Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

2-0 down and causing all of our own problems. We must have given the ball away on the edge of our 18 yard box at least 4 times already. Still a huge gap between us and the best. 

This was always going to be an incredibly difficult game and no question whatsoever beforehand that they're way ahead of us, we've overachieved and they've underachieved by their standards, but will still probably win the league and FA Cup. One of those games where just need to get it out of the way and move on to the next.

Finished 3-0, was hoping we could have kept the scoreline closer than that, but Chelsea that good that it could have been worse, by which I don't mean based on the game today, but based on what Chelsea are capable of in general.

Just have to move on, Chelsea capable of doing that to every team in the league and most in Europe, still having a brilliant seaon,.

On 12/08/2022 at 17:49, useless said:

I'd expect us to finish above Leicester, Reading, and Liverpool, and given we finished above Everton last season will probably have a good chance of doing so again, we were only six points off a top six finish last season and were incredibly unlucky in games in the second half of the season, they were dominating teams, just couldn't score often enough, for me midtable, or a top eight finsh should very much be the aim, shouldn't be anywhere near relegation.

After West Ham and Liverpool drawing today we're almost guaranteed top six, for West Ham to finish above us they would have to win all their remaining games and hope we lose all ours, Liverpool have a game in hand so would have to hope we would lose all our and that they win five of theirs, none of that is happening so top six pretty much confirmed, which might not seem a big deal now, but relative to what was being talked about at the start of season is a big achievement, especially as all but confirmed with five games still left to play.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

In a strange way I actually think today's defeat gives us a better chance of winning the semi-final, Chelsea will still be clear favorites obviously and capable of thrashing us, but always felt it was incredibly unlikey we would get two results against them especially considering the games come back to back, but maybe we could win one of the games, well now we've got one of those defeats out of the way, and defeat today should give the players extra incentive to try and put in a better performance in next game.

Our girls have done very well playing open football, but when you come up against a team on another level, like Chelsea, its a different ball game.

Chelsea girls press and deny you any passing moves, they close down and stifle any progression....they are very combative and competitive.

Our U16 girls have gone to Madrid to take part in the U17 Madrid Cup, we're in a group with Madrid CFF, Ado Den Haag, and Atlético Madrid, first game is with Atlético tomorrow. Real Madrid and Barcelona are in the other group, some big teams involved, even Madrid CFF have a very good senior women's team by the looks of it, fifth in Primera, only Barcelona, Levante, and two Madrid clubs above them.

I'm guessing the opposition will be very strong, but should be a good experience for our players whatever happens in terms of results, the U13s, and U14s, are also taking part in their age groups.

Our academy sides getting a lot of experience playing opposition from different leagues over the last week or so, U16s and U15s boys have played teams from Greece and Egypt, U14s teams from Gernany and Holland, now the girl age groups in Madrid playing teams from Spain and Holland

• Like 1

It's long been rumoured that the top sides are trying to sign her, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea have all been linked, I'm hoping the fact that we're involving her as much as we are is a sign that she's already agreed to sign a deal with us, if she has agreed then the only reason she hasn't signed yet is because she can't sign professional terms until she turns eighteen at the end of this month.

England U23 beat Portugal 3-2, Anna Patten, Laura Blindkilde Brown, and Freya Gregory all started.

Blindkilde scored one of the goals, equalizing the 88th minute before England scored a winner in injury time.

Sounds like Blindkilde Brown played her part in the winning goal as well 'Brown did well on the breakaway and Missy Goodwin ended up being brought down in the penalty area'.

Edited by useless

3 hours ago, thejoker said:

This seems like a terrible rule. If she goes to Man Utd we get no compensation, so a complete waste of time developing her. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

It's long been rumoured that the top sides are trying to sign her, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea have all been linked, I'm hoping the fact that we're involving her as much as we are is a sign that she's already agreed to sign a deal with us, if she has agreed then the only reason she hasn't signed yet is because she can't sign professional terms until she turns eighteen at the end of this month.

It's a ridiculous situation/rule and shows this is an area of the woman's game that's not caught up with the men.

Let's hope she's agreed something. If so i would expect the club to come out fairly quickly and say as such.

Once again, it just smacks of the so called big clubs just doing what they want and maybe seeing us as a threat in the future try to stop out progress.

Just makes me hate Manure and Chelsea even more  

The trouble is far as I'm aware it's rare in women's football that there's ever a transfer fee involved when players move clubs, so if clubs started getting compensation for academy players lost then those players would end up costing more than most senior players.

I think that there's a good chance that she's already agreed a deal and she will be staying with us, I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, but if she has it's doubtful that anything will be announced until April 28th or after, same with the mens' academy players signing professional deals, there is never an announcement until the player has turned seventeed and has officially signed the deal.

Also we ourselves are very much guilty of raiding other club's academies, Laura Blindkilde, Freya Gregory, Oliva McLoughlin, Evie and Olivia Rabjohn, all came from small heath, at the time they probably had one of the best academies in the country, and once we decided to take our women's team more seriously we just took all their best academy players as well as the head of their academy Cristina Torkildsen.

I just looked at the list of our current U21 players on FA website and notice a new name, Louise Apuusi-Tchassem, a web search shows that she came from small heath, so it's still going on now; we've taken young prospects from other local teams and further afield too, Alice Kietly who made her debut recently came from Wolves, Georgia Mullett as well as a number of others came from West Brom, Megan Shaw came from Leicester, again along with a few of their other players.

All that's not to say I won't be dissappointed if we lose Evie Rabjohn, just that it happens and we do it to other clubs ourselves, I've been wondering if we might take Lucy Newell off West Brom, sixteen, already playing for their first team and playing for England U17s, if she's England youth quality probably going to have to move at some point as will be too good for the level that West Brom play at, they're below Fylde in the table.

Edited by useless

Â