Taking kids to VP

GingerCollins29

Took my 6 year old niece to the Blackburn game at Villa park last year during our 10 game winning streak. Sat in the upper Doug Ellis.  She watched all of the first half but kinda got bored during half time and started doing her colouring in that she had brought with her and was only half watching but didn’t moan once.  She didn’t understand very much and was constantly asking me questions lol (not that I minded). When we scored and everyone cheered she jumped out of her skin and put her fingers in her ears and I thought she was going to ask to leave but she loved it! She was fascinated by a bloke who kept banging on the metal cladding behind us like a mad man. I was fully expecting her to hate it and want to leave at half time but she loved it and really wants to go again and I want to take her if I can get 2 tickets next to each other in one of the more child friendly stands.  I think 2 would be a bit young but suppose it depends on the kid

I think mine first went about 7ish.  As others have said the noise can be a bit scary, esp if they're not expecting it.  Take plenty of snacks, something for if they get bored (phone, whatever) and keep them warm.  You don't have the same engagement with the match when you're keeping an eye on them as well, but the look on their faces entering the stadium, seeing a goal, singing the chants etc is priceless.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Prince George of Cambridge is six, and his dad's taking him to Villa matches (loved his reaction to the Hourihane goal yesterday). I assume he's under strict instructions not to repeat any of the language he hears in front of his great-gran! 

My daughter hates football on the TV, so 4 years ago asked her if she wanted to come and see a game of "football" at Villa with me cos its different live...... I said the only place to experience it is at the back of the Holte End..... she could not believe the noise, swearing and politically incorrect stuff being said (I think it was the Sunderland 6 - 1 game).........Well she loved the experience and loves going with me to see the Villa when she can :) ...but she is nearly 27 now...it is her DNA.....!....oh and she wears her Grandpa's scarf as well.

To make it clear there is no way would I take a young child on the upper Holte...

Regards to all

Del

Â