first taste to be a good memory so my first thought was a preseason friendly in the Sun - bit warmer, cheaper and less boisterous. I

However, I'm going to take them to the women's match at VP on Sunday 8th Sept. 

There's some inflatables, coaching, and facepaints before the game and tickets are £5/£2 so not a lot to lose if they don't fancy it. 

I took my boys to the Villa v Wolves the season before last, one was 4 the other 6 and the 4 year old loved it and the 6 year old was bored and even now the younger one is more likely to sit and watch it with me on tv. I may drag them along with me in the next few weeks. My Dad kept dragging me along when I was their age and I liked Liverpool like my friends at the time (I come from Basingstoke so neither is local) but he soon showed me that not watching a successful team is far more fun 😂

Not convinced my kid will be into football (and frankly I don’t particularly mind if she is) so I’m not in any rush to take her to see a game. 

But if I was, I’d probably wait until she was old enough to remember it. Six or seven years old, maybe. I’d probably pick the lower Holte.

I've got two girls one is seven and has been going since she was 3. The other is 3.5 and has recently been to her first few games. 

My experience is that for the first year or two at that age they aren't really watching/engaging in the game at all but they enjoy the day out, food etc. 

7 year old is now fully into it, proper crush on Mr Grealish and is steadily making her way through purchasing the entire contents of the club shop. 

I took them because they were begging me, I tried it and it worked out well. They dont get scared of the noise and I'm glad I'm indoctrinating them to be part of the next generation of Villa fans. 

For gods sake don't wait until they're old enough to make there own decisions. Nobody in their right mind would choose to follow Villa. 

• Haha 1

I haven’t got kids, so my input is probably irrelevant. But at the ground I see people with their children. The young ones really seem to struggle staying focused for longer than half an hr. I’ve often seen people leave about the hr mark as the children have had enough. My old man wasn’t into football and I begged and begged you to be taken, eventually at 9/10 he succumbed.

took my 4 year old nephew a couple of years back to a pre season game, he hated the noise and wanted to leave straight away

want to try and take him to an U23 match or some games at the harriers to try and break him in gently but my brother is **** useless and makes it hard work 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

took my 4 year old nephew a couple of years back to a pre season game, he hated the noise and wanted to leave straight away

want to try and take him to an U23 match or some games at the harriers to try and break him in gently but my brother is **** useless and makes it hard work 

When I took my daughter my 7 year old niece also came along. She moaned and had a face on her all the way through.  Can’t really have a word the way I would with my own kid either.  Done my head in. 

My daughter is nearly 3 (in October) and doesn't have capacity to sit through a game although will watch bits of it with me/celebrate a goal (much more common last season).

She knows when I'm off to watch the Villa, and will often ask if she can come with me to the stadium (although I don't think she really appreciates where I am going).

She knows the Super John McGinn song though 😂 and instantly recognised a Villa shirt worn by someone when we were at Peppa Pig World last weekend (makes me proud)!

She needs to be 4 years old to become a Cub member so will probably get her one next October and maybe start with a women's/under 23 game where the atmosphere isn't quite so loud (although she is used to me screaming at the TV 🤣).

Edited by NulliSecundus

Â