Rugby World Cup 2019

mikeyp102

6 minutes ago, JB said:

This is a grim, grim watch. Not going to convert any non-rugby fans. 

I'm quite enjoying it!

I'd never watched a rugy match until this tournament, but I've been watching quite a few matches. Still hardly have a clue what's going on, to be fair, but I've been enjoying watching this more than watching PL players rolling around every game.

• Like 2

It was just as I thought, I gritty gnarly game that I didn’t see Wales winning.

South Africa are playing throwback Rugby, it’s like the late '80s early 90's shitty England sides that played dull but effective uninspiring rugby

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

It was just as I thought, I gritty gnarly game that I didn’t see Wales winning.

South Africa are playing throwback Rugby, it’s like the late '80s early 90's shitty England sides that played dull but effective uninspiring rugby

Wales weren’t any better. They’ve won ugly for quite some time now. That can only get you so far. 

• Like 2

Next week is going to so different. Two differing styles going head to head. If fit I think England will stick to the same team as yesterday, the ford Farrell combo will look to pull SA open, so that our mobile back row will have hen exploit the spaces

Whilst I admire the work and team ethic Wales muster, I don’t like their brand of rugby.

also think they are one of the luckiest teams in recent years, with opposition gifting games away, getting the right bounces and continually getting away with multiple infringements at the breakdown. 

• Like 1

In fact, I love that. Criticises the style of rugby played by the opposition that beats them and also works a dig at the English in there! That is the archetypal Welsh rugby fan post 😂.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Whilst I admire the work and team ethic Wales muster, I don’t like their brand of rugby.

also think they are one of the luckiest teams in recent years, with opposition gifting games away, getting the right bounces and continually getting away with multiple infringements at the breakdown. 

I agree, it was much better a few seasons back, they don't seem to have the players to play an expansive game right now

• Like 1

One of my Welsh mates just hit the nail on the head in our WhatsApp group. Barring a few obvious exceptions,  this is a Welsh team of relatively limited individuals who’ve been successful thanks to grit, spirit, great coaching and an ability to follow a game plan to the letter. (I’d add rugby nous to that.)

Ironically, it’s that same coaching that held them back today by seemingly being more concerned about not losing rather than going out and having a go at the Boks. 

Be interesting to see how things go under the new coaching team. Pivac/Jones had the Scarlets playing some of the best rugby in Europe at one point. 

• Like 2

England could be lulled into a very dangerous mindset if they listen to the media who basically think they just have to turn up to win. SA can match them physically, we know that. It's the fact that they've not brought that real high octane line speed, physicality and quick ruck ball for more than 20 minutes in the tournament against New Zealand. One off runners won't beat England either.

Had a few reserves playing didn't they? I haven't followed it much but certainly the likes of Barry John, Gareth Davies etc wouldn't like style of the Welsh game now. Lots of kicking not much running rugby. Think England will beat South Africa quite easily. 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve always enjoyed Rugby Union international, but not Rugby Union club football . Rugby League is the opposite. I enjoy the club football, but not Rugby League international. 

random winona ryder GIF

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve always enjoyed Rugby Union international, but not Rugby Union club football . Rugby League is the opposite. I enjoy the club football, but not Rugby League international. 

Rugby League is a bloody dull game in the main. Rugby for small town England simpletons

Look where it's traditionally played... it's like an A-Z of towns full of people with inbred disabilities, 6 fingers here, webbed feet there

The game has no finesse whatsoever

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

Rugby League is a bloody dull game in the main. Rugby for small town England simpletons

Look where it's traditionally played... it's like an A-Z of towns full of people with inbred disabilities, 6 fingers here, webbed feet there

Rugby League is entertaining , but so much more simple than Union I will admit. Overall it’s a proper mans game. It makes footballers and football in general rather embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

For 13 years I lived five minutes' walk away from Leeds Rhinos' Headingley ground. Could see the floodlights from our house. Never went once. 

EDIT: On the other hand, I'm merely indifferent to League. It is at least a working class sport. Whereas Union nauseates me, with its ghastly middle class smugness, childish drinking rituals, old boy networking and all the rest of it. I was made to play it at grammar school, and I hated it. Daily Express sport. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Â