Matt Targett

villan-scott

Wouldn’t let Newcastle walk my dog let alone loan them Targett.

I get it if Gerrard doesn’t rate him, but a loan for 6 months to help Newcastle and no clause to make it permanent in the summer seems strange. If they stay up they’ll be looking to buy an upgrade on Targett. Not sure how we win from this…?

• Like 2

If we don’t bring in cover then yes, a loan seems very risky.

However if the player has been told he’s no longer part of the managers plans and he has an opportunity for first team football which improves his chances of a move in the summer. Wouldn’t it be worth letting him go?

His value isn’t going to increase with him sitting on the bench for the next 5 months. 

We made a stupid loss with Tuanzebe so presumably this would recoup most of if not all of it. I don't see the problem, really. We know Targett isn't good enough for us and Newcastle are probably going to be a competitor in a couple of years regardless of this transfer - might as well extort some money out of them. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we don’t bring in cover then yes, a loan seems very risky.

However if the player has been told he’s no longer part of the managers plans and he has an opportunity for first team football which improves his chances of a move in the summer. Wouldn’t it be worth letting him go?

His value isn’t going to increase with him sitting on the bench for the next 5 months. 

We have Young as cover tbf.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

We made a stupid loss with Tuanzebe so presumably this would recoup most of if not all of it. I don't see the problem, really. We know Targett isn't good enough for us and Newcastle are probably going to be a competitor in a couple of years regardless of this transfer - might as well extort some money out of them. 

What stupid loss did we make on Tuanzebe? 

• Like 1

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

"Targett isn't good enough" "He's a liability" "His positioning is terrible" "We need a new left back"

*Buy a new left back and potentially let Targett leave*

"We can't strengthen another team!" "Targett is a mid table left back" "I can't believe the club are doing this"

Exactly.

• Like 1

If this is happening there is a reason. And do not rule out us being decent and allowing him out to play football when the reality is even if he competes for the position , Digne is different levels to him and he would have to transform the way he plays left back to have a chance . 

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We have Young as cover tbf.

Oh yeh! I genuinely forgot about Young. Ok so I can see why we are letting him go. He seems a good professional and a nice lad. To tell him he ain’t going to Newcastle to warm our bench for some of the reasons fans have mentioned would seem a bit harsh.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Makes absolutely zero sense to Loan out Targett to Newcastle. Unless hefty loan fee 

United were asking for a ridiculous amount for Lingard (5 million loan fee and then 12 million on top if Newcastle survived I think I read) although he has only 6 months left on his contract. Hopefully this is something similar if he is off up therre.

Seems odd, but I trust the club. I wonder if the loan is with an obligation to buy, as they are bringing in a lot of players at quite a high cost, so it might be a way to get around FFP.

Is Gerrard doesn't rate him, or the player wants to go - then cut our losses.
I know some don't want to deal with Newcastle, but giving them our back-up LB for an inflated fee is helping us a lot more than it's helping them. 

I'd say £20m+ to them, which would be a huge amount for him. (Can't see us getting the same as we paid for Digne!)
If they are paying £13m for 29 year old Dan Burn (who plays about 1/2 of Brighton's games over the past couple of seasons), then for 26 year old Matt Targett, who was first choice until a couple of weeks ago, there's money to be had.  

Â