Rugby World Cup 2019

mikeyp102

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

yep + offmore and comberton

sladen was the rugby school but that's now gone, not a clue what rugby's like in kiddy anymore

Can you elaborate on Sladen being a Rugby school because from what I remember there was no Rugby team, just football. The closest thing I remember to Rugby was everybody playing tag rugby in P.E.

Someone made a very good point about scholarships. Millfield, a school near my home, used to go as far afield as the Pacific Islands finding talented teenagers to recruit and give full scholarships to.

Mings actually went to Millfield for a few years and is best mates with Jonathan Joseph as a result. I don't think you'd consider either of these as your standard red trouser brigade (as I prefer, rumpy pumpy bloody buggers), but they'd both still hit statistics as privately educated.

What part of the country you're from makes a big difference too as most state schools around me used to play rugby and I know this holds true in Wales too. In the North I imagine a lot play league.

There are definitely still areas of rugby that are heavily weighted towards a certain type of arsehole e.g. I never attend the annual Surveyors' Sevens in Richmond as most attendees are knobs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCU said:

Can you elaborate on Sladen being a Rugby school because from what I remember there was no Rugby team, just football. The closest thing I remember to Rugby was everybody playing tag rugby in P.E.

the king Charles rugby team was made up of >75% kids that went to sladen

the football team was >75% comberton

maybe just an anomaly in my year, I don't know a single kid from comberton that played for carolians, they were all sladen kids, the game Saturday down the station there was a mix that came out to watch it but the "proper" week in week out premiership watching rugby fans all went to sladen

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the king Charles rugby team was made up of >75% kids that went to sladen

the football team was >75% comberton

maybe just an anomaly in my year, I don't know a single kid from comberton that played for carolians, they were all sladen kids, the game Saturday down the station there was a mix that came out to watch it but the "proper" week in week out premiership watching rugby fans all went to sladen

Fair enough, you have about 8 years on me so could have just spiralled out as the years went on.

12 hours ago, tomav84 said:

, as a regular twickenham visitor, there's definitely an element of truth to the post. there is a chasm of difference between those that attend an england rugby match vs the crowd i see at villa park. i wouldn't say it's a small section, but wouldn't call it the majority either. but this is purely those following England, i have no idea what the typical fan from the aviva premiership is like.

I’ve been to a few Avila prem matches. What I thought was interesting was that at all three there was some fighting. Two matches, it was next to nothing, pissed blokes making arses of themselves for roughly 30 seconds and going home with some buttons missing.

At the third game it was an all out bar fight where people steamed in and were hitting anyone and everyone. It was exciting, proper broken tables and chairs. I couldn’t help feeling afterwards that if that had been after a football match there would have been severe consequences.

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve been to a few Avila prem matches. What I thought was interesting was that at all three there was some fighting. Two matches, it was next to nothing, pissed blokes making arses of themselves for roughly 30 seconds and going home with some buttons missing.

At the third game it was an all out bar fight where people steamed in and were hitting anyone and everyone. It was exciting, proper broken tables and chairs. I couldn’t help feeling afterwards that if that had been after a football match there would have been severe consequences.

Gloucester?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep.

Uncanny, have I mentioned it before or do they have a rep?

It's Gloucester. They fight in Gloucester. Sod all to do with sport.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you haven't mentioned/hinted at it.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Indeed. We are always led to believe that there is never any violence at rugby matches, everybody mingles in a friendly and civilised manner, unlike those uncouth soccer yobs. 

My Lad plays rugby. Went to a state school of about 2000 kids. The local rugby team, where he was a player also had 9 of his team mates attend. It came to the national cup. They won the first 3 rounds, all regional. Then drew Newcastle grammar away in the last 132. That's national mind. The school forfeited the match, because they believed the cost would be too much. Minibus, teachers etc. The same week they advertised a school trip to Madrid, to watch real, train and a match. Accompanied by teachers for £700

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Indeed. We are always led to believe that there is never any violence at rugby matches, everybody mingles in a friendly and civilised manner, unlike those uncouth soccer yobs. 

my dad was a senior steward at twickenham for 10+ years, he's got plenty of stories to tell. the england vs wales world cup match 4 years ago turned quite nasty apparently. I've been closer to getting into a fight at rugby than at football (not my fault, honest)...it's certainly got its fair share of arseholes

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

my dad was a senior steward at twickenham for 10+ years, he's got plenty of stories to tell. the england vs wales world cup match 4 years ago turned quite nasty apparently. I've been closer to getting into a fight at rugby than at football (not my fault, honest)...it's certainly got its fair share of arseholes

Living in the doorstep of the stadium as I do, I have to say that the atmosphere there for internationals is nowhere near as "nice" as it used to be. I think 2003 brought an influx of people to the sport that would have previously been put off by the (perceived) elitism of it. There's probably good and bad results from that but the support in England has definitely changed since then. It's odd though that the game has a very different personality in Wales and Scotland. 

All I really know is that if there's a game on at Twix, I'm going out for the day. I refuse to pay £100+ to see any sporting event and those visiting the game are not the people I want to be around. Still occasionally have to stop people parking on my drive and almost always have to spend the following day clearing up the rubbish in the front garden. As if that weren't bad enough, the public urination at bus stops, in bushes etc by England fans just isn't necessary.

Sorry, I know this thread is supposed to be about the RWC but as a Scot, I've long since lost interest. 

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Living in the doorstep of the stadium as I do, I have to say that the atmosphere there for internationals is nowhere near as "nice" as it used to be. I think 2003 brought an influx of people to the sport that would have previously been put off by the (perceived) elitism of it. There's probably good and bad results from that but the support in England has definitely changed since then. It's odd though that the game has a very different personality in Wales and Scotland. 

All I really know is that if there's a game on at Twix, I'm going out for the day. I refuse to pay £100+ to see any sporting event and those visiting the game are not the people I want to be around. Still occasionally have to stop people parking on my drive and almost always have to spend the following day clearing up the rubbish in the front garden. As if that weren't bad enough, the public urination at bus stops, in bushes etc by England fans just isn't necessary.

Sorry, I know this thread is supposed to be about the RWC but as a Scot, I've long since lost interest. 

list your driveway on https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk mate - you'll get £50+ per game for it!

make no mistake, i do still enjoy a day at twickenham. it's a fantastic stadium with not a bad view in the house, and normally some great rugby on show. the prices are ridiculous though and fortunately they seem to have dropped now...they got ridiculous in 2018 where i paid £125 for a cat 2 ticket for eng v wales.

Can’t wait for this game tomorrow. Let’s hope we turn up and nerves don’t get too much for us (we don’t look the individuals to do that, but it’s a final). Will be an interesting encounter, hopefully our back row take control and get us quick ball. 

Come on England!!! 

• Like 2

I’ve been strangely relaxed about this game all week. Maybe because we were so good against the All Blacks and SA have been so underwhelming so far but I’m never usually confident. The nerves have started to kick in tonight, though. It can’t be that straightforward, surely? 

Â