Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I think at some point soon, we’re going to have to sell one of our favourites for big money to help with the finances/ffp. Not necessarily this window but within the next couple. It could be Dougie, I think planning replacements is a wise move for the likes of Martinez, Luiz, Watkins, Kamara (not all of them but if one of them left!) so that when it happens we are able to move on reasonably seamlessly. Not like we did with Jack or how West Ham seem to be struggling post Rice. We need to aim to handle it like Brighton.

• Like 1

One thing I found strange and have noticed in multiple threads is that some of our fans seem desperate to want to sell our most valuable assets. This tells me that they didn't learn much from the Grealish saga, nor the issues that West Ham are having now. 

It's much better to have great players than lots of money, especially when you already have plenty of cash and everyone knows just how much you've just brought in and will be looking to fleece you for whoever you try to sign. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

One thing I found strange and have noticed in multiple threads is that some of our fans seem desperate to want to sell our most valuable assets. This tells me that they didn't learn much from the Grealish saga, nor the issues that West Ham are having now. 

It's much better to have great players than lots of money, especially when you already have plenty of cash and everyone knows just how much you've just brought in and will be looking to fleece you for whoever you try to sign. 

Of course it is better to have a guaranteed good player than money. Well run clubs though need to be able to sell players and replace them, we will lose players against our will, also there is financial fair play to deal with. Selling for profit, replacing for less money allows us to improve other areas of the team, it is though a difficult thing to do but something we should strive to learn.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Surely what we learned from the Grealish saga is that sometimes players want to leave regardless of the affiliation they have for the club and we’re not Real Madrid so there will always be a better project out there. FFP is also a reality and we can’t just keep spending. At some point you need to make a calm planned sale of a valuable asset to balance the books and the key to not ending up in a mess is planning ahead. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Sometimes players, even good players are sold for the benefit of the team.  Ronaldo leaving Man U in 2009.  Liverpool selling Coutinho allowed them to buy Allison and VVD and they went on to win the CL and PL.   

We also are building a squad that can cope with a player or two leaving and still have a quality player to take up the slack before getting a replacement in. Not like the Grealish/Benteke incidents. 

Dougie leaves, Tielemans is there. 

Ming's leaves, Torres and Carlos are there. 

The only position we don't look well catered for is at striker. (Keeper would be more easily dealt with when looking for an outright number 1 imo)

Obviously I would rather keep them all and add to what we already have...but I think we're in abetter position to manage a sale than we have been in before. 

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Sometimes players, even good players are sold for the benefit of the team.  Ronaldo leaving Man U in 2009.  Liverpool selling Coutinho allowed them to buy Allison and VVD and they went on to win the CL and PL.   

Sometimes, yes. But there's no conceivable way that selling Luiz or Watkins would be for the benefit of the team. You're also talking about different scales and situations - Man Utd and Liverpool (especially at that time) can buy almost anyone they want from just about any other team, the likes of us and West Ham are not close to that level. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Surely what we learned from the Grealish saga is that sometimes players want to leave regardless of the affiliation they have for the club and we’re not Real Madrid so there will always be a better project out there. FFP is also a reality and we can’t just keep spending. At some point you need to make a calm planned sale of a valuable asset to balance the books and the key to not ending up in a mess is planning ahead. 

Except that's not what fans are advocating - it's just SELL HIM. I'd rather we didn't buy anyone because we didn't really need to than spend because we have to. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Of course it is better to have a guaranteed good player than money. Well run clubs though need to be able to sell players and replace them, we will lose players against our will, also there is financial fair play to deal with. Selling for profit, replacing for less money allows us to improve other areas of the team, it is though a difficult thing to do but something we should strive to learn.  

Sometimes, thought it depends entirely on what pool of players you have access to and that is limited unless you're a CL club. We weren't able to replace Grealish and West Ham won't be able to replace Rice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Me looking for these fans saying they want to sell Dougie

image.gif.be39643d78e175b999000214bd794314.gif

I don’t!! At all! But I just think we might need to sell an asset at some point to help balance the books and I would hope the club are planning well for this eventuality. 

Yes we have Tielemans competing with Luiz and Kamara right now. But that is what gives us our strength. Depth of quality. Selling Dougie weakens us as quite frankly, there is no-one we can buy that adequately replaces him. If you sell a £100 million player and don't replace them with another £100 million player you have become worse as a team. We saw that with Grealish. You don't have to pay £100 million to get a £100 million player though, I understand that, but that sort of scouting should be adding stars, not replacing them, for us. Selling someone like Luiz weakens us when we are so close to becoming a strong team in the Premier League and Europe once more. The fact that some people say we will replace him with Adams from Leeds makes me despair as he isn't even better than Dendoncker.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm not even remotely worried about Dougie leaving, and nor should anyone else. 

How many times does he have to say he’s happy lol. Maybe he needs it tattooed on his face then perhaps only 20% of Villa fans will freak out about him leaving every year. 

Under no circumstances do we sell Dougie the guy is one of the best all round midfielders in Europe & is integral to our midfield, he is a joy to watch on the ball & think he will be even better this season & hasn't hit his peak yet. Wouldn't swap him for anybody, I'm struggling to find a better midfield 3 of Dougie, Kamara & Tielemans in Europe, didn't he sign a new contract last year ? Unless people are offering £100 million + he ain't going anywhere (Arsenal set the bar getting Rice for £105 million) & I wouldn't swap him for Rice either. & come on lads Spurs ? As if he'd swap us for that basket case of a club 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

We also are building a squad that can cope with a player or two leaving and still have a quality player to take up the slack before getting a replacement in. Not like the Grealish/Benteke incidents. 

Dougie leaves, Tielemans is there. 

Ming's leaves, Torres and Carlos are there. 

The only position we don't look well catered for is at striker. (Keeper would be more easily dealt with when looking for an outright number 1 imo)

Obviously I would rather keep them all and add to what we already have...but I think we're in abetter position to manage a sale than we have been in before. 

Tielemans is there is case of injury, suspension or form/ energy dip, not in case Dougie leaves.......Dougie is central to what we do, but Tielemans is such good quality too, to deputise......thats what strengthening really is.

Â