Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

36 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Unfortunately not if his contract was running out.

His agent says he signs this and you get £30-60m or he goes for free very soon. We were over a barrel. If there is one, I'd be happy if the club are looking to give him an extension and get rid of it.

He's undoubtedly looked our best player in pre-season. Totally comfortable in his role. Cruising through minutes.

He was our best player last season.  He would be  Irreplaceable, especially at this stage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Grealish was undoubtedly our best player. As much as I love Dougie, it's arguable that he is. Kamara is for me.

I’d argue that we’ve seen us be pretty good (our 2 best performances imo) were without Kamara. We’ve not seen our performances without Luiz

25 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I’d argue that we’ve seen us be pretty good (our 2 best performances imo) were without Kamara. We’ve not seen our performances without Luiz

May be the case but Kamara is simply borderline world class IMO.

It's difficult to find the right player to compare Doug to, I think the nearest for me would probably be Jorginho, but I think Doug has more flair and creativity than Jorginho and he's six years younger. I don't know what he's worth, but I reckon it's a lot - and when he goes, I suspect it'll be to one of the Spanish giants rather than another English team - hopefully that's not going to be for some time.

• Like 3

Don't think I seen Dougie have a bad game last season under Emery & if he can kick on from his 6 goals & 6 assists from last season & playing for Brazil then I'd say we'd have another world class midfielder in our ranks 

18 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Don't think I seen Dougie have a bad game last season under Emery & if he can kick on from his 6 goals & 6 assists from last season & playing for Brazil then I'd say we'd have another world class midfielder in our ranks 

Don't think he had a bad game under Steven either, he just refused to start him. Don't think he rates clever midfielders!

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Listen, I love those three as much as the next Villa fan, but your talking about (in order) breaking 1) The world record goalkeeper transfer record 2) The PL all time transfer record 3) Record transfer fee for an English striker. 

All 3 play for a club that has won absolutely nothing in 25 years. 

If any of those numbers were put up, they'd be off faster than you can fart. 

1. Adjusting for inflation Kepa would cost £90 million today. Kepa. Lol. This is Martinez we're talking about. National hero. Copa America and World Cup winner. Officially the best keeper in the world currently according to FIFA. I'd say £80 million is cheap.

2 and 3. In a universe where Rice costs £105 million Dougie easily has to be worth £120 mil. Watkins is the only English striker bar kane to get more than 10 league goals a season consistently for the last 3 prem seasons. Other English strikers might go for more like Kane but considering the above strike rate and age etc I think that's the approx figure for Watkins in this market.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Don't think he had a bad game under Steven either, he just refused to start him. Don't think he rates clever midfielders!

Agreed & was scandalous he didn't play him 🤦‍♂️ seems like he has carried on where he left off with us in Saudi, think he has lost 6 on the bounce 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

1. Adjusting for inflation Kepa would cost £90 million today. Kepa. Lol. This is Martinez we're talking about. National hero. Copa America and World Cup winner. Officially the best keeper in the world currently according to FIFA. I'd say £80 million is cheap.

2 and 3. In a universe where Rice costs £105 million Dougie easily has to be worth £120 mil. Watkins is the only English striker bar kane to get more than 10 league goals a season consistently for the last 3 prem seasons. Other English strikers might go for more like Kane but considering the above strike rate and age etc I think that's the approx figure for Watkins in this market.

Yeah, some good points there (Kepa and Chelsea lol.)

I'd still say that if the club got offers around those numbers the lot of them would be off, except possibly Martinez as its so hard to get a world class keeper. 

The other two are replaceable with the money you're bringing in, and the club would be mad not to take it (btw Luiz is my fav Villa player so not saying that lightly). 

The thing with Rice is, similar to Grealish, he was WHU's club talisman, best player and everything went through him. That is damned hard to replace for a club so that's why his fee was so hilarious. We have Kamara, Tielemans and McGinn, some of which are as good if not better than Doug. 

23 hours ago, striker said:

If anyone comes in for Luiz and offers 70m I’m sure Emery and the club would bite their hands off!

I like the idea and it would send a message to other clubs, although it sounds a bit extreme for our club, even the Saudi's don't actually bite them off! :D

How dare you be on page 3, his passing is bloody sublime as is his reading of the game, feels like he’s come on loads since Unai took over. Was pure silk today, calm , composed and so effective. 

• Like 3

About that possible release clause. Didn't Purslow say something about never allow such a thing in a contract again after Grealish left for citeh? I highly doubt there is a release clause. If there was it would have been triggered by now. 

Anyway, what a player we have here. He oozes class. The only thing that worries me a little is his tempre. 

Â