Leighton Phillips

andrew phillips

@TRO to the niche thread, can we have @TRO to the niche thread. Thank you.

Other than affirming he was captain sometime in the 70's and thinking he won the League Cup with us in the Brian Little finals (3) against Everton in '77 it's a bit before my time.

Tro (and plenty others I know!) will be all over the chance to talk about the days of Cropley and Gray and Little :D

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Haha 1

If my memory is correct he once smashed Jimmy Greenhoff right in the mush when we played Man Yure

Edited by rjw63
  • Haha 2

I was at St Andrews in about 1975 when he got sent off for giving the Ref the “ V” sign 😂😂..

I remember my Dad moaning blind about him for about half a Season, then suddenly he became this wonderful sweeper style defender....he was actually a very intelligent player and, as I look back now, woukdve fitted in the modern game very well..... so many defenders were all about size whereas he had ability.

Also my Dad told me that when I got his autograph I didn’t shut up about how strange he sounded !! I think the only other Welsh accent I’d heard then was a guy in Porridge.

Thats all I have....and it may be wholly inaccurate as regards his playing ability, but that’s how he is in my head .

• Thanks 1

Can't help with any memories but there was an article/Q&A on the main club website a couple of years back that you may or may not have seen.

There is also a pile of stuff on ebay. If you just search his name on ebay.co.uk you will see 100 or so different bits of memorabilia (stickers/cards,photos, signatures etc)

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2015/07/04/villa-on-the-spot-leighton-phillips-qa

xn1tfjO.jpg

Defender Leighton Phillips was something of an unsung Villa hero - but his uncanny reading of the game was beyond question.

The Wales international was also a versatile footballer, playing in eight different positions during the course of his 18-year career.

Signed from Cardiff City for £100,000 in September 1974, Phillips won promotion in his first season at Villa Park.

And although he missed the 1975 League Cup run because he was cup-tied, he was a member of the triumphant 1977 team.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was quite relieved when I read your post as I thought, oh dear has he passed away. Hopefully he’s still alive and enjoying a long retirement.

He was known as Blod amongst the players, I assume shortened from Blodwyn since he was Welsh. I mainly remember him being a sweeper, and being part of s great defence with Alun Evans. I was at the 75 and 77 League Cup Finals and of course that wonderful night when we demolished Liverpool in 45 minutes. I still don’t think I’ve seen a better half of football. 

Good luck with your research. I’m sure those Villa fans even older than me will have plenty of stories for you.

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

Afternoon Andy

Leighton's career can me found on the below link:

Aston Villa Player Database

Birthdate: 1949-09-25 in Briton Ferry (near Swansea), Wales

Position: Defender/Utility

Playing for Villa: 18 September 1974 - 8 November 1978

Previous clubs: Bryn Hyfred Junior & Cort Sart Secondary Schools (Briton Ferry), Neath Area Schools, Neath Under-12s, Cardiff City

Signed: £100.000 - From Cardiff City

Sold: £70.000 - To Swansea City

League: 134 (6) matches - 4 goals

FA Cup: 7 matches - 0 goals

League Cup: 17 (1) matches - 0 goals

European Cups: 10 matches - 0 goals

International: Wales A (1971-82, 58 - 0 goals), U23 (1971-75, 5 caps), U21 (1979-83, 2 caps), Schoolboys

From time to time I pop in the archives at Birmingham Library. I can probably get newspaper reports for the matches he played in. They won't be of the highest quality, but will be readable.

If you're interested just shout and I'll see what I can do.

• Like 2

Played alongside Chris Nicholl. Nicholl was the Jack Charlton, and Leighton the Bobby Moore kind of player, if you like. One of my favourite players in my formative years, tend to remember he had a bit of a nasty side to him, seemed to remember him having a confrontation with Burns in the one Derby

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

@TRO to the niche thread, can we have @TRO to the niche thread. Thank you.

Other than affirming he was captain sometime in the 70's and thinking he won the League Cup with us in the Brian Little finals (3) against Everton in '77 it's a bit before my time.

Tro (and plenty others I know!) will be all over the chance to talk about the days of Cropley and Gray and Little :D

Well, Andy was my friend, we used to meet up at least once a week for years.....Subsequently I met Alex and Brian many,many times.

we had a social group called the " Box of Toys".....Andy would remember them with fond memories.

I could write a book.

back on topic.....Leighton Was a Centre Back, a bit on the light side for me, I like units......but he was a good steady player.I remember the 5-1 against Liverpool, it was a hammering against arguably the best team in Europe, I Remember Emlyn Hughes throwing his arms up to Kevin Keegan after we scored the fifth....We was Awesome.....My Mrs won a portable TV on the raffle at the Aston Social that night, some night for me.

I would remember Leighton Phillips fondly, good all round player that was steadfast in his tackling and would never be intimidated......you should be proud of him.

Ps The 1977 team was possibly the best Villa team I ever saw for swashbuckling football ....a young team ( oh are we embarking on something now) who had no fear and put teams to the sword with ease, he was a member of a great team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Well, Andy was my friend, we used to meet up at least once a week for years.....Subsequently I met Alex and Brian many,many times.

we had a social group called the " Box of Toys".....Andy would remember them with fond memories.

I could write a book.

back on topic.....Leighton Was a Centre Back, a bit on the light side for me, I like units......but he was a good steady player.I remember the 5-1 against Liverpool, it was a hammering against arguably the best team in Europe, I Remember Emlyn Hughes throwing his arms up to Kevin Keegan after we scored the fifth....We was Awesome.....My Mrs won a portable TV on the raffle at the Aston Social that night, some night for me.

I would remember Leighton Phillips fondly, good all round player that was steadfast in his tackling and would never be intimidated......you should be proud of him.

Ps The 1977 team was possibly the best Villa team I ever saw for swashbuckling football ....a young team ( oh are we embarking on something now) who had no fear and put teams to the sword with ease, he was a member of a great team.

Totally agree - I would also add that he appeared to be a very modest and underrated footballer - very calm and went about his job in the most efficient manner.

i remember whenever I was picked to play in the school back four - I used to imagine I was Leighton 😀

• Like 1

Signed by Saunders to get us back up to the top tier. Did a very good job for us. Was a good footballer, not just a clogger. Like others I have great memories of that team of the seventies. probably the most entertaining team I ever watched at VP. Saunders then moved on to build another great team, the rest is history. Your Uncles place in the dramatic rise of Aston Villa is there for all time. You should be proud of him.

• Like 2

I had a lot of time for him. Leighton was a reliable defender with a touch of class about him. If Ron Saunders signed you for Villa back then, it said something about you as a footballer. 

I will always remember a particularly witty banner at the 1977 League Cup Final that read "Leighton Phillips simply years ahead" which was based on an advertising slogan for the electrical company back then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Signed by Saunders to get us back up to the top tier. Did a very good job for us. Was a good footballer, not just a clogger. Like others I have great memories of that team of the seventies. probably the most entertaining team I ever watched at VP. Saunders then moved on to build another great team, the rest is history. Your Uncles place in the dramatic rise of Aston Villa is there for all time. You should be proud of him.

Top post - meregreen, thanks for this.

21 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I was quite relieved when I read your post as I thought, oh dear has he passed away. Hopefully he’s still alive and enjoying a long retirement.

He was known as Blod amongst the players, I assume shortened from Blodwyn since he was Welsh. I mainly remember him being a sweeper, and being part of s great defence with Alun Evans. I was at the 75 and 77 League Cup Finals and of course that wonderful night when we demolished Liverpool in 45 minutes. I still don’t think I’ve seen a better half of football. 

Good luck with your research. I’m sure those Villa fans even older than me will have plenty of stories for you.

Actually it was Chris Nichol he played with at the back. I must be getting old!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

I could write a book.

Write the book - do it- I'd buy it for sure - complimentary signing though TRO - just saying 😀

Â