Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

I think they just pumped in a load of money and bought a lot of top players all at the same time. Their first game in the Championship they beat us 12-0, looking at their team that day, they had: Amy Turner now at Spurs, Millie Turner still at Man Utd and England player, Kirsty Smith now at West Ham and Scotland international, Kirsty Hanson still a Man Utd player, currently on loan to us and one of the best attackers in the league this season, Katie Zelem still with them and their captain, also England international, Lauren James at Chelsea and considered one of the best players in the world, Leah Galton still with them now, Ella Toone still with them now and England international That season they scored 98 goals in 20 games and conceded just 7, we weren't even that bad defensively that season, those 12 goals conceded to Man Utd made up more than 25 percent of our goals conceded for the whole season, two of the players that played in that defeat are actually still technically with us now, Sian Rogers and Elisha N’Dow but both out on loan currently and probably a good chance will leave in the summer.All that was before they were even promoted to WSL, but they haven't actually finished above fourth yet or won a trophy. Also I imagine what helped Man Utd bring in a load of top players all at once is that they were a completely new team, so they didn't have to worry about the players they already had, becasue they didn't have any, whereas whilst we've only been professionals ince NSWE takeover we still areadly had an existing team and players, so couldn't just discard them all in one go. But compared to most clubs we've advanced things very quickly, first season in WSL we brought in the likes of Mana Iwabuchi, Ramona Petzelberger, Anita Asante, and Freya Gregory, amongst others to help us survive, second season Alisha Lehmann, Sarah Mayling, Maz Pacheco, Hannah Hampton, Laura Blindkilde, Jill Scott, Rachel Corsie, and Anna Patten came in, and this season Daly, Dali, Nobbs, Staniforth, Turner, and so on. And I'm sure we will advance things further in the summer.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, colhint said:

Three Villa players in the England squad

No Pacheco though 🤷‍♂️

This was the only problem I had with Weigman as Netherlands boss, she did seem to stick to her core group of players, which is brilliant for team cohesion but leaves you in a position where there is a gap between the current group of players and the next generation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Bought tickets for me and the little lady to go to the match at Bescot on Sunday. She's still buzzing from the weekend so I want to keep that going. I do keep warning her that we might not win this one, though!

Can't believe they still haven't put the Chelsea Semi Final of The FA Cup tickets on sale yet, 

Its only 2 weeks on Sunday for arguably there biggest game of the season! 

Pacheco and Turner both unlucky not to be in England squad, both have been outstanding this season.

I noticed the squad has four goalkeepers, two of them from Man City, one of which, Sandy MacIver, has only played in three WSL games this season, so not sure what the point of that is, could have left one of those out, and made room for another outfield player.

Still good to have three players in there though, and good sign that there's reasonable arguments for two or three of our other players too.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2023 at 23:19, NurembergVillan said:

There were some tears when Alisha was whisked off by security, and not only from me!

Have one of the ladies on The Kit Breakdown and review the women's range of kits?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Maybe posted before but I’m not at all comfortable with the BBC purely speculating on hampton’s personal issues being attitude related. 

I don’t think it’s wide of the mark tbf. She was dropped by us too, but fair play to her for letting the football do the talking and regaining her place for club and country.

Hampton came out of our team because she had a muscle injury, she even posted pictures on social media after her operation, whilst she was out Anna Leat did exceptionally well, so much so that we didn't really miss Hampton that much, or maybe not anywhere near as much as we might have feared, and bearing in mind Hampton is out of contract end of the season, made sense to give Leat more game time even when Hampton was fit again, as she might be our permanent first choice next season, have to try and keep them both happy as possible, probably should be said that when Hampton was on the bench she never seemed bitter, as always saw her celebrating with the players and Leat after games.

But Hampton eventually came back in and has been brilliant since and has been getting constant praise from Ward.

I think there's possibly more to the story, but not anything to do with a bad attitude, that's just some people and press jumping to conclusions, 'personal issues' could be anything.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, useless said:

Hampton came out of our team because she had a muscle injury, she even posted pictures on social media after her operation, whilst she was out Anna Leat did exceptionally well, so much so that we didn't really miss Hampton that much, or maybe not anywhere near as much as we might have feared, and bearing in mind Hampton is out of contract end of the season, made sense to give Leat more game time even when Hampton was fit again, as she might be our permanent first choice next season, have to try and keep them both happy as possible, probably should be said that when Hampton was on the bench she never seemed bitter, as always saw her celebrating with the players and Leat after games.

But Hampton eventually came back in and has been brilliant since and has been getting constant praise from Ward.

I think there's possibly more to the story, but not anything to do with a bad attitude, that's just some people and press jumping to conclusions, 'personal issues' could be anything.

If I was to do my own speculation (yes I know I criticised the BBC for doing the same) I would assume a medical issue relating to a personal matter. Leah Williamson recently came out and spoke about personal medical issues affecting only women (like endometriosis for example) but it's not appropriate at all for the BBC to mention attitude issues when that was never even implied by HH, Sarina W or Villa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

If I was to do my own speculation (yes I know I criticised the BBC for doing the same) I would assume a medical issue relating to a personal matter. Leah Williamson recently came out and spoke about personal medical issues affecting only women (like endometriosis for example) but it's not appropriate at all for the BBC to mention attitude issues when that was never even implied by HH, Sarina W or Villa.

Well SW said things along the lines of 'Its unlikely she'll play for England again while I'm here' which probably led to those theories 

Â