Stadia

dubbs

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But the price is lower isn't it? £10 a month for all the games you can play if it's similar to how Netflix works? That's nothing.

That's not how Stadia works. 

£10 a month gets you access to Stadia Pro which will include a collection of older games that will be added to overtime. The core of the service though is buying new releases for £50, similar to every other major gaming platform. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Daweii said:

That's not how Stadia works. 

£10 a month gets you access to Stadia Pro which will include a collection of older games that will be added to overtime. The core of the service though is buying new releases for £50, similar to every other major gaming platform. 

OOOOooooooooOOOOOOoooooooOOOHHHhhhhhHHhhhHHhhHhHhhhhhhhhh

In that case I misunderstood the pricing. And yes that is a bit steep then. 

So yeah I agree with the consensus. I have no problem with not owning media, but it has to be priced as such. If I'm still paying £50 for something I don't own then that's steep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

So yeah I agree with the consensus. I have no problem with not owning media, but it has to be priced as such. If I'm still paying £50 for something I don't own then that's steep.

That's where my head is at. I don't mind not owning my own games necessarily, but there is a different mental leap to take between owning the game on a hard drive, and owning the game on a server that given Googles history could be shut down in a few years if Stadia doesn't succeed.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeat that's my feelings too stevo. The pricing I think should be about what you said. £10 a month £15 tops. 

I can't see it being that popular at that price. Extortionate 

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but PSN you do own the games. Just not a hard copy. Like buying an album on MP3

that's the thing, I have no interest in owning it the day after I've completed it

I currently own 1 game, days gone, when its completed it will be traded for something else, I don't collect games, the most I will own at any time is 3 and that's dropping thanks to game pass, EA access, PS+ and games with gold

me being a member of all of those I can see and accept the way its the going but I still don't see how a digital only game costing 50-60 sheets will ever appeal to me

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed with this. Why would I pay full retail for a digital game, when I can pay for a physical copy, then trade it in for a good chunk of its value when I'm done with it? This is probably something that's going to be increasingly impossibe though, Sony and Microsoft will be going digital only eventually, and I'd expect next gen to have quite a few big digital exclusives..

Another thing to throw in to the mix is that while I will pay for games on PSN/Steam, I do so knowing that I'm paying for a game on an established platform, from a company that is heavily invested in the industry. Looking at Google's past record, I don't have much confidence this thing will still be going in 2-3 years, so I'm unlikely to sink any money in to it in the short term.

If it's still going, I may end up trying it out when I'm next due to sink several hundred pounds in to a new GPU, though...

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I think I got it all wrong then.

You will be able to buy games for this? It's not just a streaming service?

If so, I might be interested.

You buy access to games. So you can pay to stream a game. It'll also have a streaming library of older games for a subscription.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

You buy access to games. So you can pay to stream a game. It'll also have a streaming library of older games for a subscription.

Not sure about that, I need to look into this I think. How much does access cost? Is it per game or per month and is there a set period to subscribe?

20 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Not sure about that, I need to look into this I think. How much does access cost? Is it per game or per month and is there a set period to subscribe?

Stadia is monetised on two fronts;

The first method is buying games outright as if it was any other store. That said you can't download them, or install them like traditional games, you can only stream them. 

The other method is a £9.99 subscription model (Stadia Pro) akin to PlayStation Plus/Xbox Live Gold where you get a free game per month. Though as with both of those you can only play the free games while you remain subscribed. 

Personally I don't know how well Stadia will do. The way Stadia is set up isn't conducive of a good time. Imagine Spotify if it was £9.99 to get one free album per month, while every other album was £12.99. Now imagine that for games that cost between £50-£90 depending on the edition you want. There is a reason Spotify is £9.99 for access to 40+ million songs. There is a reason Netflix is £11.99 a month for access to everything on the service. For Stadia to work I think it really needs to be the Netflix of gaming, I don't see a game streaming service succeeding if it isn't doing that.

PS. Stadia Pro subscription isn't really optional either. If you want to stream games in 4K/HDR/5.1 Surround then you are required to pay £9.99, so Stadia is £120 a year whether you buy any games or not. 

Indeed.

Streaming has become entwined with the subscription model, except where it can slip into impulse buy territory (i.e. I've 'rented' a film from Amazon before now, but only because it was like, £3). I just can't see people signing up to a service where they are required to pay full whack for access to something with exceptionally little benefit (arguably detrimental, actually) compared to any version of outright 'owning' it.

Now there is the issue that ownership in the digital age is increasingly a complex term - in the age of the digital download of a game that ownership is basically for as long as the rights holder allows it, and thus it's entirely likely that anyone that bought a digital download of a game a few years back, even, might no longer have access to it (the P.T. thing, for instance. Or bizarrely stuff like physical copies of Spiderman Web of Shadows, which is now worth a shitload because you can't get hold of it anymore). But still... theres a psychological barrier, I think, to paying for something and OWNING it, and paying for something to ACCESS it. I, for instance, will not pay full whack for a digital game (the exception obviously being the, usually cheaper anyway, digital only releases we used to think of as 'indie'). I own digital games, across a variety of platforms, but none were bought at RRP, only ever in sales where the price became more justifiable for me mentally, knowing that the purchase has no value in reality.

I cannot see me ever paying for streaming like Google wants me to. I could see, if the technology was good enough and the value proposition right, going for the vaunted 'Netflix style' approach - a reasonable flat fee granting me access to a library of games, including new releases. But I just can't see that happening any time soon.

Been trying the xbox xcloud preview for the past couple of days on my phone & if the streaming works as well for stadia as it does on that then it should be good. Other than the text being a bit too small to read on a small screen at times it is generaly very, very good and if you're doing some travelling/commuting you can just chuck a controller in your bag and you're good to go, With the onset of 5g coming it should iron out any potential glitches from 4g streaming speeds on the go There is going to be very little need for any sort of console or even PC soon, PSnow is now available through a pc and there is the gamepass pc service too, if they can just get it so you just download an App straight to your tv/tablet/phone, sync a bluetooth controller & away you go it would be rather nice.

18 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Been trying the xbox xcloud preview for the past couple of days on my phone & if the streaming works as well for stadia as it does on that then it should be good. Other than the text being a bit too small to read on a small screen at times it is generaly very, very good and if you're doing some travelling/commuting you can just chuck a controller in your bag and you're good to go, With the onset of 5g coming it should iron out any potential glitches from 4g streaming speeds on the go There is going to be very little need for any sort of console or even PC soon, PSnow is now available through a pc and there is the gamepass pc service too, if they can just get it so you just download an App straight to your tv/tablet/phone, sync a bluetooth controller & away you go it would be rather nice.

I think that the streaming speeds are not very important. You'll be able to play games if you can stream Youtube. Having a connection will be enough, it can just increase compression or reduce resolution. Most of the time in a gmae this won't matter.

Serious gamers will still buy gaming rigs and worry about frame rates at 4k. People that want to play games will just play games.

It's going to be interesting to see - which is why I'm happy being an early adopter.

• 5 weeks later...
Â