Match Thread: PO Villa v West Brom

limpid

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

El ghazi is looking dangerous down the left, but they're outnumbering us in the box and winning every cross. 

I agree, but if you hit the crosses on the deck that doesn't matter and that's what I want to see anyway. I much prefer pinging the ball wide and smashing it in front of the keeper. Higher tempo, but keep the ball on the pitch!

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Just now, PompeyVillan said:

Rocket needed. Very disappointing so far. We're clearly the more ambitious team but bottling it so far. 

It's the finishing isn't it that's been poor, as for the passing, making runs it's been very good, just need the knife edge sharpness on those shots.

1 minute ago, Michelsen said:

I did. We’re clearly a better team, we’re just lacking that little edge in both ends of the pitch today. I still feel like we could put two or three past them if things start clicking for us. 

I feel the same, doesn't mean we're a superior side though. 

Just now, punkiller1981 said:

I don’t dislike Tammy but Gayle is the best striker in this league has been for years

I don't rate Gayle that highly, but I sort of agree. If Abraham had the chance Gayle had I think he would have missed it. Just like he did with his volley

Brom got the game exactly how they want it.

Letting us have the ball and hitting us on the counter. Very limited team but keeping it simple.

And since we are playing at walking tempo they don't even have to put any effort in.

• Like 1

At several times. El Ghazi, Tammy, McGinn, Adomah were all camped on a line with their back four. All standing still. Where's the movement? I fail to see what the idea is. Get ready for the cross? They've parked the bus damn it. 

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Who said we're the superior side? They've been above us all season. 

We are playing the better football. We have had more possesion and completed far more passes. Their goal came from an error not from a good footballing move. We are superior!

On our run we beat teams who were trying to win and so created gaps for us to exploit. West Brom are sitting back and that's always when we struggle. It's like we have the potential to beat anyone, but we only seem to impose ourselves when it feels like it would be rude not too. Gayle is the opposite, he is a hard working, clinical machine from minute one of the game and he personifies the West Brom spirit. In a nutshell, we are a team that fannies around far too much.

Rarely do we take it to the opposition and effectively dominate, when that opposition is very good at defending. There needs to be more tempo, guile and precision. We can still win this, but it doesn't look likely right now. A superb away performance from Albion who are clearly the better team despite their lack of possession. And Whelan can **** off.

Jack needs to show his quality even if out marked, he has no chance in champions league football if he can't overcome Albion at the playoffs..

He could still be with us next season if he doesn't show that quality here..

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

I feel the same, doesn't mean we're a superior side though. 

I think we’re better than them. I think we’ve played better than them today, too, just not well enough to break them down. Yet. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

It's the finishing isn't it that's been poor, as for the passing, making runs it's been very good, just need the knife edge sharpness on those shots.

They have let us play the passing game, that's why we look good. They are as good as parking the bus, more so in the second half.

3 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Risk of red card and pen I would guess? He was coming at full pace 

If he dived in then Gayle could still have shifted it and got a shot anyway.  I still have no idea what Whelan was doing, trying to pass or control it.  He just sort of stood there as well.  It'll be tough to break through a flat back 6 but we can do it if we remain patient and don't do anything daft.

• Like 1