Stadia

dubbs

On 11/10/2019 at 14:33, villarule123 said:

I would never pay money to stream a game (singular) in the same way I've never paid a service like Google Play Movies to watch a movie. 

Only a Netflix model will work with this.

I think it will work fine for plenty of people. I have an xbox one x & ps4 pro but my pc can't run anything that looks that sort of standard. If there were some pc only games I wanted to play I could just subscribe to this for a month or two, buy the game I wanted & play in 4k straight on my TV with no need for a pc at all. If you don't already have a console as an alternative or don't fancy spending £500 on next years xbox/ps5 but still want to play some of the latest games it would be a much cheaper option than spending a grand + on a pc that you would need to update every couple of years anyway. If you are just playing mostly single player games any occasional latency/lag caused by streaming isn't really anything other than a minor annoyance. Games streamed straight to your tv with the only thing you need being a controller is the future. Nobody will be making/buying physical consoles after this next cycle. I have been part of the xcloud preview and it works well. Once it is fully up and running and everything just works directly to the tv with all the gamepass games available I would have no need for a console & would happily do without one

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

How will games work? Is it a case of developers having to take into account different hardware or will ever PC game be released?

I don’t see getting developers to agree to put their games on the platform as a problem with Google’s pull.

I’ve been thinking about getting back into gaming after about 10 years and find this very interesting. 

My only big concern is internet performance. I can get relatively fast top speeds where I am in London but every provider I’ve used has had massive problems with connections cutting and at peak times it slows massively.

18 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

My only big concern is internet performance. I can get relatively fast top speeds where I am in London but every provider I’ve used has had massive problems with connections cutting and at peak times it slows massively.

Change broadband provider if your broadband is crap.

Often "crap broadband" is down to crap hardware. When did you last update your router?

10 minutes ago, limpid said:

Change broadband provider if your broadband is crap.

Often "crap broadband" is down to crap hardware. When did you last update your router?

I'm in a shared house at the moment so not sure on details, but in my current postcode on the border of zones 2 and 3 in London I've had EE, Vodafone and Virgin and all have been dodgy.

I did look at changing the router at my last place and never ended up doing it because I assumed the massive block of flats next to me might have had something to do with the unreliability. Is this actually a thing?

32 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm in a shared house at the moment so not sure on details, but in my current postcode on the border of zones 2 and 3 in London I've had EE, Vodafone and Virgin and all have been dodgy.

I did look at changing the router at my last place and never ended up doing it because I assumed the massive block of flats next to me might have had something to do with the unreliability. Is this actually a thing?

Google recommend that you don't use Stadia when other people are using your internet, so it might not be good for you. I guess it'll depend on whether you want 4k or are happy with lower resolution.

By updating your router, I went applying the latest software to it. Few people ever do this. I'm not sure what you mean by "connections cutting" - do you man certain apps stop?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, limpid said:

By updating your router, I went applying the latest software to it. Few people ever do this. I'm not sure what you mean by "connections cutting" - do you man certain apps stop?

Basically when it’s running fine and quick and then disconnects for a few minutes.

On 21/11/2019 at 18:56, limpid said:

Not yet. I didn't go for the founders edition. Mine's due on Monday/Tuesday.

I got my activation code while at the match tonight. Hardware due tomorrow. Just got to find time to play the thing now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had time to play a bit this week. Played a few hours of Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The whole system just works.

It sometimes whinges about my 15Mb broadband when something else starts doing something, but setting it to the priority device on my router fixes that.

• 3 months later...
Â