Tactical Masterminding

Django_Zooms

20 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To say we are 'a bit of a state results wise' without Grealish whilst technically true, lacks context. We also lost Tuanzebe at the same time and were left with James Bree at centre half, who now can't get a game for Ipswich, and one actual half fit central defender, who has subsequently had surgery and been shut down for the season. Our back 4 at one point consisted of 3 right backs. Not just for one game, but several. Our defence was left horrendously deficient by Bruce and by the time reinforcements arrived and February rolled around, we were low on confidence and just kinda done with it all. 

Yes results initially turned around quickly under Smith, but that was in part because he relied early on Grealish to pull the strings. It's not a simple ask going from the turgid, football by the numbers shite we were churning out under Bruce to what we are now. Nobody had settled into the DM role, nobody had *really* settled into this completely different (and brilliant) playing style at all and so everything unravelled, quickly. We also rely heavily on our centre halves to manage the game, see paragraph 1. 

Imagine your season missing Hernandez for 14 games over the winter, also known as the second best player in the division, as well as Cooper and Pontus. That's basically where we were at. Still, turn that result against Leeds around at Villa Park and we are playing to go ahead of you on Sunday.

None of this is to undermine exactly what Grealish brings. He's an astonishing footballer, as good as we have produced since Brian Little. So of course we are going to miss him when he is out, but throw in a few additional curve balls and you have the mess that we became. Thankfully, we still managed to grind out the draws which see us where we are today. Breathing down your necks. Delighted to take you on, any time and anywhere.

Hopefully Wembley. 

Dont really have to imagine mate, our injury issues are well documented and continue to this day lol. Cooper has missed 10 games, Jansson has missed 7, Hernandez has missed 7, Ayling has missed 8, Douglas has missed 8 (will be 10 and then the 2 for playoffs),  Ali is out for the rest of the season, Bamford has missed 23, Roofe has missed 13 (will be 14 on Sunday) Berardi has missed 24, Forshaw has missed 14 games, Dallas has missed 13 games, Clarke missed 6, Shacks missed 3, and there may be more i cant find.

Managers have to find a way imo, no way we should be top 3 with an injury list like that. 

I will concede Hernandez is the 2nd best player in the league if you concede Jack is 10th? 😁 That was the FFT vote result.

Make a good point about draws actually, you have lost fewer then us, but we have more wins, while our gung ho attitude is exciting do feel it has cost us at times.

Passing out from the back, so can understand why cb issues would hinder you although i do refer to my post about our own issues, can teams really complain about injuries as an excuse when the team in 3rd has had that? 

Definitely respectful of your form and some quality players, worried about our own form and more worryingly the seeming confidence drain.

However dont see why we should fear anyone if it is to be playoffs, we have beaten all of you at least once if it stays this way for the top 6.

We are the best of the rest officially and with Norwich have spent by far the longest top and top 2 (no other sides even close in that respect including the Blades).

Apprehensive and disappointed atm but once/if playoffs are confirmed excitement should return😊

Hopefully we can lay a marker down on Sunday and have another side in the playoffs who we have done the double over (Bristol City or Derby would be one) or if not, provided Boro dont make it should we beat you then whether its Bristol City or Derby with us you and WBA we will have beaten every side in the playoffs last time we met😄.

Come to think of it i cant remember how the playoffs work🤔 3rd play 5th then 4th play 6th? That it.

20 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To put things further in perspective for you @Cjay over the last 10 games we have conceded 5 goals, 1 penalty and 4 from open play. One of those was a cross and another a goalkeeping error, spilling a free kick. So essentially 2 legitimate team goals. Two. In ten games.

So no, as important as he is it isn't all about Jack.

Thats decent, it was always your defensive issues that imo made you weak, if those are sorted that does worry me tbh.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Passing out from the back, so can understand why cb issues would hinder you although i do refer to my post about our own issues, can teams really complain about injuries as an excuse when the team in 3rd has had that? 

I wasn't really complaining, I was explaining. As you've said, you've had injuries of your own. Injuries and suspensions are nothing new in football. In fact, we had 3 centre halves out on Monday (Tuanzebe, Chester and Hause) and low and behold, with time given to the manager to build the team, identity and the squad we coped a lot better. But I'm not kidding when I say our defence at one point was Hutton - Elphick - Bree - Elmo. It's hard to describe to you just how bad that looks in practice. 

Also side note - Four Four Two magazine stated in their piece on Grealish that if he had been fit all season he'd be at number 1, did they not?

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2019 at 06:38, Hornso said:

Chance for one of the sides to strike a psychological blow on the other ahead of the playoffs.

I don't believe this is an actual thing. 

Just look at the spurs Vs man city results the last few days. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I don't believe this is an actual thing. 

Just look at the spurs Vs man city results the last few days. 

Depends how the game goes though, Man City really apart from 2 defensive brain farts played spurs off the park for most of the second leg. Team talk does itself in that case for the league game, hey presto, clean sheet and job done when Spurs come back a few days later. 

Stakes are now so high potentially the next time we play Leeds after Sunday, all the one on one's will take on a new significance, if someone has got his direct opponent in their pocket then it gives manager's something to think about next time out at least. Not to mention the effect on the player.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

True. Funny you should say that actually, we have a point more than you since Smith took over... ;)

As we celebrate promotion you guys can comfort yourselves with that🤗

Edited by Cjay
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wasn't really complaining, I was explaining. As you've said, you've had injuries of your own. Injuries and suspensions are nothing new in football. In fact, we had 3 centre halves out on Monday (Tuanzebe, Chester and Hause) and low and behold, with time given to the manager to build the team, identity and the squad we coped a lot better. But I'm not kidding when I say our defence at one point was Hutton - Elphick - Bree - Elmo. It's hard to describe to you just how bad that looks in practice. 

Also side note - Four Four Two magazine stated in their piece on Grealish that if he had been fit all season he'd be at number 1, did they not?

Did they constantly pass to the left? Would seem the natural thing for a group of right backs to do?😂

Its obvious you have better cbs now, Mings is a good player when fit (not sure he is the full shilling though), Chester is class, dont know much about the other two, Wolves fans dont seem to rate Hause at all.

They did indeed which is there opinion (and I'm sure yours). Always struck me as a cop out that when people say that "if such and such was fit they'd be the best", part of being a professional footballer is being fit,  if you cant stay fit thats your own fault and shouldn't be used as an out.

Grealish clearly is a talented lad but if he cant stay fit then he isnt the best player anywhere consistently and part of being the best is consistency imo which is reflected in the FFT vote, cant judge a player if he hardly plays.

That's part of what sets Pablo and him apart for me and what makes Pablo better. People will always disagree on talent understandably,  Pablo Hernandez is 34 now and probably playing his best football since the Valencia days nearly a decade ago. A real joy is Pablo to watch and i really wish we could have had him in his prime years, around 2010 before injuries started. People forget that Valencia were  a top 3 La Liga side consistently then and Pablo was one of the stars of a side containing David Villa and David  Silva who attracted interest from both Liverpool and Man City, anyway i digress.

Pablo has consistently for years now been a top performer in this league (the most creative player officially since arriving in the Championship) and played the majority of matches, about 83%.

Jack from looking has played maybe 60%? 

While Jack obviously has more potential now imo he cant be considered the best because he just hasnt played often enough.

That's the difference for me, on his day Grealish is quality at this level same as Pablo, but Grealish isnt fit enough to have enough days😊

No offence Leeds fans (why are they here like all the time!) but this debate is all moot. The only time to discuss this is after the play-off final which hopefully we reach. If that happens and we chalk up a win I might just venture over to your home forum and start haunting you guys. Vice-versa, I guess we'll have to give you credit, but my god it feels like you've been here all along anyway. I bet 200 VT dollars you've all been on Bolton forums lately sharing your 'experience'. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I highly doubt Jack will be playing tomorrow. Think that's the right decision as well. If we were to win as well it would give the players even more belief 

As unlikely as it is if West Brom drop points today then there is no chance we will not play grealish. If we can get 4th then by all means play our bes5 team

I think the resting of Jack is quite important in this one.

He needs a break sometime and Leeds don't really need to see us in full flight to give them any ideas.

Best case scenario is that Sheffield win today and Leeds rest up.