Matt Targett

villan-scott

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder if someone might bid for him in this window and if we’d be open to offers? 

I like Targett and think he would be a good squad player but if a bid of £17/18m came in for him, would we tempted to sell? 

If, and that's a big if, we are waiting for Hickey in the summer or find a equally good understudy this month, I could see the club entertaining a bid. I think he's gone by summer at worst.

Thanks Matthew for the memories. You did really well last season and probably played above yourself as part of the team. But we are in a rush and we have to improve all over the pitch to ger where we want to get to . Hope you do stay though and be a part of the squad 

4 minutes ago, Adman said:

Player of the season last year

Without fans.

Season before last he was poor. This season he has been poor.

This suggest mentally he is quite frail.

I reckon he is much better in training.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, Adman said:

Maybe, but worth supporting to become stronger rather than calling him shite and running him out of the club

I just see people calling him not good enough. 

I don't think that is offensive at all.

I'd be happy for him to be a backup player if he wants to stay.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I just see people calling him not good enough. 

I don't think that is offensive at all.

I'd be happy for him to be a backup player if he wants to stay.

People are slating him on Twitter apparently?  I can't be arsed to find out.  On here, people seem a bit polarised with players.  They are allowed bad games, mistakes and drops in form.  That's why you have cover which he doesn't really have.  Not sure Ashley young provides the engine required for what's been asked of the position.  

If we get digne, I can see targett starting over him in some games on merit 

• Like 1

If we sign Digne then I don't think he will stay, as I think if we're to have one older left-back then we'd prefer the other one to be more of a younger prospect and by that I don't mean someone from the academy but someone who is ready do a job at PL level when needed and who is still going to be relatively young When Digne needs replacing, also it's not just about what we want but what Targett wants as well and if he can get first team football at another Premier League club he will probably be very interested.

I think some are so used to the last ten or so years where the only players that we've wished to sell have either been ones that have flopped massively or that we've been stuck with because they're on massive wages, that they now associate the idea of wanting to sell a player with some sort of criticism of that player, but we're at the point now where us wanting to sell a player or being prepared to sell a player doesn't mean that that player isn't good or hasn't done a good job, it's just a sign that we're progressing.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Went from player of the season last year to, if I'm reading this correctly, a pub player? Come on. His form has definitely dipped, but he's still more than good enough to fight for his place in this team.

Don't be ridiculous, flogging people is trending. Burn him alive.

ps. seriously though, this is the level of competition we need.

A team like Man City is in fact a good example of why we shouldn't be afraid of selling a player like Targett, because Man City believe it or not sell good players all the time as do all the other top clubs, and it's something we're going to have get used to, as we improve we will move players on not because they're bad players or because they haven't been good but because when you get to the stage where you're trying to break into the top eight or six it's no longer just about selling players because they've been rubbish as has basically been the case for us over the last ten or so years, but more because we will need to replace midtable players with top six players.

In Targett's case I think he's a perfectly adequate back up, and there's no rush to sell him, in fact against some opposition he might be better suited than Digne. But at the same time I don't think we should be afraid of the idea of him leaving if the club say wanted to replace him with a younger understudy to Digne.

Â