Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Not sure if anyone has seen this but he's once again left out of Brazil squad: https://www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/paqueta-left-out-brazil-squad-world-cup-qualifiers-neymar-2023-08-18/

When I see players like Lodi and Cunha in I don't really understand what the Brazil manager is seeing. Richarlison's club form has been appalling the last 12 months. Joelinton played when they were humiliated 4-2 by Senegal but because he plays for super rich Saudi club Newcastle he's back in.

Luiz hasn't made a squad for 2 years now, personally I don't see him getting another look in given his form the last 12 months has been better than any other Brazilian central midfielder and he still doesn't get called up. 

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this but he's once again left out of Brazil squad: https://www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/paqueta-left-out-brazil-squad-world-cup-qualifiers-neymar-2023-08-18/

When I see players like Lodi and Cunha in I don't really understand what the Brazil manager is seeing. Richarlison's club form has been appalling the last 12 months. Joelinton played when they were humiliated 4-2 by Senegal but because he plays for super rich Saudi club Newcastle he's back in.

Luiz hasn't made a squad for 2 years now, personally I don't see him getting another look in given his form the last 12 months has been better than any other Brazilian central midfielder and he still doesn't get called up. 

Is Southgatinho the current Brazil manager?

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Lodi, Cunha and Richarlison are all in different positions - could just be a lack of depth there or talent over form etc.

Personally, I’m happy Luiz isn’t getting called up!

On 14/08/2023 at 08:53, Demitri_C said:

If caicedo is worth 110m how much is luiz worth?

No seriously how much?

Because i think luiz is a better player

You think he's better? Absolutely he is better. Far better. But if that is just Villa's little secret....fine by me!

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Lodi, Cunha and Richarlison are all in different positions - could just be a lack of depth there or talent over form etc.

I’m not. He might feel he needs to move to a “bigger club” to get called up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’m not. He might feel he needs to move to a “bigger club” to get called up.

Lodi plays for Marseille

Cunha for wolves.

I don’t think ‘big club’ is an issue.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I understand they play different positions, it was more the point that they've done nothing to warrant a callup. Richarlison is being picked on his World Cup form etc but Cunha has scored about one goal for Wolves since joining in January and Lodi was shite for Forest last season (admittedly in a weak team).

If we're looking just at players who play in Dougie's position, there is obviously Joelinton and Guimaeres. Guimaeres I think fair enough but Dougie is a much better footballer than Joelinton even if he doesn't have his power or physicality. Then he's picked Andre over him for this squad who plays in Brazil, and in previous squads picked Danilo from Forest and Gomes from Wolves who are nowhere near as good and play for rubbish teams. He also picked Santos from Chelsea who they then loaned back out because he wasn't ready for the Premier League. Yet Luiz won both our player of the season awards last season and been our best player for the last 12 months in a side that finished 7th. The Brazil squad is certainly not picked on a merit, even Fred was being picked over Dougie for the World Cup, no wonder Brazil have been underperforming for so long and it serves them right for their stupid squad selections.

I want all our players called up to their national teams, particularly when they deserve it. Dougie's exclusion for so long is a genuine disgrace given the consistency he has shown week in week out for us. 

5 minutes ago, Thug said:

Lodi plays for Marseille

Cunha for wolves.

I don’t think ‘big club’ is an issue.

Yep. Players getting called up from Wolves, Forest, West Ham, and numerous Saudi and Brazilian clubs, smaller clubs than Villa. 

I personally think it must be beef against Luiz but then the previous manager didn't call him up either so no idea what is going on. Probably should stop caring as it looks like his international career is over.

16 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I understand they play different positions, it was more the point that they've done nothing to warrant a callup. Richarlison is being picked on his World Cup form etc but Cunha has scored about one goal for Wolves since joining in January and Lodi was shite for Forest last season (admittedly in a weak team).

If we're looking just at players who play in Dougie's position, there is obviously Joelinton and Guimaeres. Guimaeres I think fair enough but Dougie is a much better footballer than Joelinton even if he doesn't have his power or physicality. Then he's picked Andre over him for this squad who plays in Brazil, and in previous squads picked Danilo from Forest and Gomes from Wolves who are nowhere near as good and play for rubbish teams. He also picked Santos from Chelsea who they then loaned back out because he wasn't ready for the Premier League. Yet Luiz won both our player of the season awards last season and been our best player for the last 12 months in a side that finished 7th. The Brazil squad is certainly not picked on a merit, even Fred was being picked over Dougie for the World Cup, no wonder Brazil have been underperforming for so long and it serves them right for their stupid squad selections.

I want all our players called up to their national teams, particularly when they deserve it. Dougie's exclusion for so long is a genuine disgrace given the consistency he has shown week in week out for us. 

I'm not going to pretend to know how Brazil play or indeed about most of their players, but all of Guimaraes, Joelinton and Danilo are high-intensity, aggressive players.  Luiz is not.  Even Fred you could argue is that, even if he lacks skills technically.  If the current manager wants a midfield to overrun and outmuscle another side, Luiz just wouldn't get in there.  The Newcastle game provides a quite stark reality check on this front.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I think I have PTSD after the Tyrone and Emi injuries. When I saw Dougie's thread at the top of the page, panic set in. 

Supporting Villa is bad for your emotional well-being. Fact.

I was exactly the same!! 😂

23 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I remember there was some controversy in the past with Brazilian players getting capped to allegedly boost their profile/price.  Celtic got really done badly with this if mY memory serves me right 

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Quite telling throughout preseason and last week that when McGinn hasn't been on the pitch Dougie has been given the armband. I think there is a marked change in the way everyone sees him, he's definitely integral to Unai's plans moving forward. Matter of time before he's back in the national team imo. 

Spotted this as well

Â