Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, sne said:

Still think it's more about the role than the position or number. He doesn't want to sit and protect the back 4 or be in a position where if he loses the ball it's a direct scoring opportunity.

Being the lone DCM is not for him, and I think we all agree it's not where he's best used. He can still be more advanced and play as a 6, just need another 6 next to him. Don't think he want's to be a box to box player like McGinn.

And to add to the whole numbers nonsense the 6 role is generally referred to as the 5 role in South America.

He was absolutely fantastic as part of a 2 to keep us up at the end of the 19/20 season. Hopefully he can recapture his form from there and add in a few more goals as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

"I hope I can help by bringing the ball out from the back" is the quote I think - a natural no 6.

It would seem that there's a much more recent interview where he's said he'd prefer to play as an eight, I've never seen it though. It's referred to a lot on here and I think it might have been something he's done for Brazilian media, but I'd be interested to see what he's actually said in it.

I think thats just part of a No6.....There's a lot more to it than that.

Disrupting the the oppositions sorties.....and recovering the ball is also paramount....getting about the opposition and ratting, is a part of that role imo.

Its great to have a good passer, to take the ball out and he is......but there is an crucial job to do without the ball, and I am not so sure, there.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

"I hope I can help by bringing the ball out from the back" is the quote I think - a natural no 6.

It would seem that there's a much more recent interview where he's said he'd prefer to play as an eight, I've never seen it though. It's referred to a lot on here and I think it might have been something he's done for Brazilian media, but I'd be interested to see what he's actually said in it.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thank you for that.

I think his perfect position is next to Kamara in a withdrawn role but with licence to get forward and support. 

I actually think that Kamara/Luiz/McGinn (or Ramsey) could be a really well balanced midfield - Kamara gives Luiz freedom from deeper and having both behind him would give McGinn a chance to really have an impact in our forward play.

Liverpool had a similar set up with Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard for a while, right? We all have wanted a better CDM option for several seasons now and hopefully Kamara is the key to unlocking the potential in the rest of the midfield with the balance that he should bring. I certainly expect to see more from Doug and SJM this season. Let's not forget that we had a decent spell with Nakamba in the team and he is a much more limited player.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing how we look with 2 deeper CMs if we go with a 4231 but we'd likely see that lineup without Ramsey or McGinn which I don't think is likely.

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

They call that an 8. The numbers have been around since the 1920s.

Well I don't remember people constantly referring to players as numbers. They were either a decent midfielder, defender or a greater pretty decent inside forward and a wonderful centre or not so wonderful.. Admittedly, the number 9 was often used, but that was the romantic position and still is some respects .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Well I don't remember people constantly referring to players as numbers. They were either a decent midfielder, defender or a greater pretty decent inside forward and a wonderful centre or not so wonderful.. Admittedly, the number 9 was often used, but that was the romantic position and still is some respects .

It’s literally just easier to say 6 8 10 instead of defensive midfielder, box to box midfielder, attacking midfielder.

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It’s literally just easier to say 6 8 10 instead of defensive midfielder, box to box midfielder, attacking midfielder.

The generally-accepted abbreviations used in tactical/formation discussions nowadays...

1. Goalkeeper

2. Right Back

3. Left Back

5. Centre Back

6 Defensive Midfielder

8 Box to box midfielder

9 Centre Forward

10 Attacking Midfielder/Withdrawn Striker

12+ Sub... 😡

4, 7, and 11 are (disgracefully) omitted from tactical discussions 😆😆

2 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

The generally-accepted abbreviations used in tactical/formation discussions nowadays...

1. Goalkeeper

2. Right Back

3. Left Back

5. Centre Back

6 Defensive Midfielder

8 Box to box midfielder

9 Centre Forward

12+ Sub... 😡

How does the midfield general fit into these numbers as hes neither box to box or defensive midfield? 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

How does the midfield general fit into these numbers as hes neither box to box or defensive midfield? 

He gets to pick whatever number he wants because he's a General.... 💪💂‍♂️

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I have a feeling, just a feeling mind, that there’s been a gentleman’s agreement here. Something like, if he doesn’t find a new club this window he’ll sign an extension here. 

it explain the relaxed attitude by player and club

Maybe Dougie was waiting to see if we signed a CDM before committing as he doesn't want to play there any more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLVillan said:

1. Goalkeeper

2. Right Back

3. Left Back

5. Centre Back

6 Defensive Midfielder

8 Box to box midfielder

9 Centre Forward

12+ Sub... 😡

7/11are wingers 

I thought he was alright, technically tidy and transitions the ball well. I just want to see more dynamism though, more shots, assists, a bit of acceleration to progress the ball forward slightly differently and create spaces.

I prefer him to McGinn, think he offers more potential, if we want rid of two midfielders I would say it’s McGinn and Nakamba, not Luiz.

Hope he signs a new deal and we realise his value either on the pitch or in a sale.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Since when was John Barnrse a midfielder?

I wasn’t the one who posted it but think it’s just that Barnes used to always focus on defence AND attack - that’ll always hit you and hurt you, he said…

:)

• Like 1

this makes about as much sense as a riddle.

Not sure how he needs to "understand if there is a chance to leave on a free".

I mean.....you run your contract down....simples.......

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

this makes about as much sense as a riddle.

Not sure how he needs to "understand if there is a chance to leave on a free".

I mean.....you run your contract down....simples.......

Yes and I reckon that's what he'll do.

Doesn't suit us obviously. I'd be inclined to bench him or leave him out of the matchday squad altogether if he doesn't sign a new contract and we can't sell him this window. He's not exactly been pulling up any trees in preseason.

Â