Matt Targett

villan-scott

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Would I be right in thinking Matt Targett would be the first bought player (not Grealish) we resold for more than £10m since Bentake? 

Yep. Apart from Grealish, haven't sold any player for over £10m for 6 years. That's quite the statistic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

We paid out absolutely maximum £14m for Target (£11m + add ons which I doubt were met, he's not played for England, we've not finished in Europe).

We've probably paid £12 for appearance numbers in likelihood.

We've already earned £5m in the loan fee AND are about to get all our money back so that's a £5m actual profit.

Added to which in our books of account he's probably been depreciated to only £2m or so of value by now so we're gong to be £10m positive for FFP to add to new purchases.

I'm staggered to see how anyone could consider this a bad deal for us.

It's definitely not a bad deal.

I don't think it's a great deal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Would I be right in thinking Matt Targett would be the first bought player (not Grealish) we resold for more than £10m since Bentake? 

I think we sold samatta for what we paid for which was around 10m

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We paid out absolutely maximum £14m for Target (£11m + add ons which I doubt were met, he's not played for England, we've not finished in Europe).

We've probably actually paid £12m for appearance numbers in likelihood.

We've already earned £5m in the loan fee AND are about to get all our money back so that's a £5m actual profit.

Added to which in our books of account he's probably been depreciated to only £2m or so of value by now so we're going to be £10m positive for FFP to add to new purchases.

I'm staggered to see how anyone could consider this a bad deal for us.

No, we haven't.

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I am not sure why people think 12m or 15m or whatever it is is bad value. If Villa were selling Target at an undervalue fee then why isn't there a queue of other clubs putting. in bids? 

They are, but he has told us he'll only move to Newcastle and they have another week to trigger their option before other clubs can bid.

We did over pay for target originally however it has to be said that we might well have gone down without him, with the razor sharp closeness of our safety margin.

The method of his departure has enabled us to get a fair price back for him, funny enough his eagerness to join them may have helped ..... in both sets of fans eyes too.

Good luck matt, I just have a feeling you will need to pull this same trick again in the next couple of transfer windows 

All things considered he has been a good signing for us.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

They are, but he has told us he'll only move to Newcastle and they have another week to trigger their option before other clubs can bid.

There is nothing stopping other clubs bidding now. How do u know he told us that he only wants to join Toon? I haven't seen that

2 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Good deal. Was atrocious in his final games for us before Digne came in. Knew he would be on the bench here so took the move to Newcastle, cannot blame him for being realistic and knowing his own shortcomings.

Probably now being bought by Newcastle to be back up to a new LB either this window or next. 

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

There is nothing stopping other clubs bidding now. How do u know he told us that he only wants to join Toon? I haven't seen that

I just wanted to join in making something up and saying it with complete certainty.

If Newcastle had an option to buy, which it appears they did, of course we can't block it and say we're selling to Fulham for £1m more. Whether or not it would have expired or not is speculation.

A bit meh. I think the price is roughly about right, maybe a smidge low but not enough for me to be particularly vexed. If Newcastle are serious about their ambitions, I don’t think he’ll be starting for them by the end of next season.

I’ll think back fondly to his last gasp winner against Brighton. 

Â