Rugby World Cup 2019

mikeyp102

10 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

What a load of shit. We smashed the kiwis last week and lost to the better team today, hardly bottled it coming second in the world cup. Ridiculous.

I agree to an extent but as I said above, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

SA undoubtedly monstered us. Their forwards were unplayable at times but we looked nervous from the start. We didn’t fire a shot and didn’t even do the basics right. Our scrum half couldn't even pass FFS. Heads dropped and you could tell from the body language after 5 minutes that they were beaten men. 

Also, the semi final and final are obviously different games. An awesome performance in the semi final doesn’t mean that we didn’t bottle it in the final. England rugby team have a history of that sort of thing on the biggest occasions over the past 16 years. 

back from the local rugby club and a little deflated but not down in the dumps. 

The injury to Sinkler early doors played straight into the Springboks hands as it immediately killed off any chance of a quick start.

Fair play to SA, they came with a gameplan and executed it well, dragging us to their speed and keeping it tight within the pack. 

As for Garces - I knew he'd be an issue. He was very quick to penalise England but we can and should've been more savvy to him. 

I'm still in disbelief over their first try not being disallowed for at least one forward pass in the build up.... but those are the breaks. 

21 minutes ago, JB said:

I agree to an extent but as I said above, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

SA undoubtedly monstered us. Their forwards were unplayable at times but we looked nervous from the start. We didn’t fire a shot and didn’t even do the basics right. Our scrum half couldn't even pass FFS. Heads dropped and you could tell from the body language after 5 minutes that they were beaten men. 

Also, the semi final and final are obviously different games. An awesome performance in the semi final doesn’t mean that we didn’t bottle it in the final. England rugby team have a history of that sort of thing on the biggest occasions over the past 16 years. 

I think it's more to do with peoples negative outlook and a society where if you win you are the best thing ever and if you lose then you are piece of crap. Its a ridiculous mentality.

We are very very good at Rugby. As we are at cricket. We are good at football. We are good at producing f1 drivers. Athletics and Olympics and more. But because we dont win everything 100% of the time we are a nation of bottlers? Nah, dont buy it for a second. But it's easier to just be tiringly nasty and eye rollingly predictably negative all the time consistently for over a decade on a Villa forum I guess.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I think it's more to do with peoples negative outlook and a society where if you win you are the best thing ever and if you lose then you are piece of crap. Its a ridiculous mentality.

We are very very good at Rugby. As we are at cricket. We are good at football. We are good at producing f1 drivers. Athletics and Olympics and more. But because we dont win everything 100% of the time we are a nation of bottlers? Nah, dont buy it for a second. But it's easier to just be tiringly nasty and eye rollingly predictably negative all the time consistently for over a decade on a Villa forum I guess.

I'm not British, so apologies for a bit of a blanket statement, but you are not a nation of bottlers. You have some of the most successful athletes, a strong economy, rich citizens, great music, incredible history, the list is endless.

You are simply a nation of moaners :)

Edited by Mic09
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As a Welshman....................it’s kinda funny.

Sorry ;)

Which reminds me, we may have lost the final but at least we weren't the Welsh. 😃

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I agree with you but I’m not sure that’s true in this instance. 

I think that England definitely lost the psychological battle in this game. They were incredibly nervous and the occasion got the better of them. I agree that ‘bottlers’ is a very harsh label and it’s not one that I think I’d go as far as using on this occasion but there were aspects of that performance that made it a textbook example. If we’d been more competitive then the reaction would be a lot more sympathetic.

As I said before, England rugby has form in falling at the final hurdle with a whimper over the past 16 years.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I'm not British, so apologies for a bit of a blanket statement, but you are not a nation of bottlers. You have some of the most successful athletes, a strong economy, rich citizens, great music, incredible history, the list is endless.

You are simply a nation of moaners :)

And within that nation of moaners, nobody moans more than us Brummies

• Like 1

Entire Welsh rugby club dresses in South Africa kit and goes wild as England lose

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/everyone-alun-wyn-jones-rugby-17189524

Shared by a work colleague on Facebook (yes, it was my mistake going on there).

Pathetic words removed. Makes it all the more gutting that they’re getting so much pleasure from this. 

I’ve got to go to work on Monday and be surrounded by people who’ve done similar, sharing Springbok gifs, changing profile pictures etc. and will be as happy as if they’d actually won the World Cup. 

Sub-SHA level. 

At the risk of (unintentionally) upsetting some on here, i have to say it's the arrogance of some english sports fans that puts the backs up of other countries. Ask any scottish football fan if they've ever been on the end of english piss taking. I've been verbally hammered in Paris at the 2007 rugby world cup simply for wearing my irish shirt the day after we lost to france. "Ooh bad luck paddy...now back to the tarmac for you begorrah !" was one memorable comment made by a middle aged home counties idiot, right in my face. 

The point is there is good and bad everywhere and if someone dishes it out then they have to take it too.

9 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

At the risk of (unintentionally) upsetting some on here, i have to say it's the arrogance of some english sports fans that puts the backs up of other countries. Ask any scottish football fan if they've ever been on the end of english piss taking. I've been verbally hammered in Paris at the 2007 rugby world cup simply for wearing my irish shirt the day after we lost to france. "Ooh bad luck paddy...now back to the tarmac for you begorrah !" was one memorable comment made by a middle aged home counties idiot, right in my face. 

The point is there is good and bad everywhere and if someone dishes it out then they have to take it too.

There will always be arrogant fans on either side. Some English were loving the fact the Welsh lost last week and some of the Welsh fans have had their revenge today. All part of the bantz! 

What is sad is that people that take it too far... like the Welsh club dressing in South African jerseys. Wearing the colours of the team that knocked you out. How small time is that?! I'd say the same if it was English fans doing it. Same level as those small heath fans who took the Villa coffin to the ground! 

As for the game, well, we were stuffed. Better team won. No argument there. Well done South Africa

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Ah see, that’s what’s a lot of people say - “An English person was a word removed to me once - it’s just banter”.

Yes, there are undoubtedly proportionately just as many English dick heads but there’s not the obsession that there is with a lot of Welsh people. It’s not banter - it’s almost a belief system. There’s a genuine dislike for the English and the pleasure they derive from our failure is ridiculous.

I’ve lived in Wales for years now and I’ve seen some shit. Stuff like the story I posted above is not uncommon. The dynamic between SHA/Villa is a decent comparison (only without the huge disparity in achievement). 

It’s stoked by infantile tabloid shit like Wales Online which always has stories about England being baddies on there. It’s front page after the match today had three stories about England on there - one about England not wearing their silver medals and another about Sports Direct printing World Cup winner t-shirts.

Genuine apologies if this sounds patronising, but you can’t really understand it until you’ve seen it first hand or when you only have my clumsy attempts at explaining it.

All of the sound Welsh people I know (the majority) find it embarrassing but, just as is the case everywhere, the average person on the street is a moron.

Anyway, I’ve now got the Villa result to compound my depression!

• Like 2

@JB....oh i definitely understand it and have experienced it first hand more times than i care to remember in my 54 yrs on this planet and my late parents more so especially after the pub bombings. I doubt very much you can teach or tell me anything on that score. 

You don't think there isn't an english equivalent of Wales Online ? The Sun perhaps ?

Look.....i get it....the last thing you want to see or hear is piss taking from others when your team has just lost. I work in tamworth so all the glory hunting scousers from wilnecote, coton green, nuneaton and the like will be a ball ache on monday.

Some folk (of every race) take stuff too far not just in sport, so we agree on that. As i said, good and bad everywhere. 

6 hours ago, JB said:

Some Welsh already being words removed on social media, as if they’ve won the World Cup. SHA levels of obsessed. 

I’m guessing you were being ironic about the obsession?

I’m not in the slightest bit interested in rugby, rugby from any club or nation. So imagine my irritation at last night’s UK BBC News giving the first 15 minutes over to how and where England would celebrate a win and would the crowds be the same size as last time and how it would transform the players and be a turning point for grass roots game. I’d have been just as annoyed if it had been 15 minutes presuming a Scottish netball World Cup win. For that reason, and that reason alone, I had a little grin when I just (10 minutes ago), saw the result. It’s the impression of arrogance, when observed from the outside, you can see it in the Welsh. Now, take that idea, and imagine me, every time you post something.

Sometimes, you have to see the glove on the other foot. I can see how losing can be a sore event, I support Aston Villa so I’ve experienced it a bit myself. But you do come over as a little obsessed with the Welsh being obsessed.

Relax, it’s a game, and shit one at that.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Now, take that idea, and imagine me, every time you post something.

Sorry, you’ll have to run that by me again. I don’t quite get what you mean. 

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

But you do come over as a little obsessed with the Welsh being obsessed.

Fair enough, you might have a point there. Maybe I am a bit. I’ll hold my hands up and say that it’s one of those things that pisses me off more than it should. It’s ground me down a bit over the years of living here.

Â