Tactical Masterminding

Django_Zooms

Don't get the debate about selection, and kicking the shit out of each other. A straight red would mean a suspension for both legs of the semis, so I reckon it could be an even more cautious game than normal.
Deano will probably be smart over the next 2 games and make sure we've got as fully fit a squad as possible, so a bit of rotation should be in order. We saw the benefit SJM got from his 2x game suspension.

But if in doubt - play the fringe players and beat them 3-0 anyway.

West Brom play derby away on the last day of the season. Derby will have to win that game to make the playoffs offs. You have to assume that derby will win or draw that game.

if that happens and we win our two remaining games we leapfrog baggies. As well as building more confidence by beating Leeds and Norwich this means we play baggies at home in the second leg of the play offs - I’d be far more confident of our chances in that scenario.

Players now have a week off. They have a further week off after that. Then another week off before the semis. Then another week and a half to prepare for the final. 

As rest is not an issue we should play our strongest team and go to win every game. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Villa will have to beat Baggies then Leeds to get promoted, 

The way things are going it could easily be Leeds then Sandwell Town!

35 minutes ago, Kingman said:

The way things are going it could easily be Leeds then Sandwell Town!

We'd have to finish 6th for that though, or Leeds would have to lose the next 2 on the bounce whilst the baggies win both. 

Might happen but unlikely, this Leeds game is key I think. Going into it to win is a must but risking McGinn and maybe not resting players who might well need a little break could cost us down the line too. Smith will have to really earn his corn here. Beat Leeds and we go in the Norwich game with them already promoted and hopefully with the title sewn up so they have nothing to play for. That gives us a chance of 4th and the prize there is bringing the tesco bags back to a rocking villa park to get to the final rather than maybe having to go to their place needing to win.

Whilst it's true after our run we should fear no-one, we have games against two of the best sides in the league coming up followed by very, very high stakes games against more of the same. So we shouldn't be taking anything for granted either and I'm sure the coaching staff and players aren't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

We'd have to finish 6th for that though, or Leeds would have to lose the next 2 on the bounce whilst the baggies win both. 

If we beat Leeds at the weekend and Sandwell beat Rotherham then its all going on to the last game of the season.

Leeds could also draw there last game and a Sandwell win will take them above Leeds on GD. 

Edited by Kingman

At some point over the next two games we need to rest players. I’d be tempted to do so against Norwich, as it’d be nice to get a psychological edge over Leeds with a win. Plus Norwich will have the league wrapped up by then and will possibly be easier to beat with some our better players rested.

• Like 1

I would rest Jack for this game bringing Connor in.

Other than that id go full strength.

This way we will still give them a good game but wont give them too much to learn from. 

It could also help protect Jack in case Bielsa has any ideas of taking him out for the playoffs.

• Like 1

You’ve got to imagine there will be some less than favourable tactics being used by Leeds. But, that could backfire on them, there’s always the chance that they’ll get a player sent off. We do need to be careful of injuries now, any little thing could upset the apple kart.

The Millwall attendance (39,839) means that if we want to reach an average gate of 36,000 for the season, we need a minimum gate of 41,075 against Norwich.  That would round up to 36,000.  No rounding would need 41,086.  Make it happen!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

The Millwall attendance (39,839) means that if we want to reach an average gate of 36,000 for the season, we need a minimum gate of 41,075 against Norwich.  That would round up to 36,000.  No rounding would need 41,086.  Make it happen!

I swear villa have confirmed Norwich has already sold out so it's already happened. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Do not rest anyone.

Try and finish as high as possible which is 4th. Don't weaken the side and lose momentum.

Ideal world yeah I guess, with no injuries or suspensions, it's a big risk though, couple get a knock McGinn racks up a yellow or two... that would be a big blow for us in terms of playoff chances.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

Alioski is out for the season/playoffs for Leeds. 

Would prefer it if Janssen was out - he loves playing against us - but it certainly won't hurt!

They are rightly **** so. Dallas doesn't look comfortable there at all. Janssen is a great player when they are playing well and things are going his way but he can be quietened too at times.

I don't think we need to rest all of our players. Grealish (obvious), McGinn (card count) , Elmo (age) and Taylor (as our only LB) would be my choice. 

Steer

Hutton Mings Elphick Hause

Hourihane Whelan Lansbury

Kodjia Davis Green

Not the strongest team but still decent. Gives the fringe players a chance to show what they can do, as they may be called upon as subs etc during playoffs. 

• Like 1

Rest Jack and McGinn.  Can't risk injury or suspension on either of them. Give Hourihane and Landsbury game time.

Rest Whelan for Norwich, start the other regulars to keep them sharp. 

Real tough one to call how to go here. Personally, I think resting key players is just about the way to go - think the first team will be a little half hearted if played as their main task would be to avoid injury/suspension, which is never a good outlook, whereas the reserves will see it as a great chance to try and get some play off minutes. That means mings, McGinn and Grealish on the bench. We could play Hause left back and then use the opportunity to give minutes to both Axel and Tommy at centre back. Hourihane in is a no brainer, then Lansbury probably also. Could even play BB over Whelan, as Whelan has elevated himself to key player these days. Hutton could be played over Elmo also. Would keep ElGhazi playing as he seems to be a real form player and is on a hot streak at the moment. Davis and Kodjia/Green can fill the other two slots in the front 3!

Edited by Carlos_the_third
  • Like 2