Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Has been and will always be my favorite player at the Villa, even whilst others were doubting him during various downturns in form. Nothing made me happier than when he signed a new contract. 

His English is amazing now as well, came across brilliantly in his post match interview on AVTV, a million miles from when he first arrived and he's made a noticeable connection with the fans now. Clearly loves the club. 

I hope he makes 400 appearances for us and lifts a trophy to become a legend. 

Great post. Snap!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

No it’s not. Not everything hangs on Gerrard. The manager who has taken over Brazil, was the manager at younger age levels he’s selected a lot from there. He’s not picked Martinelli from Arsenal, going for younger players with less game time (Victor Roque).

He’s been out of the Brazil squad since well before Tite stepped down, and had been making most squads from around 2019 until late 2021.

When Gerrard came in, a few of our players (Mings, Watkins, Dougie the obvious ones) suddenly fell out of the reckoning at international level. Can blame it on individual player form, but it’s a hell of a coincidence that they all dropped off at the same time and now look class again.

I get your point re the manager picking young players with less game time - but most of the players in Dougie’s age group who made Tite’s WC squad are in there (eg Antony).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Has been and will always be my favorite player at the Villa, even whilst others were doubting him during various downturns in form. Nothing made me happier than when he signed a new contract. 

His English is amazing now as well, came across brilliantly in his post match interview on AVTV, a million miles from when he first arrived and he's made a noticeable connection with the fans now. Clearly loves the club. 

I hope he makes 400 appearances for us and lifts a trophy to become a legend. 

I'll never forget his passion in that relegation dog fight. He celebrates every goal as if he's scored it, and very rarely moans, just gets on with it. So yeah, agree completely mate. Love the guy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think Arsenal will come knocking again in the summer with £40m+. 

I personally think we’d be very well placed to hang on to him this summer. He’s a nailed on starter, working with an elite manager, the team is showing European qualification form since Emery joined, and wages are unlikely to be an issue.

If he was 26+ then more likely, but for now I think he’ll be happy here. And hopefully in a couple of seasons we’ll be playing on a higher stage.

The only thing that might play on his mind is the lack of Brazil caps, but I think he’ll be back in the Brazil squad soon regardless of whether he stays here.

If a Barcelona / Madrid type team came in for him, then more of a worry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Unless the clause is set around that figure then no chance , he’s always been very good but under Unai he’s turning into a Boss player , he won’t want a move now and we’d want a lot more than that given his age , top top player

Always liked Luiz, even when many were criticising him you could always see a player there.

An elite manager is also going to get that extra few percent from his game.

He's a silky player and links things together so well from defence to attack. He also never hides, wants the ball all the time, I guess that's part of his heritage.

Echo the sentiments I hope he's here for awhile yet.

• Like 4

Amazing what you can do when you've got someone in the middle of the park that just oozes quality and calmness. Whether we're trying to break down a low block , we're getting ran on in transition, we are being pressed. Just get Luiz the ball he wants it and he will calm it down or set the tempo.

Gerrard should be hung for crimes against football not making him a staple.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Now that he's signed a new contract we wouldn't be under pressure to sell him if we didn't want to. Arsenal would probably look at cheaper alternatives now.

20 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Now that he's signed a new contract we wouldn't be under pressure to sell him if we didn't want to. Arsenal would probably look at cheaper alternatives now.

I would be doubtful that there is no release clause in that new contract. 

15 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I personally think we’d be very well placed to hang on to him this summer. He’s a nailed on starter, working with an elite manager, the team is showing European qualification form since Emery joined, and wages are unlikely to be an issue.

If he was 26+ then more likely, but for now I think he’ll be happy here. And hopefully in a couple of seasons we’ll be playing on a higher stage.

The only thing that might play on his mind is the lack of Brazil caps, but I think he’ll be back in the Brazil squad soon regardless of whether he stays here.

If a Barcelona / Madrid type team came in for him, then more of a worry.

Broke teams that can’t afford to register players?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, romavillan said:

Would take double that for us to even answer the phone.

When you have the financial muscle we have and then add our ambition to it i think you are correct. 

Our 2 central starting midfielders will have around  4 years left on their deals in the summer.  

Unless they were insane bids that suited the club then they will reject any interest in our players . 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2023 at 17:44, avfc1982am said:

What is he 24?? And running the show. That overhead pass to McGinn shows just how on point he is. Awareness, technique, passing, positioning, he's continually excelling in midfield.

Such a fantastic player making things look easy. 

33 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

1:38 was outrageous 

It's just very easy for him to do stuff like that. I think only Buendia or Coutinho could be as audacious, and still not make it look so easy. He's such a class player that it boggles me how long it's taken for people to realise how good he is.

• Like 3

Â