Tactical Masterminding

Django_Zooms

It will be interesting seeing both team sheets on Sunday afternoon; I'm guessing Bielsa won't be as confident (arrogant) to name his starting line up 'days' in advance and will be waiting on the outcome of the Sheffield United result before revealing his selection.

I would probably go 4-5-1 with Steer, Hutton, Tuanzebe, Elphick, Hause, Green, Lansbury, Bjarnsson, Hourihane, Kodjia, Davis.

Might not look the strongest on paper, but the fringe players should be fighting for a play-off place so hopefully they would put in a decent performance.

53 minutes ago, Cjay said:

I cant see how you could afford El Ghazi, Mings, the Wolves lad and Abraham without promotion unless the parent clubs fancy doing you a favour tbh. Dont you have a lot of players out of contract to? Huge rebuilding job surely if you dont get promotion this season?

Its funny how a perceived style of play can placate fans despite results, fans are always more willing to give time if as you say they feel something may come of it in the future.

I like Dean Smith as a manager, not my cup of tea as a person, bit of a chip on his shoulder imo but he does get teams playing good football.

El Ghazi, Mings, McGinn and Grealish were the 4 I was on about. If the option was there to build around them we'd be laughing next year.

We're going up though obvs ;)

There's more to it than style of play. It feels good.

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Mix of the two.

Yes, things are much better (now) under Dean Smith - we tend to control matches far more effectively.  By that, we don't tend to just hold on to the ball at the back for the sake of it (as we did under Bruce); we now build out from the back quickly.  Without the ball, our pressing much higher up the pitch is far better.  Personally, I think we're still vulnerable defensively - as we were under the poor run of form - but rather than soak up pressure, we relieve it in attacking areas of the pitch.

But, of course, having the best player in the Championship (I remember you saying it was Hernandez... it really isn't ;)) fully fit and arguably in the form of his career is a huge boost.

The home game against Bristol City was a big test really.  They had beaten Sheff Utd and Boro away and WBA at home and were in great form.  Obviously, we were in great form too but then Grealish had to miss the game through illness plus we had to deal with Mings' suspension.  It could have been a morale dampener but, instead, we dominated and won easily (despite the scoreline).

So, yeah, a mix.  Grealish being back is fantastic - he's completely irreplaceable - but the team as a whole is much more confident now.  We're not unbeatable at all, but we're not anywhere near as nervy as we have been for some time either, and that's credit to Dean Smith and the coaching team IMO.

Takes time for most teams to adapt to a new style tbf and not surprised that having got a few players in you did improve.

Grealish wears Pablo pyjamas though😏

Wins breed confidence i suppose, once teams get a few and confidence builds then runs happen, 10wins on the spin is impressive.

5 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I think there are two parts to this. The first "Are thing better under DS?" The quick answer is yes. The slightly longer answer, even when we were winning games under Bruce we were never controlling the game. When we went 1 up the plan was always to sit back and try spring a break. It worked at times last season but it was dour football. Under Smith, the players are encouraged to play and actually try to influence the game no matter what the score. I would love to get promoted this season but with DS I'm confident if it doesn't happen this year it will happen next year. 

The second part is about Super Jack, there's no doubt we are a much much better team with him in there. He is so important not only in what he does but also the amount of attention he gets from the opposition which creates space for others. For me he's the best player in this league and any team would miss that in their team. I think most of us know that without promotion this year he will most likely go in the summer, but he's been unplayable at times since he's returned. I'd be tempted to leave him out at the weekend, no doubt Leeds will target him and he doesn't get much protection from refs. Any sort of injury right now could mean missing the playoffs. 

Bruce was always a negative sod, win if you can but dont lose at all costs. Given your defensive frailties i think Smith does suit you, best form of defence is attack, keep the ball up the other end of the pitch, cant concede that way etc.

Been a critic of his (and got pelters for it),  always felt the one thing missing was end product, he seems to have found one a bit tbf to him and maybe Smith's style suits him more and plays to his strengths. Managers and players can become like a match made in heaven (Bielsa and Payet) and imo Smith suits Grealish.

I think should results go as expected we may rest players to tbf, no point risking key players if the game is effectively meaningless.

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

So that's your plan eh! 😂

Wouldn't every team suffer without their best player? Without him it would be alot harder 100% but we have other quality players. McGinn for example is also a vital player 

Tbh we plan on getting Phillips to ruin Jack's hair do, we figure that will leave him in tears and having to be subbed😁🙄

They would true, but your stats without Grealish seem incredibly poor for so long that its a surprise you havent found a way to adapt yet.

Rate Mcginn highly, also a fan of Hourihane who imo is pretty underrated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Jack was a factor in that bad run, the biggest factor admittedly, but there were others things at play I think. If we played those dozen or so fixtures right now, without Jack, I reckon our points return would be much higher.

Regarding resting him for this match, I’m unsure/indifferent to it. 

I can see the argument for playing our best players, going for the win, keeping the momentum going. I can see the argument for not tempting fate and resting players.

I really don’t mind. What could have been a pivotal fixture for both teams (almost a season curtain closer) now appears more likely to be a damp squib. 

In answer to your question, yeah, I think we could rest him and get a result, because I think this game is almost going to be like a friendly in it’s manner, potentially a bit of a free-for-all. Both clubs will be playing with one eye on the fixtures in May.

Should results go how we expect on Saturday id like/hope we will give some of our kids a chance.

Maybe it will end up being the best attended u23 game ever!!!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

El Ghazi, Mings, McGinn and Grealish were the 4 I was on about. If the option was there to build around them we'd be laughing next year.

We're going up though obvs ;)

There's more to it than style of play. It feels good.

McGinn and Grealish would make decent backups tbf for us next season when Pablo and Klich need a rest🙌🙌🙌

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Tbh we plan on getting Phillips to ruin Jack's hair do, we figure that will leave him in tears and having to be subbed😁🙄

They would true, but your stats without Grealish seem incredibly poor for so long that its a surprise you havent found a way to adapt yet.

Rate Mcginn highly, also a fan of Hourihane who imo is pretty underrated.

That poor run w/o Grealish was also without a defence pretty much. Chester was playing through injury every week and hasn't featured for that reason since we had the option to play someone else in there. Tuanzebe was out and was our only way out from the back, he held it together during the good run when Smith first came in. Lansbury was injured (surprise) who until we got Carroll was the only player who could play Jack's role other than Jack. 

Once the new signings had bedded in a bit it coincided with Jack coming back and it all clicked. Had it just been Jack that was out, not us having a totally unbalanced squad before Jan that meant one or two injuries at the back left us without a defence, not having other injuries too etc. then we probably would have got a few more points through the worst run. We recently won without Jack in the side and we have at least half a dozen players on the scoresheet in the last run of wins, and plenty turning up wit assists too. 

That said, our captain is rightly the first name on the team sheet. Imagine if your captain was from woodhouse or little london and was a **** top drawer attacking talent. You'd probably miss him when injured too right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

id worry that resting a few  players sends a message to the rest that they are expendable

Nah, footballers aren’t daft, they know some players are more critical, they know some players might benefit from a rest, and they all want to be part of a squad that gets promoted whether they then leave or stay.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, romavillan said:

That poor run w/o Grealish was also without a defence pretty much. Chester was playing through injury every week and hasn't featured for that reason since we had the option to play someone else in there. Tuanzebe was out and was our only way out from the back, he held it together during the good run when Smith first came in. Lansbury was injured (surprise) who until we got Carroll was the only player who could play Jack's role other than Jack. 

Once the new signings had bedded in a bit it coincided with Jack coming back and it all clicked. Had it just been Jack that was out, not us having a totally unbalanced squad before Jan that meant one or two injuries at the back left us without a defence, not having other injuries too etc. then we probably would have got a few more points through the worst run. We recently won without Jack in the side and we have at least half a dozen players on the scoresheet in the last run of wins, and plenty turning up wit assists too. 

That said, our captain is rightly the first name on the team sheet. Imagine if your captain was from woodhouse or little london and was a **** top drawer attacking talent. You'd probably miss him when injured too right?

Did expect you to improve if you improved the defence, bit pathetic on Bruces part that given the funds you needed to improve anything tbh.

Your ffp situation is a source of bafflement tbf😂

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Roofe, Alioski & Douglas all out... full strength here and I can't see anything other than a Villa win.

Good news for us if true, I think Alioski is one of the best players in the division, I’d take him here in the Summer regardless of what division we’re in

Yup a sheffield utd game tomorrow basically means that even with leeds beating us, Leeds can't finish higher than 3rd. Leeds would need to make up a 11 goal differential in 2 matches and that is assuming sheff utd don't increase their tally.